I hate the spin-o-rama ban in shootouts

Yorick

Meh...iffin yer gonna have a skills competition decide games, you may as well go all out and just leave flashy stuff like the spin-o-rama in it.

In fact, if one was so inclined, perhaps they could even allow that gimmick that Alex Ovechkin used in an All Star Game a few years ago where he skated with a damned cape and shades I believe and fancied himself the Russian Superman as he skated towards the goal! 

What's wrong with the spinorama is the need to interpret the rules.  "the puck must be in a constant forward motion".   Shootout goals shouldn't have to go for a review just to see if they are legal.  

I like the move to ban the spinorama, if a player wants to use it in regulation or OT fine.  

Oh... so many ties fans over here. OK.

I find it pointless to argue about the issue, so I just express my disagreement with you, and have a good day.

I'm probably about the only one on this site that actually likes the shootout, but I'm glad they banned the spin-o-rama.  Did I enjoy watching players try some moves that took some extra effort and practice - sure- but we shouldn't need a judging panel to clarify if the puck continued in forward motion.  Keep the extra creative stuff for the All Star Game.

I'm probably about the only one on this site that actually likes the shootout, but I'm glad they banned the spin-o-rama.  Did I enjoy watching players try some moves that took some extra effort and practice - sure- but we shouldn't need a judging panel to clarify if the puck continued in forward motion.  Keep the extra creative stuff for the All Star Game.

For me, its not the shoot out ITSELF I don't like...I just don't like the power it has over team's destiny in the standings.

Teams go tooth n nail for 60+ minutes, one team could have really played a tough, grind it out game against a star laden team, but now, the game comes down to a skills competition...one which the star laden team has a bit of an advantage on, and the tough, grinding team may not...so all their work goes up in smoke due to an 'event' that is far removed from the 60 minutes of hell they just put themselves through.

I am an advocate of teams practicing the shoot out, since it IS there, and there to stay it seems, but I think the resentment for it with myself and some other fans is the fact that it is deciding who goes into the playoffs....a playoffs, where, the shoot out is NO WHERE to be found.

And I know I joked about the whold spin-o-rama, Alex Ovechkin thing, but yea, if they don't want to have the 'cute stuff' like spin o ramas involved, that is fine.

If they must have a shoot out, just keep it all business, and make it as quick as possible...though I STILL think the shoot out deciding winners can be somewhat rectified by revamping the point system just a bit.

For me, its not the shoot out ITSELF I don't like...I just don't like the power it has over team's destiny in the standings.

Teams go tooth n nail for 60+ minutes, one team could have really played a tough, grind it out game against a star laden team, but now, the game comes down to a skills competition...one which the star laden team has a bit of an advantage on, and the tough, grinding team may not...so all their work goes up in smoke due to an 'event' that is far removed from the 60 minutes of hell they just put themselves through.

I am an advocate of teams practicing the shoot out, since it IS there, and there to stay it seems, but I think the resentment for it with myself and some other fans is the fact that it is deciding who goes into the playoffs....a playoffs, where, the shoot out is NO WHERE to be found.

And I know I joked about the whold spin-o-rama, Alex Ovechkin thing, but yea, if they don't want to have the 'cute stuff' like spin o ramas involved, that is fine.

If they must have a shoot out, just keep it all business, and make it as quick as possible...though I STILL think the shoot out deciding winners can be somewhat rectified by revamping the point system just a bit.

I do agree with your post.  I don't want to see the shootout in the playoffs, but the league needs a way of settling the score in a timely manner after regulation and OT end.  I'm sure teams like the Devils last year were kicking themselves for having such a poor shootout record, but it is a part of today's rules and teams / players need to be prepared.

but the league needs a way of settling the score in a timely manner after regulation and OT end.

Yeah, its called a tie. The shootout is a gimmick and a disgrace (imo). You play 65 minutes of a TEAM game and then throw a doughnut on the ice for a bonus point. Ridiculous. Let the teams go take a shower after 65 minutes of hockey and be done with it. For the fare-the-well fan, maybe the shootout is fun and satisfying. For an old dog like me, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I would rather leave an arena with a TEAM tie than a W/L on individual skills competition. 

I know that the OT's became ho hum because teams played "safety" allot of times, but the shootout is not the solution. For the additional 5-7 minutes airtime it takes to do the shootout, just make the OT 10 minutes and put an extra point on the table to give incentive to not play ho-hum / safety. 

They really need to adjust the points system to make regulation/OT wins worth more than SO wins. If we have to keep the loser point, make regulation/OT wins worth 3 points, SO wins worth 2 points, and OT/SO losses worth 1 point. Ideally teams would get 0 points for any type of a loss, but I don't expect them to do away with the loser point.

As for the spin-o-rama, I don't really care one way or another.

I find it interesting that if I say pig crap smells worse than cow crap (it does) that suddenly I'm a fan of cow crap.

I prefer hockey. Let the idiotic skills competition to the archery fans.

Dude, there is always chicken s**t to blame.

Archived