Braydenn Schenn to 4th line

caluso

@fanaticV3.0

Most of the guys I play hockey with are Leaf fans. I was taking some pretty good abuse earlier in the season about how lobsided that trade was. But most of them have come around and are seeing it my way the way JVR (among others) disappeared when it came to crunch time. They're still happy about the trade, just not so happy with JVR.

Tell them to nut up, lol. If they are unhappy with him now, they ain't seen **** compared to when we had him. He was sooo frustrating here.

Hartnell does a lot of things Schenn can't.

Which means little in the scope of a salary conversation on this teamm I guess.

Doesn't Hartnell make more than that and he's never done either of those two things if I remember correctly?

Scare yet, lol? I don't think he gets $3 mil, I'm just sayin'.

I think you could include Benn, McDonough, Simmonds, Pacioretty, Subban

I was thinking of the first 10, not the first round. But good point. Pacioretty the only other first rounder. Subban, Simmonds were second rounders and Jamie Benn was a 5th rounder (nice pick!)

You know, what he does in the "Taking the abuse" department is something that I think is overlooked a lot.

To produce as much as he does while meanwhile playing hard in the nasty areas he plays in and drawing the abuse in his direction (and say away from Jake and G) can't really be overstated.  It's impossible to put a metric on, but I think it's certainly under appreciated by some of us sometimes.

I've grown to like Hartnell over the years. He's not as dumb as he used to be. He's still ridiculously overpaid.

@King Knut

HOW DO PERFORMANCE BONUSES COUNT AGAINST THE CAP?

Under the collective bargaining agreement struck in 2013, a performance bonus cushion is in place for all years of the deal, including the last one in 2021-22.

The performance bonus cushion allows teams to exceed the upper limit with performance bonuses to a maximum of 7.5 percent of the upper limit.

For example, if the upper limit is $64,300,000, teams can exceed it by $4,822,500 in performance bonuses. Any performances bonuses in excess of that total do not fall into the cushion and are counted as part of the team's cap payroll.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-performance-bonuses-count-against-the-cap

the flyers have a total of $3.2mil in bonuses *possible*.  which is to say, there is no way they can go over the bonus cushion.  which is to say, there is no reason to think about schenn's cap hit as anything more than $870k.

in your honest opinion, what would you do with Schenn?

as i said, i find it odd that they have not yet re-signed him.

I don't, not really. Honestly, I think the Flyers' habit of resigning early is odd. They have until the end of June to qualify him, and then all summer to actually sign him. Don't see any reason to rush. This could be a telling post season for him, may as well see how he handles it and negotiate from there.

He'll be resigned. If nothing else, you don't let 20 goal RFAs walk. He's tradeable, if for some reason the Flyers decide they don't want him back.

Personally, he is at the very least a fair quality second line player, with consistency issues that shouldn't be surprising for a kid in his first several years as a pro. Something like 2 years, $2.5mil sounds about right. Revisit when he's 25 and two years from UFA.

• Like 1

I'm thinking it is a tagging issue and they went with signing MacDonald over Schenn because Schenn is a RFA that they can keep his rights with a qualifier.

IMO the Flyers match anything up until the $5M level (1/2/3 picks as compensation) and there isn't likely to be a team that wants to give up a 1/2/3 for BSchenn at this point.

I don't, not really. Honestly, I think the Flyers' habit of resigning early is odd. They have until the end of June to qualify him, and then all summer to actually sign him. Don't see any reason to rush. This could be a telling post season for him, may as well see how he handles it and negotiate from there.

He'll be resigned. If nothing else, you don't let 20 goal RFAs walk. He's tradeable, if for some reason the Flyers decide they don't want him back.

Personally, he is at the very least a fair quality second line player, with consistency issues that shouldn't be surprising for a kid in his first several years as a pro. Something like 2 years, $2.5mil sounds about right. Revisit when he's 25 and two years from UFA.

i agree - he will be re-signed. and, i think your cap hit is fair.

i have a sneaking suspicion he's going to be dealt, though.

It's a two way street. His agent might want to do the negotiations in the summer for some reason.

It might not be himer's call.

In my honest opinion? I think it's silly to trade him unless a guy named Weber is involved. Schenn isn't the most amazing center on earth and probably won't ever be that great, but he's solid and getting better and still young.

With all the centers plus Laughton currently on the team, I admit to Schenn looking the most expendable. I think by deadline or draft day next year we'll have a solid idea of whether or not to trade him for some alternate increased value.

With all that in mind, I'd definitely have tried him at wing at some point in the season because the chances are good you going to want to do it next.

Right now, goal totals not withstanding, Coots is more invaluable to the team than Schenner to me.

I think they sign Schenn in the off season to a trade friendly contract and see how it goes over the next year. If he plays hardball and won't sign cheap, them they trade him to the team with the highest pick or best D-Man on offer.

Schenn's still got potential, and is a fairly decent player already, but the staffing situation in the middle in this town being what it is, he's far from untouchable.

That's my POV anyway.

Not just the salary, but the draft picks they'd cough up too. Only homer goes for stuff like that these days.

Then again maybe There are some crazy GMs out there looking to stick it to Homer (Pouille, Stevie Y).

That was a joke, btw.

Speaking of yzerman though, he might end up needing a half decent center by the June 2 at this point.

@radoran

Nor is there likely to be a team out there willing to give him $5mil. I don't think there is any offer sheet risk at all.

@King Knut

Pretty sure Yzerman is getting a half decent center next season...Jonathan Drouin. He of 27 points in 9 playoff games for Halifax.

If Flyer take note of the Blue Jackets and how they left Ryan Johansen alone at center not flipping him to the wing and just let him grow into the role Brayden i think will blossom next year....keep him at center i think you see a major uptick next year in his production, if they leave him alone and off the damn wing!!

keep him at center i think you see a major uptick next year in his production, if they leave him alone and off the damn wing!!

all well and good as long as he earns it. Everybody says they expect inconsistency from a young guy. I do too, if you mean he struggles sometimes with positioning or isn't always confident attacking the net (shoot, pass? dump? etc.).

but the inconsistency I've seen looks more like floating, disappearing. The good news - if I'm right - is he still put up very respectable numbers and came up with a bunch of clutch goals.

I wouldn't think of trading away Brayden Schenn unless it's for a big-time D-man, which is something the Flyers truly need. Because imho it's just  possible BSchenn becomes a franchise-player type. All he's lacking is commitment to do what he does best, which is force teams to adjust to him. Instead of waiting to shine in those physical games he has to create those types of games by imposing his will more often. When he does that consistently - Look out. Seriously.

The clock is running though...time is ticking away. He's got to rise to the next level soon. Hey - perfect time now, the NHL Playoffs!