Barry Trotz Named Head Coach of Washington Captials

hf101

@ruxpin  From an LA perspective, they would be dumping the semi fragile Richards, and getting something in return rather use the compliance buy out on him. Plus, it would be gettting top notch price for Justin Williams, who has been scoring at a career best the past year, but will probably not sustain it, so good value in trading there. I know Alex Martinez is sought after by a lot of teams, but the presence of Doughty and Muzzin makes Martinez expendable.

Sure, they would miss the picks, but this team is primed to make a run for the next 5 years while Quick is still in his prime, so this trade makes them better short term, where they can make the most of Quicks best years. A few good reasons to make the trade, the other being how awesome Kopitar, Gaborik and OV would look together on the top pp. The LA power play would have 3 of the very best elite Euro's in the league.  In LA's case, the rise of Taffoli makes this deal a bit easier to take also.

but I don't think I'd want to bet both the current chemistry AND the future of the team on it.

I agree with that. Add in the length of the contract and amount, and it becomes a nauseating problem for any team. 

This is a great choice by the Caps. First and foremost, Trotz has this aura about him, it commands respect. A guy like OV will not be able to bully this guy, and if he dogs it, Trotz will just bench the bum, and will not think twice about it. I think that is a huge reason why Trotz was brought on board. He does not take any ****. If anyone can get OV on board with a system, it's this guy. I also think OV has reached the end in terms of being able to dictate coaching changes etc....(yes, that does happen, no doubt in my mind). If Ovechkin does not work out under Trotz, it's he who will be shown the door, not Barry.

Sounds like Hunter. :)

@ruxpin

And the sequel...

Well, no, really, you haven't.

Hunter was a first time NHL coach. Oates was a first time NHL coach.

Trotz has five times the number of NHL coaching seasons under his belt of those two combined. Hiring neophyte organizational heroes to fill important positions apparently doesn't work out well every time...

Boudreau - first time NHL coach.

We're going to find out if OV is really uncoachable, or if the Capitals have just been terrible at their coaching decisions. 

I suspect it's a little from Column A and more than a little from Column B...

We're going to find out if OV is really uncoachable, or if the Capitals have just been terrible at their coaching decisions. 

Trotz vs Ovechkin: May The Games Begin

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/0FBDBDE77D1048473789476040704_100f45b4590.3.2.mp4?versionId=JQoDRebpmvjoGT1eXzom4wnN4Ut45Dmi

Way to hustle AO.

http://thehockeywriters.com/trotz-vs-ovechkin-may-the-games-begin/?utm_content=buffer9ba58&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer