Free Agents still available

yave1964

There are still quite a few free agents available, believe it or not this late in the game. Not saying you are going to find Crosby or Ovie, but if you have one specific hole to fill there in a bottom pair or in a fourth line, there are some decent options.

Among them:

Ryan Carter: solid 4th liner for New Jersey for years who knows his role and can score a bit when called upon.

Joe Corvo: I know he has bounced around the league and is getting long in the tooth but still has a good first pass.

Raohael Diaz: Young puck mover, gets turned around in his own zone but he has potential.

Ed Jovanovski: 38 years old, may have to retire but still fundamentally sound when he is healthy.

Jamie McBain: Had a wretched year, his career is off track, still young enough and talented enough to turn it around.

Dustin Penner: He had a great start last year and then seemed to lose interest. Still, he has solid third liner written all over him.

Devin Setoguchi: Top six forward for a bad team, third liner for a good team, either way he can still play.

Martin Brodeur: Unless he thinks he can still be a starter somewhere, he could serve a team with a young goalie well with 25-30 quality starts and the benefit of his experience.

Okay, I guess not as much as I thought. But still someone willing to shop at Goodwill could do worse than taking a flyer on one or two of these guys.

Some might laugh, but I'd much rather have a healthy Jovo than Schultz. The skating is a wash, they are both brutal skaters, but at least Jovo could provide some crease clearing, veteran leadership and some physical play. If you are gonna have a sucky 7th d-man, at least make it one who fights, pushes back in scrums and makes life miserable on opponents. If Grossmann ends up being the odd man out on defense, Jovo's presence would be needed even more.

Some might laugh, but I'd much rather have a healthy Jovo than Schultz. The skating is a wash, they are both brutal skaters, but at least Jovo could provide some crease clearing, veteran leadership and some physical play. If you are gonna have a sucky 7th d-man, at least make it one who fights, pushes back in scrums and makes life miserable on opponents. If Grossmann ends up being the odd man out on defense, Jovo's presence would be needed even more.

Jovo and Setoguchi would look great in the winged wheel. Of course someone would have to wake Holland up to get him to make a move. Guchi on a two year deal, and Jovo on a one year would really add veteran depth.

Another guy who has been whispered about going to Detroit for several years who is still out there is Ryan Malone. Frankly, I think he is in about the same place in his career as Cleary, not only the back nine but the final green before the clubhouse, but Malone would bring a bit to a team if they could look past his off ice baggage. More than likely his career is done.

Ryan Carter: solid 4th liner for New Jersey for years who knows his role and can score a bit when called upon.

Joe Corvo: I know he has bounced around the league and is getting long in the tooth but still has a good first pass.

Raohael Diaz: Young puck mover, gets turned around in his own zone but he has potential.

Ed Jovanovski: 38 years old, may have to retire but still fundamentally sound when he is healthy.

Jamie McBain: Had a wretched year, his career is off track, still young enough and talented enough to turn it around.

Dustin Penner: He had a great start last year and then seemed to lose interest. Still, he has solid third liner written all over him.

Devin Setoguchi: Top six forward for a bad team, third liner for a good team, either way he can still play.

Martin Brodeur: Unless he thinks he can still be a starter somewhere, he could serve a team with a young goalie well with 25-30 quality starts and the benefit of his experience.

Bleck to all of that.

Except for maybe McBain. He's RH and was a high pick (63rd). A career minus player mind you.

Of that list, I like Dustin Penner and Devin Setoguchi.

I've always wondered why a pretty good performer like Penner is still a FA...but then, from the sounds of it, he tends to float through parts of his season?

I never really picked that up about him, but those that follow him closer might have.

Shame if that was the case, because when he decides to play, he can be pretty effective on the ice, whether its goals or physical play.

Seto, I've always said is a good addition to any club...provided he isn't the focus of a line.

Very good supporting player.

I will agree that at this point in his career, he probably fits best on a team's 3rd line, however, if you have really good scoring type 2nd or even 1st liners, he can make an excellent 'digger' if you would, for scoring linemates, even if he doesn't get goals himself.

He is a real good hitter, jars pucks loose, and has no problems going into the boards against more than one opposing player to fight for a puck....AND coming away with it and perhaps getting it to a more able scoring linemate.

Not your classic top six guy, but again, with the right linemates, he can be due to his physical play, and hey, the guy DOES get chances himself...I've seen him get them quite a bit when  he was in Minnesota....but FINISHING on them is another story entirely for him.....

But yea, Penner or Setoguchi, not bad to take a flyer on either one of those guys if the price is right.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Setoguchi was really pretty bad in Winnipeg last year. Invisible. You probably saw him more in Minny than I did in Wpg, but I see a guy who is just plain lost. Hard to believe he was an 8th overall pick (I never realized that, thought he was maybe a 2nd rounder)

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Setoguchi was really pretty bad in Winnipeg last year. Invisible. You probably saw him more in Minny than I did in Wpg, but I see a guy who is just plain lost. Hard to believe he was an 8th overall pick (I never realized that, thought he was maybe a 2nd rounder)

Heh...yea, that's why I said he shouldn't ever be the focus of a line and that he is a supporting player.

His deficiencies stand out a lot more when he is on a team that doesn't have many primary scorers.

I believe he is also a 'system type' player and does best when there is a definite set system in place, such as what the Wild have. Problem with Minnesota was, they needed finishers on offense....which Seto clearly is NOT.

The Jets, I don't believe subscribe to any system in particular, which that in itself, is detrimental to their team....no identity.

Not making excuses for the guy, but for better or worse, Seto is the classic on ice 'follower' rather than leader.

If you have others leading the way in scoring, positioning, and overall team philosophy, then he can fall right in....just don't expect him to set the tone for a team.

I know that isn't ideal at all for most hockey players, but again, if you get him with the right guys, he can be effective.

Do keep in mind that perhaps I am looking at him through the eyes of someone who liked his play in Minnesota as well as beforehand with the Sharks.

His play COULD have dropped off and "not having the right guys" is most likely not a real excuse for any drop offs he may have had, but still, I think he is worth a look for a team that is pretty well set in offense and need a guy to do the 'dirty work'.

I believe he is also a 'system type' player and does best when there is a definite set system in place, such as what the Wild have. Problem with Minnesota was, they needed finishers on offense....which Seto clearly is NOT.

The Jets, I don't believe subscribe to any system in particular, which that in itself, is detrimental to their team....no identity.

That's an interesting point. I think it really was true about the Jets under Claude Noel, but it cannot be said of the team under Maurice. He put structure in place immediately and they looked like a different team. I'm starting to think Noel was a nut bar actually and probably did some damage to players like Seto that is still being undone.

But Maurice gave Seto a chance to succeed, playing him on the PP and with good players. And it didn't change much. Maybe it wasn't enough time for him to turn it around, but it looks like he's having a hard time finding a job right now. Any GM who watches tape of him last year will come away unimpressed and not be whipping the cheque book out.

Annnnnndddd....the Flames sign Gouch to a one year 750,000 deal....nice depth signing here, with a fair amount of upside for such a low cap hit.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=460071

Well, there we have it....and if Seto plays at his peak, he still may not rake the points in (yea, fantasy hockey people hate him), but he falls right in to what Calgary likes to do: Hit people.

Plus, with the talent that is being put together and grown in Flame-Land, Seto may not have to do much more than that.

He may yet thrive under a tough defensive system like what Calgary puts out.  I wish him well over there.

Archived