POLL: GREATEST MOMENTS IN CAROLINA HURRICANES HISTORY

yave1964

What is the greatest moment in Hurricane history?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rank as the biggest moment for the Hurricanes?

• Staal brothers as far as the eye could see
    • 2008-09 deep run punctuated by improbable Scott Walker overtime winnner
    • Katrina
    • Stanley cup win in 2005-06 led by Cam Ward
    • first Cup final, 2001-02

The Hurricanes left the Mall in Hartford in 1997 for the tobacco fields in Carolina, and have had some exciting moments in their history since then. Here are a list of the ones I feel warrant consideration for the greatest moments in Hurricane history.

FIRST TIME IN THE STANLEY CUP FINALS

The 2001-02 Hurricanes were a team of destiny, a ragtag collection of talent led by icon Ronnie Francis and coach Paul Maurice, they won the division and went on to defeat the Canadiens and Maple Leafs to make the finals before bowing out to the Detroit Red Wings who sported at least ten Hall of Famers (not counting rookie Datsyuk) and bowing out in a very tough five game series.

WINNING IT ALL, THE CAM WARD CUP OF 2006

Young Eric Staal scored 100 points, Rod Brindamour was the heart and soul of the 'Canes, young coach Laviolette pushed every button right all year, most especially come post season, when veteran Gerber was sat in net for rookie Ward who picked the team up on his pads and did his best Ken Dryden act as he won the Conn Smythe trophy. A truly magical season in which everything that could go right did.

mYlFKcijEAfwzPBRI2CAw-Q.jpg

THE MIRACLE IN MOLSON

Every post season has games that stand out, the 2001-02 Canes Cup run was punctuated by a game still talked about in Carolina. Against Montreal in the second round, down 2-1 in games and losing 3-0 after two periods the series looked like it was going to be over soon. BUT then the Canes caught fire scoring 3 in the third to tie the game and then in overtime the Canes finished it off 4-3 leaving the home team Habs stunned, they never recovered and the Hurricanes won in six games.

THE SCOTT WALKER OVERTIME WINNER

The big bad Bruins in 2009, a year later they would hoist the cup, were involved in a nasty seven game series against the  Canes that included Scott Walker sucker punching Aaron Ward in the middle of a scrum. Walker in game seven scored the game winner in game 7. Every kids dream, a game 7 overtime goal, was Walker's only career post season goal. The 08-09 Canes had a fine run, upsetting the Devils and the Bruins before running out of gas against the Penguins in the conference finals.

STAAL, STAAL, EVERYWHERE A STAAL

April 26th, 2013 three Staal brothers, Captain Eric as well as Jordan and Jared were the starting line for the Hurricanes in a game against the New York Rangers. You're not going to see three brothers start a game together, so it was fun," Hurricanes coach Kirk Muller told the team's website. "I think the fans enjoyed it, the players on the team thought it was fun, and, of course, the Staal family.

"That's something they're going to remember the rest of their lives. We're in the NHL but we have to remember it's just a game sometimes and it's about living the moment. Stuff like that they'll remember the rest of their lives."

mK2x0vsPa1yufS96_9Ee7eA.jpg

Glad to see a humorous/sarcastic choice as a voting option!! :) Can we go back an edit the voting options for the Sabres Greatest moments in history :ph34r:

That being said, gotta go with the Stanley Cup winning season as my vote.

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 1

Katrina was an awesome choice!  I had to explain to my assistant why I was laughing.  Usually I just moan a lot.

The Stanley Cup has to trump all else, but in this case just beat Katrina by a nose.

• Like 1

Glad to see a humorous/sarcastic choice as a voting option!! :) Can we go back an edit the voting options for the Sabres :ph34r:

That being said, gotta go with the Stanley Cup winning season as my vote.

I am with you on this one Sami.  I was living in Buffalo at the time and the people there were just insufferable, especially with me being a Flyers fan.  When they got KO'd by the Canes i went nuts...I was so happy for Brindya nd Williams at the time too and I became a huge Lavy fanboy which carried into his time with the Flyers.