Mason UBI - Emery to start Game 1

hf101

ya just saw that... Okay it's a bummer I won't try to pretend otherwise. But I honestly don't think it's *that* big a deal. IMHO Emery has been outstanding all year. He was thrown to the wolves at MSG and took the losses; he started games early in the year when the Flyers could not score to save their lives.

Plus like I say it's 99% about the TEAM PLAY - Team D.

the only thing that really scares me - and I mean REALLY scares me is Heeter backing him up. Good god. The kid had "nerves" in a meaningless G82. Imagine he's forced to go in a PO game? Yipes!

Players have had amazing games, series, and even playoffs with concussion and especially neck related concussion problems. I'm. It saying I think that's what's wrong with Mase. I think he probably strained his neck in the fall. If it ain't whiplash, it's not as bad. If it is whiplash, it could be as bad as a concussion then.

It catches up with them.

Plus you sound like a Kennedy conspiracy theorist, "his head went back and to the left... Well after the impact."

Unless you're in fact mark recchi's neurologist father in law out in Pittsburgh, maybe not us much for you with the theories as to why it's not you guy's fault our goalie is broken.

He made a jack ass play like the penguins tend to do and for once he got caught. It's no biggie. It's what happens all the time in the rest of the league. You'll survive and we will be grumpy about it until we feel like Mason is 100%.

And if he never is again, it will be entirely your fault for defending a bone headed jack ass hockey play intended to inure... At least that's probably how we'll see it anyway.

Okay take a moment and look at the video YOU posted bud. Watch as MacDonald hits Mason, Mason starts falling backwards, THEN his head snaps back, well clear of ANY contact. What was that? A stiff wind in the arena? I was there, it wasn't that drafty. That is an embellishment and a half.

I stand by my words, as do many of your own Flyers fans. He wasn't hit nearly as hard as he made it out to be, and that's embellishment. I'm sorry, but that charge to the net happens game in game out, AHLer or not. There is no intent to injure, just going to the net hard like players do. If he's on the ice for practice already it's not a concussion, so you have that going for you. That tells you he didn't slam his own head on the ice too hard. ;) He played the rest of the period he was hit in, so it's probably a minor strain from arching his back so hard to make it look so catastrophic.

Did you see the save he made on Bennett AFTER the Megna/MacDonald contact? I even said in the stands that was an amazing save. He instantly buried his head after that one too. Maybe he got a strain making that save? Notice the Flyers haven't said it was from the hit with MacDonald/Megna? No way he makes that save with a serious injury from that hit. Not a chance. He didn't play against Carolina as Berube had already planned to rest him according to your Flyers. it's all hype.

@canoli

I'd cut Heeter some slack on that one game. it was his first ever NHL game and he obviously was nervous. I don't want him playing in the playoffs or anything. But I can understand why he played so bad once.

no problem. I read somewhere that Pelle let in 4 goals his first game too. Everybody says Heeter is much better than he showed on Sunday. I'm sure he is (pretty much have to be). But forgive me if I'm less-than-thrilled he's our backup for G1.

• Like 1

No way he makes that save with a serious injury from that hit.  Not a chance.  He didn't play against Carolina as Berube had already planned to rest him according to your Flyers.  it's all hype.  

Yup, its so much hype that the Flyers are starting their backup against the Rangers. 

I am guessing he is concussed. 

Also, have you ever played in a sport (any) where your adrenaline is flowing and allows your body / mind to ignore and injury and still play well- until you "cool" down? 

Plus like I say it's 99% about the TEAM PLAY - Team D.

Actually could be a rallying point. Sometimes if you know you have a guy in the net that can save you bacon (so to speak), you get a bit comfortable. 

Actually could be a rallying point. Sometimes if you know you have a guy in the net that can save you bacon (so to speak), you get a bit comfortable. 

good point. Plus I'm sure none of the skaters want to see Heeter take over if Emery gets lit up.

Somebody claimed the Flyers don't skate for Emery the way they do for Mason. I haven't noticed that. I don't remember goaltending costing us any games this year. Some bad goals, bad bounces - from both guys - sometimes an opposing goalie outplayed ours. But all in all I don't think the Flyers' game changes when Emery starts.

Somebody claimed the Flyers don't skate for Emery the way they do for Mason. I haven't noticed that.

Me either, but I did not really watch many games pre x-mas. I was kind of referring generally. However, as stated somewhere else in this thread (I think), if its heeter in there, you can be sure there is a much higher sense of urgency by the 5 in front of him. Not that heeter sucks, but certainly the team would want to not expose him. 

if its heeter in there, you can be sure there is a much higher sense of urgency by the 5 in front of him.

Absolutely. That's why I agreed with you when you said the guys may come together even more for Emery - bc it's Heeter if the skaters let Emery get shelled.

• Like 1