Flyers Sign BSchenn to multi-year deal

radoran

This is a twist but I am wondering if this signing makes him more marketable in a trade?

Only at the trade deadline if it appears there is no marked improvement. The hartnell situation has been beet to death (he signed a long term, home team discount blah blah), but that wasn't Hextalls contract. Schenns is. To sign him and immediately or relatively quickly most definitely sends the wrong message to players. Its a business, but players don't want to be double crossed. And thats exactly what that would be. 

Very nice to hear this.  Good move by the Flyers.

I still have high hopes that Schenn will become a franchise cornerstone.

This still doesn't guarantee he'll still be here he could still be traded....not saying i want him gone....but you have give to get and i don't think Hexy is through moving people.

He is signed so that makes him even more attractive in a deal he was part of the front office who traded him once already...he wasn't afraid to move a guy who had a NMC and fan fav to mold the team to his vision. He and his brother could be gone at the draft.

(Sigh)

I'm not saying it isn't average or below.

I'm saying somehow the right thing was done with Coots and by giving Schenn more you encourage him to expect more. Sends the wrong message to your players.

You also risk making Coots feel taken advantage of which makes resigning him potentially harder next time (though Hexy can blame that on Homer now )

Also, with Giroux's monster contract (which we're not complaining about, but we will) either coots or Schenn could outscore Giroux for the next four ears and they'll never get a contract like that.

It could be worse, I'm just not a huge fan from a management tactic point of view.

@King Knut

Bonuses are not allowed on contracts other than ELC's and 35+ deals. Schenn' deal is all salary.

If you look around the league, $2.5mil is on the low side for a 20 goal, 40 point player. Yes, there are exceptions, but on average. All I'm saying.

(Sigh)

I'm not saying it isn't average or below.

I'm saying somehow the right thing was done with Coots and by giving Schenn more you encourage him to expect more. Sends the wrong message to your players.

You also risk making Coots feel taken advantage of which makes resigning him potentially harder next time (though Hexy can blame that on Homer now )

Also, with Giroux's monster contract (which we're not complaining about, but we will) either coots or Schenn could outscore Giroux for the next four ears and they'll never get a contract like that.

It could be worse, I'm just not a huge fan from a management tactic point of view.

The only person Coots can blame is his agent. He's the guy that gets the contracts done.

• Like 1

@King Knut

You make a good point, with the salary disparity between schenn and couturier. Thing is, it is couturier's deal that is causing it. Schenn signed a contract for average salary for above average production. Couturier's deal is probably about right for his offensive output, but it didn't take his defensive contributions into account. Well done, holmgren, but it had left the Flyers with the awkward dynamic you point out. That's on couturier and his agent, though, not schenn and hextall.

It isn't realistic to have thought schenn was going to sign for less than median, given that --as far below where we think he could/should be as his production might be-- he has bettered 2/3rds of the league. He had no basis to demand more than that, but he certainly was within reason to ask for what he got.

Funny how a contract win like couturier's can cause issues.

He has 2 full years to evolve and take his game to the next level, a great thing for the Flyers to have in their back pocket.

i'm still not sure his skating is going to allow that next level.  20 years ago, luc robitaille could get away with being a poor skater but having great hands.  not sure it works the same anymore.  regardless, if couturier ends up being nothing but an ace defensive forward, that has big value and i'd call it a win.  if he finds a way to become any kind of offensive force, so much the better.

• Like 1

@aziz  Yeah, that's the way I see it also, if he can supply some offensive consistency, it's just icing on the cake. I think next year we will see a more confident version of Cooter, a lot of his offense will be tied to his linemates. If he loses Read as a winger, the whole lines creativity will take a hit.

If he loses Read as a winger, the whole lines creativity will take a hit.

this is where i'm liking the return of umberger.  read is a somewhat better skater, and umberger is a somewhat more physical player...but they both have a bit of what the other has.  with couturier distributing, i think that could be a very effective line at both ends of the ice.

regardless, if couturier ends up being nothing but an ace defensive forward, that has big value and i'd call it a win.  if he finds a way to become any kind of offensive force, so much the better.

If Hartnell can succeed, certainly Coots can. Also, lots of the Vets have stated that Coturiers hockey iq is off the charts and that can make up for allot of lack of blazing speed. Look at Recchi's last 5 years. He lost almost two steps, but used his hockey smarts / experience to continue to succeed. 

I think Coots is fine- he just not have a quick 1-2 step, but once he gets going he is fine. Also, I think he can develop more muscle (upper and lower body) that could bode well for him.