Vinnys Agents looking for trade partner

Agents work for players. If a player wants out, it's the agents job to figure out how.

Disagree 1000%. The player is under contract. If the player wants out, sure, he tells his agent (or if he has cajones), he tells his employer directly. Either way, the next move is in the teams court. Under no circumstance should an agent be able to contact other teams regarding a player under contract. That clearly seems to be a clear violation of the term "contract". If a team wants to "grant" permission for an agent to speak to other teams, ok. But I would think that 9 times out of 10 the team that holds the contract would want to be the one to either say: 

1) Shut eff up and go play. 

or 

2) ok player xxxxxx, we will see what we (team) can do, but there are no guarantees. Just look at the Evander Kanes situation for case in point. Its ENTIRELY up to Winnipeg to determine when, if, how Kane gets moved, not kanes agent. That is, with all due respect, just absurd to me. 

Disagree 1000%. The player is under contract. If the player wants out, sure, he tells his agent (or if he has cajones), he tells his employer directly. Either way, the next move is in the teams court. Under no circumstance should an agent be able to contact other teams regarding a player under contract. That clearly seems to be a clear violation of the term "contract". If a team wants to "grant" permission for an agent to speak to other teams, ok. But I would think that 9 times out of 10 the team that holds the contract would want to be the one to either say: 

1) Shut eff up and go play. 

or 

2) ok player xxxxxx, we will see what we (team) can do, but there are no guarantees. Just look at the Evander Kanes situation for case in point. Its ENTIRELY up to Winnipeg to determine when, if, how Kane gets moved, not kanes agent. That is, with all due respect, just absurd to me. 

Too bad you cut my quote.  The VERY next sentence read:

"Sometimes, GMs will grant agents permission to seek out a trade"

Implicitly, that means either the agent asks the GM, or the GM openly tells the agent.  I never implied tampering.  It is certainly the team's final say, but the agent is the player's conduit to the business side, and can ... encourage ... the team to do what they want.

As a side note, the Flyers have 8 players with NTC/NMC (9 until Hartnell was traded). That's about 40% of the active roster.

The Kings have 0 players with NTC/NMCs. Yes, the team with huge contracts to Doughty and Quick, and with stars like Kopitar and Williams - their GM saw it fit to give exactly 0 players an NTC or NMC.

Wow bre, thanks for pointing that out...a stunning little tidbit. *That* is how you build a winning team in the cap era....unlimited wiggle room at all times. The thing Homer never understood is sometimes what you see is not what you get long term. People change and evolve....some develop drinking problems, some get sick of the sport and are just in it for a payday....some go through divorce and their heart is not in it...whatever the reason, the point is, the team has to be ready for these changes and be able to respond accordingly....Homer never got this part of his job.

• Like 1

@Vanflyer  I think in this case, the Flyers obviously don't want Vinny, so it's in their best interest to allow the player agent to explore options. This just makes it easier to accomplish what both sides want, and amicable parting of ways. Vinny knows where he wants to go, so he can check with teams where he specifically want to land. This cuts out the middle man ie Hexy and makes it easier for both parties going forward. The Flyers are more concerned with dumping the contract, so the return part is not as important as freeing up cap space. At this point, I'd give a 4th or 5th to make him go away, if no one is willing to ante anything up.

I think in this case, the Flyers obviously don't want Vinny, so it's in their best interest to allow the player agent to explore options.

Yeah I get that, but one of the posters said that it was normal practice for agents to contact teams on their players behalf as it was part of the job. My mere point was it was the exception to the rule and certainly not normal practice. The VLC situation being exception to the rule. 

Hextall is focusing on landing Ritchie or Fleury. 

I think in this case, the Flyers obviously don't want Vinny, so it's in their best interest to allow the player agent to explore options.

VLC for Rene Bourque who is a LW and has two years on his contract for 3.3 mill per i'd do that....Montreal needs size down the center Flyers need a wingers he can play either wing.

@OccamsRazor   The thing is bro, Vinny is no longer a top 6 player in this league. Sure he scored 20 goals last year ( a lot of them where unimportant tack on goals when the game was already decided), but most teams don't want a guy who is a defensive liability playing on the bottom six of their roster. The guy was a -17 despite the 20 goals and 17 assists, 3rd and 4th liners are supposed to stop the opposition, keep the puck out their own end. I see Vinny getting worse at the defensive aspects of his game. Throw in the bad back, which will most likely creep back in to the picture, this is gonna be a tough move to pull off. The main problem is, there are just better options out there, who are not defensive liabilities and not injured left and right. Their are better and cheaper options out there...so I wish his agent better. We might have to wait until training camp and hope a team suffers a few injuries, making him look a bit of a better option.

Wow bre, thanks for pointing that out...a stunning little tidbit. *That* is how you build a winning team in the cap era...

'course, as soon as you establish a rule of thumb, someone points out Chicago has ten players with movement restrictions on their roster.

'course, as soon as you establish a rule of thumb, someone points out Chicago has ten players with movement restrictions on their roster.

Exactly. What LA shows, though, is that it's possible to put together a Cup winning team, and hand out long term contracts without resorting to NMC / NTC.

And, Toews and Kane just asked for 12m/yr on their upcoming contract.

At least Homer got hometown discounts...

True enough, but I'd rather be in LA's spot than Chicago's moving forward. They have much more roster flexibility to address any kind of percieved weakness, and hands down the better goalie. Not to mention they will probably be paying max contracts to Kane and Towes....not that they don't deserve it....but that will inevitably lead to tough roster decisions down the road....LA has no max contracts to worry about.

The Flyers aren't going to get much for Vinny. 

Who cares. I don't want anything for him. We did give anything to get him, why expect anything back from him when everyone in the world knows that both parties want / need a divorce. Couldnt buffalo use a center? :-P

Seriously, I am still hoping the Preds bite.