Defense deja vu

First of it all its nice to see Cheif handling the coach job very well. Its not easy steppin in like that. And Mason, just amazing season. What do we see here this season. We see a coach going in and saves the season with defensive play. Old style mega defensive hockey. Thats why Girouxe underachive.. well thats why all our forwards underachives. They have to rescue our big,old,slow defense. And Mason.. i have stopped counting how many games he have won for us. Last game was his. I have not seen our defense so slow since Hatcher,Ratje was plying in flyers. You know, that awful pathetic season. Somehow i get the feeling of deja vu. What happend? Here we are again with and old,slow defense. Dont get me wrong, cheif is getting everything out of the defense but its painful to watch Rangers skating around the D and our goalcrease as they were bees around honey.

Throwing in Gus wouldnt help. He would only be confused and forced to play a game he is not good at. Hal Gill will probebly do it better. But why did we go from a puck moving talented team to this??? Whats the plan for next season? Trade Gus and everybody with skating skills and puck handling for more slow vets? Is this the new flyers? The new model?

Having Mason back might just save us in this serie. I god hope so, even thou im really really dissapointed of Homer for putting this kind of team toghether i really hope for a long run. LETS GO FLYERS

Really good question/s. This defense is s l o w and o l d. Coburn is a good 2-3 defesseman. Age has caught up with Timmo. Schenn is a slow 2-4 defenseman. Grossmann was really good when he first came over from Dallas, but age and injuries have taken their toll. Streit and McDonald are mobile decent 2-4 defensemen. They do not have a true 1-2 defenseman at this time. Not a pretty picture. I really think that the Flyers have finally learned that you have to build through the draft and hold on to those draft choices. 

I'm really excited about the future Flyers defense. Ghost, Hagg, Morin, Alt, Gus, maybe the Russian, Vaseliev and  Larrsen. Additionally, I would not be surprised if they traded for a high draft pick this Summer and went after a d'man, or baring that they trade for a true number 1 d'man. Given time for this group to mature and meld together, and I think that Mason will have a super defense in front of him in 2-3 years. 

If the Flyers do go heavily for defense this Summer, my only worry is what will the forwards look like in five years?  BTW: Are there any good European d'men and or forwards who might be lured to Philly?

Really good question/s.

no, they aren't really good questions.  say what you will about the defense corps (and there is plenty to say that isn't flattering), but coburn, timonen, streit, and macdonald are in the upper half of skating defenseman.  schenn and grossmann aren't, but 1/3rd is not the entire blueline.  there are problems, but the defacto "big,old,slow defense" complaint doesn't apply.

no, they aren't really good questions. say what you will about the defense corps (and there is plenty to say that isn't flattering), but coburn, timonen, streit, and macdonald are in the upper half of skating defenseman. schenn and grossmann aren't, but 1/3rd is not the entire blueline. there are problems, but the defacto "big,old,slow defense" complaint doesn't apply.

Completely agree.

By the way, I also disagree with the assertion that Giroux under achieved or a team with seven 20 goal scorers was necessarily a "Old style mega defensive hockey" team.

I honestly can't say I agree with any of the opening post. It's just not reflective of the season /team I watched

Would the Schenn brothers and our first rounder to Buffalo, for the number one pick and a third rounder be a fair trade?. Then we can draft Ekblad. Or can we give up less and get ristolanen. We need a young big minutes defenseman for next season. I think we need to target a good young dman that has been drafted over the last couple of years, there have been a slew of good dmen drafted by other teams in the first round the past few years, maybe we can land one of them. Dumba, Nurse, Ristolanen, etc. there's probably 10 or so good young dman that have been drafted in the past 2 years who can help us big time.

Would the Schenn brothers and our first rounder to Buffalo, for the number one pick and a third rounder be a fair trade?.

Well for one they don't have the 1st pick that honor belong to Florida....so that is gonna be a problem!!!!

But i'd trade Coburn (and it will take more than just him...what not sure) to Florida for a chance to start over and draft an NHL Dman right now in Ekblad. I'm just tired of seeing him commit dumb play at the worst time over and over get all you can for him now. Ekblad would be my choice.

Buffalo is not gonna trade the 1st pick unless we offer Giroux, c'mon. Coburn will get you a 2nd maybe 2 late ones. The Schenn's won't get what they are worth to us I am afraid. Someone might take a chance but we won't get anything close to a #1 defenseman.

• Like 1

Ok , we'll if can't land Ekblad, we need to trade for a young talented dman somehow. It's really sad that we have been trading for dmen for 30 years...Howe , Desjardins, Timmo, Pronger, etc. we finally drafted some decent dman, unfortunately they are all a few years awAy, and none are touted as superstars, hopefully Ghost can be a Brian Leetch type guy for us.