best and worst goalie tandems

yave1964

In your opinion, who are the best and worst goalie tandems in hockey today?

I got to thinking about this subject after chatting with Jammer about the Oilers finally having an NHL worthy pairing in net for the first time since God knows how long, and I got to thinking, who are some of the best and worst combos in the game today?

Tandems are not necessarily two future hall of famers fighting for playing time like Glenn Hall and Sawchuk back in the day  to me it is a combo of a star goalie and a serviceable backup, not necessarily even one who a team would want as a starter. Players such as Cam Talbot, Jeff Zatkoff and Alex Stalock who are certainly not starters in anyones book have been fantastic off the bench.

In my opinion the best combo in the game this season has been the Combo in Boston of Rask and Chad Johnson. I have been hard on Rask for being a system goalie but the system works. Both have put up lights out numbers.

My top 5:

1. Boston  Rask and Johnson

2. Rangers Lundqvist and Talbot

3. Sharks Niemi and Stalock

4. Penguins Fleury and Zatkoff

5. Avalanche Varlamov and Giguere

Honorable mention to Montreal (Price and Budaj, the three goalies in Los Angeles and the ten goalies in Anaheim)

The worst tandems in the game this season IMHO starts with the two in Winipeg, Pavelec is consistently among the worst starters in net (the only thing he offers any consistency in) and Montoya is a 29 year old career AHL goalie with no real pedigree who stumbled into a job simply because it was vacant. The Jets are a playoff team IF they have average goaltending, this pair quite frankly ruined their season.

Bottom five IMHO

1. Jets Pavelec and Montoya

2. Senators  Anderson and Lehner

3. Islanders Nabokov and Poulin

4. Predators Rinne (injury) and the wretched combo of career AHLers they threw out there

5. Flames Joey MacDonald (!) and every goalie from Europe not signed by the Ducks

This is my list, anyone else care to give it a shot?

Edited by yave1964

My top 5:

1. Boston Rask and Johnson

2. Rangers Lundqvist and Talbot

3. Sharks Niemi and Stalock

4. Penguins Fleury and Zatkoff

5. Avalanche Varlamov and Giguere

Personally, I would move Niemi and Stalock up to top billing and I would give the Pens credit for Vokoun and the work he did last year(or until injury). Lundqvist seems to play so many games that it is hard to consider that a tandem. Kind of like Broduer was in his earlier prime.

Personally, I would move Niemi and Stalock up to top billing and I would give the Pens credit for Vokoun and the work he did last year(or until injury). Lundqvist seems to play so many games that it is hard to consider that a tandem. Kind of like Broduer was in his earlier prime.

Lundqvist always seems to play 70 games a year but this season with Talbot emerging as a truly solid backup the King has had to play less and they are hoping it translates into post season success. I think Talbot, who really came from nowhere after years in the AHL as a mediocre player has stepped up admirably.

Crawford never gets any love, but he and Raanta easily make my top five.

I'm going to put the Detroit goalies among the worst. I know injuries and all that throughout the roster all season, but competent goaltending and they're not fighting for their playoff lives.

My top 5:

1.  Ducks Hiller and Anderson

2.  Boston  Rask and Johnson

3.  Sharks Niemi and Stalock

4.  Rangers Lundqvist and Talbot

4.  Blues Miller and Elliot

5.  Kings Quick and Jones

Bottom 5

1.  Edmonton's goalies all season

2.  Nabokov and Poulin

3.  Florida's goaltending until Luongo 

4.  Rinne and ?

5.  Pavelec and Montoya

Crawford never gets any love, but he and Raanta easily make my top five.

I'm going to put the Detroit goalies among the worst. I know injuries and all that throughout the roster all season, but competent goaltending and they're not fighting for their playoff lives.

Howard has been wretched. The ONLY reason I did not list the Wings in the bottom five is the Monster has been lights out 15-4-3. He is the reason the Wings are still in the running. Howard is the reason we are a bubble team and not a lock. He did this last year after signing his big contract but was great over the final month and was the big reason we got in. Gus really has been miles ahead our best goalie this year. Ugh.

Howard has been wretched. The ONLY reason I did not list the Wings in the bottom five is the Monster has been lights out 15-4-3. He is the reason the Wings are still in the running. Howard is the reason we are a bubble team and not a lock. He did this last year after signing his big contract but was great over the final month and was the big reason we got in. Gus really has been miles ahead our best goalie this year. Ugh.

I don't disagree with your assessment of either (I'd be foolish to since you get to watch them more closely than I do).  But I think what you describe is what would make me put them in the bottom.  As good as the "backup" is, the "starter" has been lousy.  Not what you want for a top tandem.

I don't disagree with your assessment of either (I'd be foolish to since you get to watch them more closely than I do).  But I think what you describe is what would make me put them in the bottom.  As good as the "backup" is, the "starter" has been lousy.  Not what you want for a top tandem.

Well you just inspired me to put my list of every teams biggest disappointments in another post, lol. I get your point with the Wings goalies, especially Howard but early in the year the only thing that kept us from falling into lottery status was Gustafsson. That is awful hard to say. I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. 

I know this thread is about current goalies, but when I see horrible tandems, I always think of Toronto's Allan Bester and Ken Wregget. Their stats may not have been totally brutal, but their play was. I can't even begin to tell you how much money I made of Leaf fans during their "era"..

I know this thread is about current goalies, but when I see horrible tandems, I always think of Toronto's Allan Bester and Ken Wregget. Their stats may not have been totally brutal, but their play was. I can't even begin to tell you how much money I made of Leaf fans during their "era"..

Funny! I read that just as I was driving past Ken Wregget's house!   LOL