Vinnys Agents looking for trade partner

Reported by Tim P... Hopefully they find someone quick:

On the eve of the NHL draft at the Wells Fargo Center, the wheels are formally in motion on two fronts to trade Vinny Lecavalier.

Flyers general manager Ron Hextall has granted Lecavalier’s agent, Kent Hughes, permission to talk to other NHL clubs to try to find a willing trade partner for the Flyers, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.

"I cant comment on those aspects," Hughes said. "I would defer to Ron on such matters."

Hextall said on Tuesday he would put the word out at the draft seeking salary cap relief help. Translation: He's seeking to trade Lecavalier, who has four years left on his deal with a $4.5 milion annual cap hit, and is due a $2 million bonus on July 1.

Earlier this month, Hextall said he spoke with Hughes about moving his client, who is simply not comfortable playing on the wing for the Flyers.

At the same time, the Flyers aren’t that comfortable themselves paying Lecavalier $4.5 million as a fourth line center, either.

On July 1, 2015, Lecavalier, who will be 36 by then, is due a $500,000 bonus.

If the Flyers make a deal before July 1, they will likely have to eat part of the contract. Or at the very least, pay the bonus on July 1, then complete a trade after.

As the Flyers enter the draft this weekend they have $1.86 million in salary cap space for the coming season.

and is due a $2 million bonus on July 1.

*sigh*

Man, that's some bad negotiating on the part of the Flyers. 

Back to our discussion of yesterday, those are exactly the absurd kinds of concessions you make (bonus equal to half his salary, NMCs, length) when you're dealing from a position of weakness.

And the worst part is - we had absolutely no need for him.

I'm really really encouraged that Hextall has the cojones to undo the crap that Homer did.

• Like 1

*sigh*

Man, that's some bad negotiating on the part of the Flyers. 

Back to our discussion of yesterday, those are exactly the absurd kinds of concessions you make (bonus equal to half his salary, NMCs, length) when you're dealing from a position of weakness.

And the worst part is - we had absolutely no need for him.

I'm really really encouraged that Hextall has the cojones to undo the crap that Homer did.

Seriously bad...   There will be no trade until the 1st of july then...

You are absolutely right.. there was literally no need to sign him.  I still have no idea what they were thinking.  You get rid of Bryz and Briere and then turn around and make another terrible signing.  IMO - this is Homer's worst deal.

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 2

You are absolutely right.. there was literally no need to sign him.  I still have no idea what they were thinking.  You get rid of Bryz and Briere and then turn around and make another terrible signing.  IMO - this is Homer's worst deal.

totally agree!  Talk about jumping out of the frying pan and right back into the fire.  I said it last year and I will always say.  The Flyers had NO business signing him.  I am so glad Homer is no longer in charge. 

• Like 3

totally agree!  Talk about jumping out of the frying pan and right back into the fire.  I said it last year and I will always say.  The Flyers had NO business signing him.  I am so glad Homer is no longer in charge. 

I guess if there is any positive it appears both sides agree there should be a split.  The problem is we are going to have to pay 2M+ for him to go to another Team per year.   I just hope they find some takers honestly.

Dont mind the player but I hate the contract... sounds like a broken record w/ some of Homer's deals but at least Hexy seems to be trying to right the ship and **BUILD** a team. 

• Like 1

The problem is we are going to have to pay 2M+ for him to go to another Team per year.

Man i hope not i'll take whatever for him just to be clear and free of him ....i know i know it's a reach but i'm holding out hope someone will have to get to the cap floor or something i mean he isn't useless he dealt with issues last year with his back and was moved around all season and still scored 20 goals so there is some value there....please Hexy work your magic!!!!!!!

Man i hope not i'll take whatever for him just to be clear and free of him ....i know i know it's a reach but i'm holding out hope someone will have to get to the cap floor or something i mean he isn't useless he dealt with issues last year with his back and was moved around all season and still scored 20 goals so there is some value there....please Hexy work your magic!!!!!!!

Hopefully he can still be an effective player at Center for some team.  Make that the selling point.

