The greatest players never to play in the NHL

ScottM

Me.

I would have been the bomb. Gretzky like vision, Lemieux like Agility, catlike balance and terrific hand eye coordination. Hard accurate quick shot and release. Smooth as silk pass and quick decision maker.

Shame I could not skate backwards worth crap or stop properly and nobody would teach me.

That is exactly why Clarke pulled this infamous stunt, one of the most vicious intentional slashes in hockey history. I just love the fact he always smiles and tells the truth, that he would indeed do it again.....hilarious. So much like a classic Clarke quote...

I know you've seen it before, but WOW is that *ever* a sinister wind up by Clarkie....WOW.

rofl. Well, Bobby Clarke was a POS. No offense Flyer fans.

The level of violence accepted back then was incredible. A butt end to the temple would knock a lot of people out cold. Blunt force trauma with a deadly weapon. It is like smasing someone with a hammer. It is worse in motive than the Bertuzzi attack and could have been much worse. And this was an exhibition game.

@J0e Th0rnton  Good ol' Bobby, wow, he was a vicious mean SOB, he carved up opponents with the best of them. Yeah, the level of violence was really hard to wrap your head around, esp with all the present day rules etc. You were actually taking your life in your own hands playing hockey back then...lol.

Yep, the Russians were winning the series at that point, and the Canadians were very worried about Khalamov taking over the whole series. I would love to see who gave the actual order to take him out, I have a gut feeling that string was pulled by Alan Eagleson (let the conspiracy grow and multiply....LOL). Khalamov was making our defense, look quite pedestrian, he was beating the very best d-men in the world wide whenever he pleased....he was scary good.

You may enjoy coverage of the '72 Series from the site Black Dog Hates Skunks. Each minute of each game was gone over and checked for Coris events. As it turns out, only in game 5 did the Soviets outchance the Canadians in that series, and not a single Canadian regular was outchanced once the series was finished.

72sc.jpg

There was really only guy (Rod Seiling) who had his lunch handed to him, and he was usually a pretty sure defensive player in NHL games, and he only played a few games before the coaching staff threw water on the fire and took him out.

Annnnnnnyway. Yeah, Kharlamov was damned good. Others coming to mind kind of quickly: Tretiak (duh), Vasiliev, Firsov, Maltsev. Everything I've read about Bobrov says he was amazing, but I can make zero claims as to the standard of play. I'll believe his skill was outstanding, though.

@JR Ewing  Very neat find, makes me wonder if they applied corsi to the old original six, who would stand out etc...

I think it would be a lot like now: it would find over and undervalued players. Who they would be particularly we can't know for sure, but we can sometimes make educated guesses. Doug Harvey sounds like prototype for a play controlling Corsi monster: he limited chances against and drew forecheckers before smartly passing the puck up-ice to open players, creating chances.

But... It's just a guess.

@JR Ewing  Hopefully, some stat nut goes to work on the corsi for the original Six....ha ha. There are some players I'd love to see the Corsi stats for. Not org. Six, but can you imagine the unGodly Corsi that Bobby Orr put up in some of his best seasons? Would also be neat to see the Corsi for the Big 3 in their primes. Who would have the better Corsi stats, Coffey or Potvin?

@JR Ewing  Hopefully, some stat nut goes to work on the corsi for the original Six....ha ha. There are some players I'd love to see the Corsi stats for. Not org. Six, but can you imagine the unGodly Corsi that Bobby Orr put up in some of his best seasons? Would also be neat to see the Corsi for the Big 3 in their primes. Who would have the better Corsi stats, Coffey or Potvin?

I don't think that would be humanly possible

Corsi is the amount of shots taken vs shots against while you are on the ice. Not just shots on net. Blocked shots, tipped shots, high/wide shots, etc and those things need to be tracked with your eyes. They only recorded shots on goal back then.

Nobody has every game ever filmed as far as I know. Or they would play more than the same old vintage games.

I don't think that would be humanly possible

Corsi is the amount of shots taken vs shots against while you are on the ice. Not just shots on net. Blocked shots, tipped shots, high/wide shots, etc and those things need to be tracked with your eyes. They only recorded shots on goal back then.

Nobody has every game ever filmed as far as I know. Or they would play more than the same old vintage games.

Yup. It's a idea, but will forever remain a wish. I have a lot of stuff covering 1968 thru to today, which I didn't release but, but none of it is Corsi. Won't happen, because it can't happen.

Blocked shots, tipped shots, high/wide Jeff Carter's shots, etc and those things need to be tracked with your eyes.

Some of those - the blocked ones in particular - can be tracked with different parts of your body  ;)

• 3 months later...

Archived