Letang Returns vs. Detroit

B21

Good news.  Glad he's back an healthy.

Penguins defenseman Kris Letang will return to the lineup tonight against Detroit at Consol Energy Center, general manager Ray Shero announced this morning.

Letang, 26, has been out since he had a stroke Jan. 29. He has been practicing with the team for weeks, but it had been unclear whether he would play this season.

Shero said Letang has been pushing to play for some time.

“We don’t take these decisions lightly,” Shero said.

“After a lot of begging and asking me questions and wanting to play, tonight’s the night.”

Shero said Letang and the team have gotten assurances that playing hockey neither caused the stroke nor puts him as risk any more than “going to the grocery store.”

Although Letang still has some bouts of dizziness – “or, what we call unsteadiness,” Shero said – he might have to get used to that being what Shero described as “the new normal.”

Shero said according to Letang’s doctors there’s no way of knowing whether those will bouts will improve or abate.

As for the cause of Letang’s stroke, Shero said most things have been ruled out, including blood clots and heart problems. By process of elimination, things point to the tiny hole in Letang’s heart that was discovered during extensive testing after the stroke.

Letang, a finalist last season for the Norris Trophy as the NHL’s top defenseman, has been limited to 34 games this season because of knee and elbow injuries and the stroke. He has 10 goals, eight assists.

The timing of Letang’s return is important for the Penguins because the playoffs begin next week. There are three games remaining in the regular season – tonight against the Red Wings, Saturday against Philadelphia and Sunday against Ottawa, all at home.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2014/04/09/Letang-to-return-to-Penguins-lineup-today-against-Detroit/stories/201404090156#ixzz2yP1c2OF9

Awesome news and timing.   He'll get three games in before the playoffs start to get some of the rust off.  This could take alot of pressure off of the defense with both he and Martin back in the lineup.

Good news...yes...but.....I don't like this statement....

Although Letang still has some bouts of dizziness – “or, what we call unsteadiness,” Shero said – he might have to get used to that being what Shero described as “the new normal.”

Shero said according to Letang’s doctors there’s no way of knowing whether those will bouts will improve or abate.

As for the cause of Letang’s stroke, Shero said most things have been ruled out, including blood clots and heart problems. By process of elimination, things point to the tiny hole in Letang’s heart that was discovered during extensive testing after the stroke.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2014/04/09/Letang-to-return-to-Penguins-lineup-today-against-Detroit/stories/201404090156#ixzz2yP1c2OF9

Don't get me wrong, despite the jersey he wears, I never wish ill harm to any player, especially something as this serious as what Letang just went through.  I just don't like the bouts of dizziness or unsteadiness that he is still going through.  Having Shero describe it as "the new normal" is IMO letting him come back not completely healthy.  i understand his desire to want to play, but what difference are these bouts of dizziness any different that those players that continue to have dizziness associated with post concussion symptoms? 

A hockey player requires that they have a complete sense of balance and control.  We have all seen players make sudden stops and change of direction on plays.  They spin and swerve.  That is the nature of playing the game.  i can't help but think that if Letang suddenly gets these feelings of dizziness while on the ice, that could possibly affect his play with a negative outcome.

If he was totally symptom free, the I am not typing this response.  The fact of the matter that he states he still has these feelings, cannot bode well for either him or his teammates.  My feelings on this matter having to do with the fact that he is Pens player and I a Flyer fan.  I would response the same way if this had happened to say Mason or Giroux. 

I understand his wanting to play and this is Letang's career we are talking about.  I get it, but in my eyes this is no different than what happened to the player in Dallas.  Both have serious medical conditions that need to be fully addressed before they step foot back onto the ice.

I wish him well and that he fully recovers. IMO, I just don't it is worth it to put your life in jeopardy right now.

I don't understand all if this. There is a surgery that closes those holes and its never an issue again. I don't understand why this wasn't done the minute it was discovered??

Usually these holes are discovered in infancy and there are medications that can help heal that portion of the heart.  It is called VSD. Ventricular Septal Defect.  Sometimes, depending on the size of the hole, surgery is necessary to close this defect.

Here is an excellent reference for you:

https://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/CongenitalHeartDefects/AboutCongenitalHeartDefects/Ventricular-Septal-Defect-VSD_UCM_307041_Article.jsp

What if the defect is still present? Should it be repaired in adulthood?

Usually closure is recommended for small VSDs only if there's been an episode of endocarditis which is a heart infection that may be due to the VSD, or if the location of the VSD affects the function of one of the heart valves. If the VSD is large, the pressure in the lungs determines whether it can be closed in an adult patient. Those with low lung pressures will benefit from surgery; those with high pressures may or may not.

Activity Restrictions

Most patients won't need to limit their activity. However, if you have pulmonary hypertension or your heart doesn't pump as well as it used to, you may need to limit your activity to your endurance. Your cardiologist will help determine if you need to limit your activity.

I have NO access to Letang's chart, therefore I cannot comment nor speculate to what he actually was diagnosed with.

Honestly, I don't think anyone knows how he is going to respond.  IMO, I just don't like it.  I think he is rushing to get back onto the ice.  I get it, the Pens need him and they are much better with him on the ice.  I think taking the rest of the season and resting through the off season would have been the safer option. 

Maybe that is the cause of his head flail/hair flip anytime someone went near him(the disruption in his balance)........Seriously though even though he is a Pen I hope he can be healthy enough to play again. I also hope he does not score a point ever against the Flyers. :P

@pilldoc

Most of that matches what I learned on that medical program, but you'd think they'd just close it up to be safe. I'm thinking in the shape that man is in there would be no lung issue. The guy skates 20+ minutes a game. But like you said we can only speculate. Thanks for all the info!

Good news...yes...but.....I don't like this statement....

Don't get me wrong, despite the jersey he wears, I never wish ill harm to any player, especially something as this serious as what Letang just went through.  I just don't like the bouts of dizziness or unsteadiness that he is still going through.  Having Shero describe it as "the new normal" is IMO letting him come back not completely healthy.  i understand his desire to want to play, but what difference are these bouts of dizziness any different that those players that continue to have dizziness associated with post concussion symptoms? 

A hockey player requires that they have a complete sense of balance and control.  We have all seen players make sudden stops and change of direction on plays.  They spin and swerve.  That is the nature of playing the game.  i can't help but think that if Letang suddenly gets these feelings of dizziness while on the ice, that could possibly affect his play with a negative outcome.

If he was totally symptom free, the I am not typing this response.  The fact of the matter that he states he still has these feelings, cannot bode well for either him or his teammates.  My feelings on this matter having to do with the fact that he is Pens player and I a Flyer fan.  I would response the same way if this had happened to say Mason or Giroux. 

I understand his wanting to play and this is Letang's career we are talking about.  I get it, but in my eyes this is no different than what happened to the player in Dallas.  Both have serious medical conditions that need to be fully addressed before they step foot back onto the ice.

I wish him well and that he fully recovers. IMO, I just don't it is worth it to put your life in jeopardy right now.

I had the exact same reaction.  I saw the headline and thought "Great!" but then as I read the article it was "Really?".   From what I understand he will be constantly monitored by his doctors and the Pens' doctors and I would think that it's unlikely he would play if he has these bouts of dizziness (for example) during the morning skate and would be immediately removed from any game should they occur then. 

His doctors have said that playing hockey will not affect his condition at all so I guess I have to defer to them but it does give one a moment of pause. 

Looked good.  No split ends.  Lots of body.  I think he may have changed conditioners.  ;)

They did a lot of testing due to the stroke, and brought in Troy Palamalou as a consultant before he was allowed to skate again.  Expect to see an even more flowing style mane in the future.