Dont mind the player but I hate the contract... sounds like a broken record w/ some of Homer's deals but at least Hexy seems to be trying to right the ship and **BUILD** a team. 

it does sound cliche'...but it has been the truth these past few yrs.

....i know i know it's a reach but i'm holding out hope someone will have to get to the cap floor or something i mean he isn't useless he dealt with issues last year with his back and was moved around all season and still scored 20 goals so there is some value there....please Hexy work your magic!!!!!!!

That would be magic :D I would not be shocked if someone took him for the full pricetag either.  I think it all depends on where  he is will to play at this point.  Either way I think it is a good sign that both sides want to move on - now Hexy and VLCs agent need to work their magic!

IMO - this is Homer's worst deal.

Maybe Homer was on a bender (summer long!). That and not getting rid of Lavy in the summer were two absurd move / non-moves and certainly a large part why he is not gm today. 

I think it all depends on where  he is will to play at this point. 

Cant we conjure up our old friend Poile in Nashville. I think Vinny would do well there under Lavy and god knows they need an offensive minded center that doesn't play much d! 

• Like 1

I guess if there is any positive it appears both sides agree there should be a split.  The problem is we are going to have to pay 2M+ for him to go to another Team per year.   I just hope they find some takers honestly.

And one thing that should probably be working in Flyers' favor here is that Hextall will not be looking for anything in return.  At least he shouldn't be.  All they need is to free up a roster spot and get rid of this ominous contract.  I mean it would be nice to get at least *something* back (even a lousy prospect), but the reality is, this is not the Flyers' objective in seeking to trade VLC.

God, Holmgren has done so much damage that the repercussions of cleaning up the mess he created and undoing all this will be felt long after he is gone. 

As a side note, the Flyers have 8 players with NTC/NMC (9 until Hartnell was traded). That's about 40% of the active roster.

The Kings have 0 players with NTC/NMCs. Yes, the team with huge contracts to Doughty and Quick, and with stars like Kopitar and Williams - their GM saw it fit to give exactly 0 players an NTC or NMC.

Seriously, do we even need to get "value" back in trading VLC? Signed as a free agent, all you gave up was cap space, just get rid of him and get your cap space back. Eat the 7/1 signing bonus and take back a 3rd round pick in 2015 and call it freakin' day. Get out!!!!!

Seriously, do we even need to get "value" back in trading VLC? Signed as a free agent, all you gave up was cap space, just get rid of him and get your cap space back. Eat the 7/1 signing bonus and take back a 3rd round pick in 2015 and call it freakin' day. Get out!!!!!

We're dealing from a position of severe weakness (up against the cap and everyone knows it, he's a bad fit and everyone knows it, VLC has an NMC), so, yeah, I'd say a 3rd rounder is about all we'd get.

On the other hand, one of the more interesting things I've heard is flipping VLC to Florida for Brian Campbell (2 years left @ $7M). Terrible contract, but just for this year and next, and it would allow us to deal one of our slower defensemen away.

Anyway, something to chew on.

Sabres are looking for a first line center, 2nd line center, 3rd line center, 4th line center & wingers. They also have about $16 million in cap space. Send the Lumina to the Buffalo Airport to pick Vinny up!

Sabres are looking for a first line center, 2nd line center, 3rd line center, 4th line center & wingers. They also have about $16 million in cap space. Send the Lumina to the Buffalo Airport to pick Vinny up!

Good idea!!!!!!!

LOL!!!

Bring some halibut too...

That being said, I trade him for a worn out VHS recording of Kate Smith at this point

Sorry but that was funny as hell... I just choked on water in my office!   I agree as well and might even be willing to downgrade the VHS to a Beta

I'm not even sure they get a 3rd for him!  That being said, I trade him for a worn out VHS recording of Kate Smith at this point.  Again, not the player, THE CONTRACT!!!

As of July 2nd, Vinny will only be owed $14.5 million over four seasons, or $3.625m in salary per season....Much better and should get done.

Seriously bad...   There will be no trade until the 1st of july then...

the hockey writers have a trade speculation when we send VLC to the habs for wait for it DANNY B  :blink:

• Like 1