Round 2 - Ducks vs. Kings

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes the series?

• Anaheim Ducks, the REAL kings of LA
    • LA Kings, former champs who do not quack around

I was.... working on it - deleted mine  :)

except .....

This is the first post season matchup featuring the Ducks and the Kings.  Anaheim has dominated the Kings this season in the regular season winning 4 of 5 with their only loss via a shootout. 

The Kings are one of the best teams at 5 on 5 with  also one of the best playoff goaltenders in the playoffs.  The Ducks rely heavily on their power play and defensive play surrounding their two goaltenders, which one though is anyone's guess.

I was.... working on it - deleted mine  :)

Sorry....  :(

Over zealousness on my part...the former admin and moderator in me took over for juuust a split second... I shant doubt your polling abilities ever again...

At any rate, going with Kings in 7.

Anaheim will present more or less the same challenges the Sharks did...although I think the Ducks bring an extra layer of nasty to their game.

Ducks are subject to pressure on their own net, however, the Kings like to play a 'bully style' and well, Anaheim is well versed there.

I think, in the end though, the goaltending and overall defense the Kings can provide will tip things in their favor...also, while everyone talks about LA's goaltending and defense (and rightly so...like I just did  ;)  ), the Kings also have some underrated speed.

Those big bodies wearing black n silver move at a rate one would normally associate with smaller, finesse teams...pretty scary....

I really thought the Sharks would steal the Kings crown and then eat the Ducks but no. Now, it is down to two teams that have the least travel possible for a series.

The Kings are gonna win this, five games, six tops. The Ducks have a bit of a goalie thing going on and have been known to fold faster than the Sharks while the Kings know how to win. They will meet the Hawks in the Western conference final.

Sorry.... 
Over zealousness on my part...the former admin and moderator in me took over for juuust a split second... I shant doubt your polling abilities ever again...

No worries, I'm always happy to have members take the initiative to contribute to the site.

I wonder how hurt Getzlaf is?  Since I  have Quick for fantasy I'll pick the Kings in 6, but I'd like to see Selanne move on to the Western Finals.

Another amazing game with a tying goal in the last minutes of a hockey game.  Gaborik ties game 1 with 7s and then wins it in OT.  

What an difference it is in his ability to score the big goals on a team where he doesn't have to be "THAT" guy. 

• Like 1

Another amazing game with a tying goal in the last minutes of a hockey game.  Gaborik ties game 1 with 7s and then wins it in OT.  

What an difference it is in his ability to score the big goals on a team where he doesn't have to be "THAT" guy. 

Quite a game.... 4 straight wins for the Kings.

You know, every playoff season seems to have one team so something spectacular during it...could the Kings be pulling off some "OMG, did they just do that?" moments?

Talking about coming back down 0-3 to the Sharks and now, looking like they were going to be beat for sure in Anaheim, come back to tie with seconds left, then a winner in OT...

I was hoping it would be the Minnesota Wild coming up with the "OMG" moments, in these playoffs, but so far, the Kings are writing that script real well.

As for Gaborik, the guy is still an unbeliebable talent on the ice.

That has always been the case in Minnesota, New York, Columbus (though I don't believe he did a whole lot the short time he was there), and now LA.

And yea, his defensive deficiencies can be hidden real well on a team like the Kings....I mean, he can literally go all out and will likely have 4 other skaters (and a goalie) on the ice with enough defensive acumen to cover for the lack of his own.

Also, the fact that there is much less pressure for him to score '2 or 3 goals a game' on a team like LA helps tremendously. Heck, with the way the Kings have been known to output goals, ANY bit that Gaborik can give them is viewed as gravy.

Anaheim Ducks gotta be wondering what they have to do to put away the Kings for Game 2....home ice (for or against) doesn't seem to matter a damned to LA....

Kopitar stepping up when it matters most. The Kings are a battled tested group, excellent veteran depth with a nice mix of youth. Lombardi doing his usual masterful job of getting exactly what they need to succeed. When it's all said and done, he will be remembered as one of the great GM's of his time. Reminds me of a young version of Jimmy Devellano, which is high praise in my books.

@Hockey Junkie  The rookie Gibson has been named the starter for the Ducks tonight, has all of 3 regular season games to his credit, talk about being thrown to the wolves...wow. The kid is a big time prospect though, widely considered one of the very best up and coming goalies....should be very interesting to see how he responds tonight!!

@Hockey Junkie  The rookie Gibson has been named the starter for the Ducks tonight, has all of 3 regular season games to his credit, talk about being thrown to the wolves...wow. The kid is a big time prospect though, widely considered one of the very best up and coming goalies....should be very interesting to see how he responds tonight!!

Good ole Gibson did quite well eh?  Very low shot total to face, as the Ducks rallied around him.  The Kings still had a 19-3 shots advantage between the 2nd and 3rd periods though.  How about the Ducks having ZERO shots in the second period??