If we go into next season with the current lineup, do we make playoffs

RonJeremy

The only one that really might have a shot I think is Laughton to make it to the Flyers, though I wouldn't mind him honing his skills at the AHL.

If Bellemare is playing 3rd line left wing, what's 4th line look like with Rinaldo as wing as well, will it be Vinny and Akeson?

Considering how mediocre the division is as a whole, I don't see any reason the Flyers couldn't make the playoffs. I think both the Pens and Rangers took a step back. The Flyers, Jackets, Caps, and Devils are all kind of in the same boat. Even the Islanders aren't that far back from that second group. The Canes are probably the worst team in the division, but I wouldn't even be shocked if they were sniffing around that 3-5 range in the division. It's pretty wide open this year.

Edited by MadDevil
  • Like 3

He so valuable? Umbuger scored just as many goals for thd Flyers this past post season as Hartnell did......ZILCH!!! NADA!!!

Its not just about number of goals. I for sure have been one of the guys chanting to trade Hartnell. But having Umberger instead? huh, nah thanks. 

But having Umberger instead? huh, nah thanks.

Just let the man play first.

You'll have all season to complain about him if he sucks...but lets give him a chance first.

It was a contract dump more than anything but before i claim anymore about him i'd like to see him play first....then if he sucks i'll say so.

I hope he finds a niche here. Scott had his chance and power forwards skills erode quickly and it may be where he is at maybe not but we'll see.

I believe Umby has more playoff scoring power than Hartsy. I liked Hartnell as a team mate. But Umberger plays a better team game, punto.

Hextall is building a team lego and now he's picking the pieces that fit, for his vision of the game.

Edited by LegionOfDoom
  • Like 1

You'll have all season to complain about him if he sucks...but lets give him a chance first.

It was a contract dump more than anything but before i claim anymore about him i'd like to see him play first....then if he sucks i'll say so.

I hope he finds a niche here. Scott had his chance and power forwards skills erode quickly and it may be where he is at maybe not but we'll see.

I know we're beating a dead horse here but why do you keep saying "wait and see" and "let the guy play" before we decide? He's not an unknown quantity he's RJ Umberger who's seen plenty of games in the O&B.

I guess you're saying "that was years ago" and maybe he's a different player now? Except that watching a handful of Jackets' games last year (mostly to see Bob) it's pretty obvious RJ is what he always was, a decent skater who hustles but just doesn't have much skill - either offensively or defensively.

Ultimately I trust Hextall - the more I read the more convinced I am he's on a mission to weed out anyone who's commitment isn't 100%. Maybe he saw that in Hartnell (besides what he told the media) and figured at least RJ is dependable. He'll max out at 40, maybe 50 points but he's dependable and that's a good thing. Plus his contract is 2 years shorter.

I know we're beating a dead horse here but why do you keep saying "wait and see" and "let the guy play" before we decide? He's not an unknown quantity he's RJ Umberger who's seen plenty of games in the O&B.

I guess you're saying "that was years ago" and maybe he's a different player now? Except that watching a handful of Jackets' games last year (mostly to see Bob) it's pretty obvious RJ is what he always was, a decent skater who hustles but just doesn't have much skill - either offensively or defensively.

Ultimately I trust Hextall - the more I read the more convinced I am he's on a mission to weed out anyone who's commitment isn't 100%. Maybe he saw that in Hartnell (besides what he told the media) and figured at least RJ is dependable. He'll max out at 40, maybe 50 points but he's dependable and that's a good thing. Plus his contract is 2 years shorter.

I'm not claiming him to be anything yet one way or the other and he played here awhile ago and it was under John Stevens. I recognized it was trade to get out from under a contract and get rid of a guy who they said basically didn't fit their style, they want more guys who will carry the puck in not dump it every time. Hartnell and Downie were two of the biggest puck dumpers on thd team.

So I understand and I will wait before I further evaluate weather it was a good movevor bad one. But it also understand how it looks on the surface and realize Hartnell won't be easy to replace. All I say is lets be patient and see how it unfolds. But don't let me stop you from voicing your opinion. This is just mine.

Well I sure won't argue against a reasonable approach like you just described. I was only saying RJ Umberger is still RJ Umberger.

I feel good about Hextall running the show. If he traded Hartnell there must've been good reasons beyond his contract, because Hartnell's contract isn't that bad. 45-pt guys are getting $4mil+ nowadays - like RJ - so I figure it was something else - not the penalties either, something more fundamental that Hextall wants to see.

Anyway it's a nice knowing Hextall has a proactive plan instead of a reactive one. The main thing for me is we finally got a goaltender now.

• Like 2

Hexy looked into the future and saw that while Hartsy might be more useful now, he was also more moveable now. In two years time he'd have been possible to unload anywhere. As it is umby will be gone sooner. This is a 3 years in the future salary dump.

• Like 1

What I'm getting out of it, is several factors to this move:

1. Salary will be needed in 3 years for resigning key players.

2. Like was mentioned, by Hexy, Berube, and our staff writers here- puck possession and faster personnel.

3. Team commitment- does player bleed the orange and black.(team has to be in shape).

On a further note Hexy wants players that love to play for the Flyers, that's why he's so adamant about developing players, so that they grow up in Flyers culture. There were a few prospect players through the years that grew up as Flyer fans, unfortunately we never ended up drafting/acquiring them.

Hexy looked into the future and saw that while Hartsy might be more useful now, he was also more moveable now. In two years time he'd have been possible to unload anywhere. As it is umby will be gone sooner. This is a 3 years in the future salary dump.

