POLL: GREATEST MOMENTS IN COLUMBUS BLUEJACKETS HISTORY

Columbus Bluejackets greatest moments  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What is the greatest moment in the history fo the Jackets?

• Drafting of Rick Nash
    • Making playoffs for first time in 2008-09
    • Winning first playoff game in 2013-14
    • Steve Mason incredible rookie season
    • Bobrovsky wins the Vezina

Okay this one is easy. It is not exactly the Penguins or Flyers or Wings.

My biggest moment for the Jackets was a game that I went to, I live an hour north of town, we get to Nationwide several times a year. My wife bought us tickets2 rows off the glass behind the home net and Nash had a hat trick to beat my Wings 3-2 in overtime, hats flying everywhere. One of the best games I have seen, even if my Wings lost.

But on to the list:

STEVE MASON WINS CALDER, CAPTURES FANS.

Wow was this guy the real deal as a rookie. Unfreaking believable. 10 shutouts, the guy carried the team on his back and won the Calder. Within a year or so the fans had turned on him as fans will the goalie when the team loses, but man that rookie year was amazing.

mJ1O3du5jQDj8D0rQUxzWLg.jpg

JACKETS MAKE PLAYOFFS FOR FIRST TIME IN 2008-09

Ken Hitchcock pushed every button the right way and the Jackets made a fun run, bowing out in the first round being swept by the defending champs in Detroit. Rick Nash banged in 40 goals, R.J. Umberger potted 26, Steve Mason had 10 shutouts as a rookie, Huselius as solid. The rest of the team was unspectacular but they won. At least til the playoffs.

2013-14 JACKETS WIN A PLAYOFF GAME!!

April 19th of this year after 14 years of ineptitude the Jackets won in overtime against the Penguins fx81fxz9tmdmzgwjgdef.jpg

Matt Calvert scored the winner in double overtime for the first ever playoff winner in Jackets history. They liked it so much that they won the next game as well before bowing out in six games. But the fans are hopeful. Again.

RICK NASH FIRST PICK IN DRAFT 2002

Say what you want but this man could play for the Jackets. Sometimes surrounded with a rag tag collection of has beens and never weres he managed to score 40 a year twice and 30 or more 5 additional times. He was one heck of a player for a long time on a team with zero center. The fact that he put up the numbers that he did is remarkable.

mIjrRVQyXOh7W9dYb4u7oYA.jpg

WHAT ABOUT BOB? BOBROVSKY WINS VEZINA

The Jackets and Flyers essentially traded goalies and Bobrovsky went on to award the Columbus faithful (all five of them) by being the top goalie in the league in the strike shortened season of 2012-13. He went on to win the Vezina trophy as the leagues best netminder and followed that up with a solid year last year, making the Jackets confident that the net should be solid for the foreseeable future.

That is about it. Unless you count the day that Brandon Dubinsky autographed my 12 year old daughters jersey and made her a fan for life. I don't know whether to thank him or yell at him. I cant get the damn jersey off of her when the Jackets play my Wings.

Edited by yave1964

I think game this years playoff game 4 has to be one of the most memorable as the Blue Jackets came from behind from a 3-0 deficit tying the game at 3 apiece with 22.5 seconds remaining in regulation with a goal by Dubinsky.  Then winning it in OT by a nice pass from Umberger to Foligno tying the series 2-2.

The city of Columbus getting a major league team.

As a wings fan living an hour north of Columbus the city getting a team was a Godsend to me. Getting to see the Wings and other favorite teams without a three hour plus drive north is wonderful.