Ovechkin leads NHL in Plus/Minus rating

nossagog

Oh shoot,  sorry I had that sorted wrong. :D

Ovechkin in now LAST in the NHL in +/-.   I know that some people are not a fan of the stat, but this seems to be very telling.  I need to look back in the archives and see if there has been another Rocket Richard winner with such a bad +/- in general, let alone being last in the NHL, that's 858 out of 858.

Don't get me wrong,  I still think that Ovi is one of the, if not THE most dangerous players on the ice offensively. But this only solidifies what alot of people have said about him in the past.  He doesn't care about defense, and floats around if he's not in the offensive zone.

If my team was on a power play in overtime of game 7, damn Ovi is one of my first picks to be there. But for the rest of the game?  I'd rather have a few others.   I'm not sure if has just lost his passion, or whether he's given up on the Caps in general.  He just does not seem like the same player he was.

Stats are Stats, but this one is bizarre.

@nossagog

I know a lot of people will disagree, and that's their prerogative...but OV isn't in my top ten players in the NHL. Yes he's an excellent goal scorer. His team is built around him. And every year I'd love to draw them in the playoffs. The guy just couldn't care a less when he doesn't have the puck.

I put one in here early in the season about the special treatment that Ovechkin is getting from Oates and how much it has helped get his career back on track. But it looks like Ovie has taken advantage of it and if the club does not make the playoffs Ovie may have to break in another coach.

I'm happy as heck to have Ovechkin on my fantasy hockey team.

On an actual hockey team? Not so much.

He can be better than he plays, which is not something you want in a talented performer. If he wants to play defense, he can.

He just doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...

But it looks like Ovie has taken advantage of it and if the club does not make the playoffs Ovie may have to break in another coach.

I think its going to be the other way around. I smell a Kovy situation coming down the pike. Washington internally and externally has had enough of him. Half his points have come on the PP. Even strength, he is on the ice for 2 goals scored against for for every point he produces (note- not goal). 

A while back (5-6 years ago), I thought he was better than Crosby (perhaps because of my disdain for Crosby at the time), but now, Ovie can not hold a candle to Crosby and the Hart he got last year was a travesty. He should just put the Caps out of their misery and go play in the KHL. 

I think its going to be the other way around. I smell a Kovy situation coming down the pike. Washington internally and externally has had enough of him. Half his points have come on the PP. Even strength, he is on the ice for 2 goals scored against for for every point he produces (note- not goal).

A while back (5-6 years ago), I thought he was better than Crosby (perhaps because of my disdain for Crosby at the time), but now, Ovie can not hold a candle to Crosby and the Hart he got last year was a travesty. He should just put the Caps out of their misery and go play in the KHL.

When he was playing a higher-energy game, hitting more and, yes, playing a little defense now and again we was arguably a better player than Crosby. At this point Crosby is head, shoulders, knees and toes above OV - as an all-around hockey player.

I think Washington's been caught in the classic trap of giving their star player too much too soon. The contract is ridiculous and didn't do much to lower the $9.5M cap hit they face through 2021. Putting the C on him is a disaster. They gave up a young 20-goal scorer in Tomas Fleischmann to "complete their defense" with Scott Hannan - and then didn't re-sign him. The Erat trade was an egregious foible (which has in a roundabout way landed them Halak - who could walk as well). Semin (the franchise's fifth leading career goal scorer) walked for nothing.

They've fired coach after coach and cycled through "promising" goalie prospect after "promising" goalie prospect.

If you look at their roster, it's Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom and... Brooks Laich? Troy Brower? Mikhail Grabovski?

There's no "there" there - and nothing really exciting in the system behind them. You think the Flyers have a bad track record of drafting and trading picks? Look at the Caps.