giroux for weber

RE: MacDonald

I expect to not notice him except when he does something good 95% of the time.

I don't know if that can be considered "great things", but I expect to not feel dread when I know he's on the ice. we can go back and forth regarding the contract being too much , too long, but in the end I think we got a good to very good hockey player and for my money you can never have too many of them  on your team.

• Like 1

Just because some damn fool was going probably going to overpay, doesn't make the MacDonald move a good one. Your point about it being a weak crop of Dmen is also well taken, but that doesn't mean it was absolutely necessary to sign a guy in a "weak crop" to a six year deal.

The ol' "just cause you have cap space does not mean you have to spend cap space" rears it's ugly head again...lol. Just ask the Sabres.

• Like 1

I don't know if that can be considered "great things", but I expect to not feel dread when I know he's on the ice.

Hilarious, and oh so true. Andrew passed the "dread test" right away. I give McDonald an edge over Carle. They are close in overall game, EXCEPT for the fact when Carle brainfarts...he does not hold back. Some of Carle's giveaways would be fine folly for a bloopers clip. I have not seen McDonald give away a game for instance, Carle had more than a handful of those per year, or at least he did for the Flyers, not sure how he has done of late with that skill....lol.

• Like 1

I have not seen McDonald give away a game for instance, Carle had more than a handful of those per year, or at least he did for the Flyers

Just curious - had you watched MacDonald more than just the 19 games he played for the Flyers before they signed him for six years?

Just curious - had you watched MacDonald more than just the 19 games he played for the Flyers before they signed him for six years?

I've seen him play before, he plays for a direct division rival, and I watch more than 90% of the games, so how could I have missed him...lol. At one point, a few years ago, I realized I didn't really have a fix on him, couldn't really form an opinion, so I went out of my way to watch him for an entire 3rd period....it's something I do occasionally, just to get a proper opinion formed of said player.....I came away impressed when I made the effort to single him out...so I kinda knew what type of d-man the Flyers were getting before he came.

• Like 1

I've seen him play before, he plays for a direct division rival, and I watch more than 90% of the games, so how could I have missed him...lol

Division rival? The Islanders??  :lol:

At one point, a few years ago, I realized I didn't really have a fix on him, couldn't really form an opinion, so I went out of my way to watch him for an entire 3rd period....it's something I do occasionally, just to get a proper opinion formed of said player.....I came away impressed when I made the effort to single him out...so I kinda knew what type of d-man the Flyers were getting before he came.

He's been in the league for, basically, four years (314 career games).

I just think this is another #homercoaster™ contract that many of us are going to be thinking is even worse than Carle, Coburn or Grossmann in 2-3 years, tops.

I wanted to keep Carle, want to keep Coburn, and think both are worth their contracts. Grossmann I'm not a fan of, but has his place and value.

Right, as did I if we recall :) And I've said on more than on occasion than Coburn's contract (and acquisition) represent one of Homer's better moments (Simmonds, Voracek, Read, Couturier...) But what I mean by "many of us" are the rather sizable number ("many") of our fellow Flyer fans ("us") who complain about/want to trade the players in question and/or wanted to see Carle gone.

To be clear, I've said I like MacDonald as a player and have appreciated his contributions on the ice. I just think they overpaid severely and the length is an additional problem. I am happy to be wrong and expect all of this to be thrown into my face when MacDaddy emerges as the next Eric Desjardins. #greatthings

But just as Coburn was seen as with potential in a similar light, as has been noted by many again, there is always a whipping boy on the Flyers' defense.

And aside from a rather nice rookie season with the Flyers, Coburn's pretty much been on par with Andrew MacDonald. And I don't think the Flyers are going to pony up the $5M(+) that Coburn is going to demand on the market on top of MacDonald's salary. 

Which pretty much leaves ol' MacDaddy next in line for the coveted Dykhuis Award. :D