2014 Entry Draft - Who do the Flyers choose?

OccamsRazor

Greetings:

There's a subplot here that points to a deal for a top D man. Does our new GM want to put his stamp on the team sooner rather than later. I think it is sooner. But that is a detached observer who doesn't know what you folks do about these draft picks.  But I agree with many here that the Center position is stacked and something may go.  I also think that as good as he is, Simmonds might be really attractive trade bait. We might fetch a first + something for him.  Again, other than Coots, Voracek, Claude G, and possible Read or Raffl (relatively low cost, great flexibility in the lineup) I think everyone is expendable...maybe even Mason.  

Best,

Howie

Sorry to do this but Sam Bennett's new name is going to have to be private Pyle from here on out!!!!   :D

First among North American skaters in NHL Central Scouting's final 2014 draft rankings, the Kingston Frontenacs centre finished dead-last in one category during Saturday's fitness testing at the annual combine.

Bennett couldn't do a single pull-up.

"I was definitely disappointed with myself," Bennett said. "I was wanting to do the best I can in every test. But, I guess, ultimately games aren't won or lost if you can do a pull-up in the gym."-----Let's hope so right...not even one???????

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=453634

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIULYenwnj0

Morning laugh...................couldn't resist.

Honestly who here can't do one pull up....show of hands!!!???? We know Sam ain't alone...........

I think I can only do one. I'm not fat or out of shape either. I just was never able to do many. I played all kinds of sports. Played well and started and won games. I work a very physical job and exercise all the time. 

I just can't do more than one pull-up. I don't think it necessarily indicates much athletically. 

I think I can only do one. I'm not fat or out of shape either. I just was never able to do many. I played all kinds of sports. Played well and started and won games. I work a very physical job and exercise all the time. 

I just can't do more than one pull-up. I don't think it necessarily indicates much athletically. 

Yes this is what i'm learning i just assumed (and you know what they say about that :blink: ) most could lift their own body weight. Anyways i guess i has to do with the incorporation of the different muscle groups yet it doesn't indicate to much either way.

But like every exercises the more you work those muscle the stronger you get. 

But if you only do two movements pull ups and squats is what is suggest the will improve your overall strength just form incorporating all the muscle groups. 

Greetings:

There's a subplot here that points to a deal for a top D man. Does our new GM want to put his stamp on the team sooner rather than later. I think it is sooner. But that is a detached observer who doesn't know what you folks do about these draft picks.  But I agree with many here that the Center position is stacked and something may go.  I also think that as good as he is, Simmonds might be really attractive trade bait. We might fetch a first + something for him.  Again, other than Coots, Voracek, Claude G, and possible Read or Raffl (relatively low cost, great flexibility in the lineup) I think everyone is expendable...maybe even Mason.  

Best,

Howie

I can't see Mason being expendable over Read or Raffl. Mason is just about the only encouraging thing to take away from last season's loss in the first round. He was stellar.

• Like 1

I can't see Mason being expendable over Read or Raffl. Mason is just about the only encouraging thing to take away from last season's loss in the first round. He was stellar.

Before something drastic is done a crazy trade or something i'd just be happy with a reload of the same roster and try it again. Maybe add another LW and a Backup goaltender not named Emery. Try again.

They aren't that far off i mean the did lose to a team in the finals. And had they had Mason from the begiining who knows they may have a different outcome. 

Edited by OccamsRazor

Before something drastic is done a crazy trade or something i'd just be happy with a reload of the same roster and try it again. Maybe add another LW and a Backup goaltender not named Emery. Try again.

They aren't that far off i mean the did lose to a team in the finals. And had they had Mason from the begiining who knows they may have a different outcome. 

I think they need more speed and mobility from their defense. But otherwise sure.

I think everyone is expendable...maybe even Mason.

I could not disagree more. The Flyers searched for decades to find a goalie as spectacular as Mason. He's more untouchable than Giroux in my eyes. I they even thought about trading him I'd blow a gasket!!

The Flyers searched for decades to find a goalie as spectacular as Mason.

Absolutely. He put up a 1.97 gaa and 939sv% i'm not sure what more he could have done....he had very little if any goal support....and for once they head into the offseason WITHOUT goalies questions.....other areas need to be addressed like getting a legit 1st line LW for starters.

And another Damn wouldn't hurt and they could have had a better performance in the playoffs had they had Mason for the whole series.

Also a backup to replace Emery his playoffs showed he is just mediocre at best....3.48gaa and 888sv% isn't going to cut it.

The only one to have a worse save % was Bryz. Thanks Emery but it may be time to hang it up.

Backup goaltender isn't top be taken lightly in this league....it is crucial during the season and into the playoffs. Has a better performance during the regular season that could maybe have been the difference in home ice verse the Rags.

Philly and Grump:

I like Mason very much. I hope he isn't traded. That said, there might be some who wonder/worry if we had a one-year resurrection that will fade. I hope it doesn't happen.  But I will feel better by Thanksgiving about him and the rest of the team if it's clear we didn't see a one-year rebound.  Maybe some in the front office feel the same way and that it is best to maximize his trade value now. That sounds bizarre.  But it could happen.

Best,

Howie

Mock Draft (Date)  Flyers Pick (No. 17)

Defending Big D (June 5) LW Sonny Milano

NESN (May 23) LW Kevin Fiala

Frozen Futures (May 2) C Robby Fabbri

MyNHLDraft.com (May 27) LW Dylan Larkin

Puck Rant (May 27) C/RW Josh Ho-Sang

Rotoworld (May 31) C/RW Alex Tuch

Last Word On Sports (June 2) D Roland McKeown

Here is what I found so far.......