Agreed, Harts would have been a bitch to move in a few years, Hexy didn't have to move him right this instant, but if he waited past the upcoming trade deadline, he may have either been stuck with him, or have to pay an asset to get rid of him....depending of course on how his upcoming season goes...but I not anticipating him filling the net, especially not now....with out G and on the D-first Blue Jackets.

Maybe they needed someone to dump the puck. A quality dumper is hard to find sometimes.

Ok I kid. I'm sorry Scotty. Bad joke. Really I think they like his aggressive physical, dish it out - but take a lot of abuse too kind of game.

My sense anyway. Not sure Scotty's gonna like living in Columbus, but on the bright side he gets to print a new edition of his book with blue illustrations now and all the ones anyone here bought are now collector's items.

Agreed, Harts would have been a bitch to move in a few years, Hexy didn't have to move him right this instant, but if he waited past the upcoming trade deadline, he may have either been stuck with him, or have to pay an asset to get rid of him....depending of course on how his upcoming season goes...but I not anticipating him filling the net, especially not now....with out G and on the D-first Blue Jackets.

I'm a bit worried since so many other teams improved and added players in the offseason ,and we havent. Washington,Pittsburgh, Columbus, Nashville to name a few..I think it will be even harder for us this year .I guess it will come down to the defense. Our offense is as strong as most top teams, but if our defense falters or our PP doesn't click we could be in trouble. Our 5 on 5 play isn't great a good PP has helped us overcome that. We need one more Injury free season form Streit, Timmo, and Coburn. One a good note , L Schenn actually had a good playoff, maybe he will step up.

I'm not worried about Washington, Pittsburgh, etc.....I can see a potential stand off between Trotz and Ovechkin that will probably split the team in Washington. As for Pittsburgh, they still are rather soft and they are going to miss James Neal, big time. As dirty as he might be, he's also the only forward there who really plays a physical and nasty game. And before anyone says Steve Downie can replace what Neal brought, Downie's one head hit away from being a vegetable. Nashville's top centers are going to be Ribiero and Roy and that shouldn't frighten anyone. The only team I might be a bit concerned about is Columbus, but there's a lot of ifs on Columbus and they're going to have to hope that Horton stays healthy, Hartnell can still produce without playing with an elite playmaker like Giroux, Johansen signs a contract, etc.....

As for the Flyers 5 on 5 play, I think a full off season and training camp with Berube should help improve that. The biggest thing that worries me about the Flyers is that they don't always play a full 60 minutes. If they can put a consistent 60 minute effort in night in and night out, then things should be OK.

In fairness, Umberger scored two less goals than Hartnell last season while playing on a checking line. With that being said, Umberger works very well on special teams, including the Power Play (8 goals, 12 points) and is a very good penalty killer. He's also significantly more disciplined than Hartnell and the fact that the Flyers won't be short handed 60 to 70 times a year should make a big difference. Hartnell's penchant for taking bad penalties at inopportune times has cost this club on more than one occasion. Maybe it's just me, but I really think that Umberger can be a 25 - 30 goal winger playing with Giroux and Voracek, be the defensive conscience on the line and not cost the club with inopportune penalties.

• Like 2

There's a line.  They can't stay in peak shape all year around.  Constantly pushing your body that much can lead to injury.

The off season is for things like conditioning and building muscle.  You're going to lose a step and you may put on some weight while not playing every night, but you can't just slack off and do nothing, you have to work the right areas.

Come into cap healthy and strong and in decent shape and Camp and preseason will bust your butt into great shape.

It sounds as if the requisites for Lavi's camp were not as high and the punishment for failing to meet them not as strong.

They should be treating their bodies like a temple

.I can see a potential stand off between Trotz and Ovechkin that will probably split the team in Washington.

It can go either way, who knows, maybe Trotz is the one guy that can get through to OV, Lord knows, Alexander's way was not working. If OV does buy in, Washington becomes trouble with a capital T.

he is already 32...

Knuble was 33, going on 34, and that was his best year as a professional in the NHL. No reason why Umberger can't do the same if given an opportunity to play on a line with Giroux and Voracek. I do agree though that Schenn will probably be tried in that first line left wing spot.

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16

There's a line.  They can't stay in peak shape all year around.  Constantly pushing your body that much can lead to injury.

The off season is for things like conditioning and building muscle.  You're going to lose a step and you may put on some weight while not playing every night, but you can't just slack off and do nothing, you have to work the right areas.

Come into cap healthy and strong and in decent shape and Camp and preseason will bust your butt into great shape.

It sounds as if the requisites for Lavi's camp were not as high and the punishment for failing to meet them not as strong.

I was talking about food choices and lifestyle in general.

Yeah, I agree... I didn't mean to sound like I disagreed. 

Personally I try to eat well now, but if I'd have been able to make it to a professional level of a sport, I'd want to give myself the best chance at success and the best chance at longevity (aka earning potential and potential for winning championships) and good food and lifestyle choices would really seem to support that.

@King Knut  It's amazing how some players don't fully maximize their gifts by treating their bodies better. These guys are multi-millionaires, they should have chefs preparing them them great tasting stuff that is very good for you. Everybody is human, every once and a while, sure....go have some fast food, but it should not be a regular part of your diet. Through their respective teams, these guys have a wealth of resources, which give you the knowledge you need to be the best player you can be...it's a shame every player does not take that kinda stuff to heart.