What is the common denomenator?

CoachX

A few days late but I wanted to reflect on the Capitals game.....

As we know they came out firing and took a commanding lead. I'm not surprised that there was big hits and a minor brawl. It reminded me of the Flyers of old, specifically a Flyer vs NYI game where Berube dropped the gloves on the opening faceoff, then Al Secord, Rick Tocchet and even KJell Samuelson went right after that. There were ejections and then the Flyers took a four goal lead in the first and cruised.

This franchise in recent years has conisstently (my opinion) assembled teams that cannot finish. Thery get big leads and sit back, only to watch them disappear. Since this sickness has continued regardless of coach, goalie, roster and GM, I'm wondering watch the cause is? It almost seems like this franchise is identified as much by collapse now, as it was for legendary toughness until the last decade or so.

I just dont get it

don't get me wrong, this is not me being negative-nancy with my head buried in the sand. I just think its an interesting topic on what I see as a common issue. Im glad they won and I am hoping for the best. I think Berube is a suprisingly good coach. But you cannpt deny that the team we saw in the first period was different then the third, and this is not the first time its happened

Is there a deeper issue that comes with playing for the Flyers?

I think it comes down to good players that haven't "grown together" , not having a core of guys that really know each other, the roster turns over significantly every 3 years or so,  If that stops I bet we see a team that will be more consistent. 

talk to Ed , he won't listen to me... :D

• Like 2

don't get me wrong, this is not me being negative-nancy with my head buried in the sand. I just think its an interesting topic on what I see as a common issue. Im glad they won and I am hoping for the best. I think Berube is a suprisingly good coach. But you cannpt deny that the team we saw in the first period was different then the third, and this is not the first time its happened

No. Hockey players are like baseball players, they can be very streaky. I think the length of the season makes it hard to sustain a level of play all year and lends itself to up-and-down play.

Edited by fanaticV3.0
  • Like 1

What fanatic said. I think most teams that go up 3 or 4 - 0 tend to let off. I think that most teams that come out flat and go down by 2 or 3 will turn it up. It happens at every level. Not always, but more than not.

• Like 2

What fanatic said. I think most teams that go up 3 or 4 - 0 tend to let off. I think that most teams that come out flat and go down by 2 or 3 will turn it up. It happens at every level. Not always, but more than not.

Yeah, this. Plenty of teams get up a few goals and then get complacent. Happens in every sport.

@flyercanuck @JackStraw

I agree. We see it all the time. You guys don't think there is a trend here with the Flyers though?

I think they're a young team and young teams are susceptible to up and down stuff. As they get better as a team they'll develop more of a killer instinct.

There was a point about mid-way through the 2nd where the Flyers were on the PP. The puck came to Jake near the right circle and he had a great scoring chance, but he passed cross-ice to Giroux, obviously trying to get G the hat trick. I thought, "no! don't do that! bury them." Then a few seconds later Jake gets the puck again, same place, and does the same thing. That's the kind of thing that can let the game get away from you. Trying to be a nice guy and help out your mate, but taking your foot off the gas.

I think they're a young team and young teams are susceptible to up and down stuff. As they get better as a team they'll develop more of a killer instinct.

There was a point about mid-way through the 2nd where the Flyers were on the PP. The puck came to Jake near the right circle and he had a great scoring chance, but he passed cross-ice to Giroux, obviously trying to get G the hat trick. I thought, "no! don't do that! bury them." Then a few seconds later Jake gets the puck again, same place, and does the same thing. That's the kind of thing that can let the game get away from you. Trying to be a nice guy and help out your mate, but taking your foot off the gas.

I agree with you, with a ya, but. If Giroux scores there (he fanned on the one timer, right?) it's a pretty cool thing Jake did to get his linemate the hattie. It's a fine line between doing what's right, and being a great teammate.

I agree with you, with a ya, but. If Giroux scores there (he fanned on the one timer, right?) it's a pretty cool thing Jake did to get his linemate the hattie. It's a fine line between doing what's right, and being a great teammate.

If it had been 4-0 midway through the 3rd I'd be fine with it. But with half the game to go I'd rather they seal the deal first.

I'd rather they keep doing the things that got them the lead and build on that leading to the playoffs. After all, it was this type of play that got the first two for Giroux

I'd rather they keep doing the things that got them the lead and build on that leading to the playoffs. After all, it was this type of play that got the first two for Giroux

That's my thinking. Don't give up prime scoring chances to help a team-mate. Put the hammer down...

3f7b302e5c3f044e500197ef54a045fcb23d923b

With a big lead it seems there is also a tendency to play not to lose. Don't take a chance on looking bad by making a mistake when they should still be aggressive.Although in this NHL 4 goals is not a  big lead just a good start.

Edited by Phlyer1

this,  

I think they do play for each other too... i like the makeup of our team, they seem to like each other and I think that is something that gets overlooked occasionally.  I know we all talk about being good in the room but for this young group , and the last young group , think it's important.

This franchise in recent years has conisstently (my opinion) assembled teams that cannot finish.

This team has already set the franchise record in come back (third period) wins.  They've scored 73 goals in the third period, second most in the league. If that's not finishing well, I don't know what is.

Ok. They have played well coming from behind. How can you not be happy about that? Except that well, they were behind. You can't really overlook that they were up big on the caps and squandered that lead.

I'm not banging away at the team with the usual pessimistic attitude. I like they team as it assembled. I don't feel confident they are a true contender yet. But they are going in the right direction, and anything can happen. My point is looking at this team for a longer period of time. Lets just back track a few seasons to the playoffs. They had a commnaind lead against the Penguins only to watch it, and the playoffs go bye-bye. It seems to me that this is quite often the case with the Flyers. I personally think it has everything to do with the upper management. I think ed Snider has become the Jerry Jones of the NHL

The last few GMs have been from the same school. Which seems to be the "ba an ass to yor players and waste money however Snider says" school.

Also, keep in mind Clarke hasn't fine anywhere. He's still in the building. As much as you point out about turnover, a lot of the same people are all there someplace. Hence the old boys club nicknames.

Scouts are the same aren't they? They're the guys picking the players really.

Could be Mccrossin too. His conditionin ideas may just stink and be out of date.

But more than likely, hockey's just really tough at this level. The flyers have come back from behind a record number of times this year which proves that if swings both ways.

Teams are just good. They can all come back on you. Finishing anyone off isn't a piece of cake.

The cap and profit sharing really has evened teams out more.

It's exactly what they set out to do. No game is ever safely won until it's over.