I'm hearing good things about Milano......

Edited by pilldoc

@pilldoc   Hey, you found a site I have never seen....puck rant. They have the Flyers selecting Josh Ho-Sang. He will be selected right around where they pick, so ya never know. The rumor part of this site seems pretty cool also.

@pilldoc

I haven't seen much of Milano (WJs) but from what i saw he's got a pretty good skillset and very quick. The knock on him is he's a cherrypicker who doesn't come back to help his team. Not a great trait IMO. Scouts think he would move up if he'd show any interest in backchecking whatsoever.

Tuch and McKeown are rated a lot lower than 17th by most. They both seem like they should become good NHLers though.

@pilldoc

I haven't seen much of Milano (WJs) but from what i saw he's got a pretty good skillset and very quick. The knock on him is he's a cherrypicker who doesn't come back to help his team. Not a great trait IMO. Scouts think he would move up if he'd show any interest in backchecking whatsoever.

Tuch and McKeown are rated a lot lower than 17th by most. They both seem like they should become good NHLers though.

Well in not a deep draft it seems different strategy should be deployed. Just quoting Hey here:

" Well, I think there’s probably not a strong draft on defense. There’s a lot of good forwards. I think it’s a good draft. All the amateur scouts, and I’m not necessarily saying ours, but they typically say when it’s a year like this it’s not a great draft. It’s probably an average draft this year. You get the one bumper crop maybe every five years that everybody says is a good draft, but that’s not normal every year. I think it’s an average draft, and there’s certainly some good players in it."

So with that said i think you should find a forward in the 2nd and take your defenseman with your 1st pick.

And where someone is slated shouldn't have any bearing on your team finding a guy that fits your system....not every team has the same system and needs....so i would get caught up in all the draft hype from mocks and "other so called experts".

Bottom line it comes down to Flyer systems and needs fits....combined with what is available.

So i say take McKeown or Honka with the first and then the blueline is stocked for the future and find your forward in the 2nd round in what is considered a deep draft of forwards. Just like the Eagles did this past year, they needed a OLBer in a draft with with not deep in OLBer prospects....

...so they took they guy they coveted most with their 1st. Yes many outside considered it a reach....but at the end of the day who cares what others say if you got your guy. I agree with this completely.

Anyways my 2 cents this morning.

I doubt I've ever seen a draft this deep in the first round with left wingers....might be the best time to grab one.

Point taken and why i would suggest taking a LW with the 2nd round since they'll be a few good ones still there however if you take one in the 1st by the time the Flyers next 2nd rolls around the quality of defenseman really won't be there since there just isn't a lot of depth at defense.

Mocks i seen has Ryan MacInnis, Adrian Kempe, Justin Kirkland, Anton Karlsson all siding to the 2nd all LWs.

and in the 1st round McKeown, Sanheim, Honka and Jack Glover will still be on the board.

Even Chase DeLeo who could play left wing however he is small only 5-9.

Edited by OccamsRazor

I still say the Flyers take this guy if he is on the board....

till one of the blueline prospects is skating on the big club hard to count them yet...keep snaggin the positions the BIG clubs hoard and don't move unless grossly over paid.

Of course another angle to look at this is...I doubt I've ever seen a draft this deep in the first round with left wingers....might be the best time to grab one.

Not big on russians, but I would take this kid: \

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cat=1&dpid=84750&sort=finalRank&year=2014

@Vanflyer

McKeown looks like a really good all around Dman to me. I don't see anything at all wrong with his game. H takes care of both ends, can skate, pass, shoot, all very well. I guess if you wanted to nitpik he isn't really great at anything. I'm not sure why he isn't rated higher than he is. He's not big, but certainly not small. Maybe it's more a case of other players did more to jump ahead of him than McKeown doing anything to fall. 

Just watched video on him. Wow. Does @jammer2 of @flyercunuck have any 411 on him? 

I like him alot and Honka maybe #2 after him.

Here is an endorsement from a guy people have heard of:

Roland McKeown, D, Kingston – “He was my captain for a couple years. He skates very well, he can do everything very well. There’s nothing that he struggles with. I assume he’s going to be a very high pick and I’m really excited to see where he ends up.”-Connor McDavid

Can never have to many defenseman they are worth their weight in gold in the NHL.

Edited by OccamsRazor

@OccamsRazor  Roland looks like a very nice mobile d-man, would not be pissed to see him in O&B. Some nice offensive upside there as well, they could do a lot worse at #17.

Yes and since this is a deep draft at left wing you could get a solid LW in the 2nd round.

Kind of like the Eagles draft strategy when they needed an OLBer in a not so deep draft at OLBer know the picking would be slim by their 2nd pick they went ahead and took Smith with their 1st pick late in the 1st.

The Flyers should follow suits and go ahead and get their Damn in the 1st cause it's not a deep draft for defenseman and there won't be any solid prospects their if they wait till their 2nd pick, so get the Dmen in the 1st. Just my opinion on it. 

But i'd reconsider if guy fall like Jake Virtanen or Ritchie but both is suppose to be off the board by the time Flyers pick. So i'm taking Mckeown who should be there.

@

jammer2

Some advanced stats on some of the upcoming draft picks. Juniors.

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/lib/MinorHockeyReportingTool/index.php?pos=AllSkaters&drafted=Eligible&season=2014&sort=SHGoals

Damn Ehlers had 6 shorthanded goals this year pretty impressive.

16 of Ekblad's 23 goals came on the PP.

Fabbri had the most even strength goals at 30 out of 45.

Good things to know.