Hi, Minnesota? It’s me, Marty Brodeur. I’d like to apply for a job

Irishjim

It’s a tough time to play goalie for the Minnesota Wild. Josh Harding, fresh off an outstanding season in which he led the league in goals-against average and save percentage, already had a major hurdle to climb two days ago. Multiple sclerosis would limit his ability to handle a full starter’s workload. Things went from bad to worse for Harding Wednesday when he broke his foot. The details remain foggy, but so far we know Harding kicked a wall after an off-ice altercation with a teammate. He’s out indefinitely.

Next up is Darcy Kuemper, 24, who was good but not great in chunks of starting duty last season. In theory, he could step right into Harding’s role, but he’s a restricted free agent and contract talks have not gone well. Wild coach Mike Yeo and GM Chuck Fletcher publicly expressed their frustration about the process. Kuemper has even threatened to bolt for the Kontinental League. Kuemper wants a one-way deal, but the Wild prefer a two-way. Kuemper apparently hasn’t quite played well enough to win the organization’s confidence.

That leaves Niklas Backstrom as the “sure thing.” The Finn is 36 and fresh off core muscle surgery. He looked like a shell of his old self when he did play last season. He’s supposedly healthy now, but he’s only healthy relative to his 2013-14 self.

Minnesota’s net situation is dire enough that GM Chuck Fletcher invited Ilya Bryzgalov back for a training camp tryout. Bryzgalov accepted. Maybe Fletcher simply wants to up the heat on Kuemper’s camp. Or maybe the Wild believe they can get by with a Backstrom/Bryzgalov tandem. Bryz was brilliant at times for Minnesota down the stretch last spring after coming over at the trade deadline, going 7-1-3 with a 2.12 GAA and .911 SP. He left a lot to be desired in the playoffs, however, losing six of nine starts with a yucky .885 SP. That’s the problem with Bryzgalov. You never know when he might Bryzgalov things up.

And that’s where I see an opportunity in Minnesota. Martin Brodeur, this is your cue.

full article here: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/hi-minnesota-its-me-marty-brodeur-id-like-to-apply-for-a-job/

Next up is Darcy Kuemper, 24, who was good but not great in chunks of starting duty last season

Kuemper beat Valarmov (who was a vezina finalist last year if I remember correctly). So, he is not copped liver. 

On the harding thing, WTF? Don't you have enough problems in your life without self inflicting? 

• 5 weeks later...

Is Marty playing anymore?

He's practicing with his son's Junior team in Quebec, waiting for somebody to get injured or desperate for a veteran goalie. Sucks to see him hanging on like this. Maybe if he'd acted a little differently last year he could have finished his career with the Devils as Cory's backup. Oh well.

He's practicing with his son's Junior team in Quebec, waiting for somebody to get injured or desperate for a veteran goalie. Sucks to see him hanging on like this. Maybe if he'd acted a little differently last year he could have finished his career with the Devils as Cory's backup. Oh well.
thanks for the update I agree with you on the way he acted. At the age of 41 he should have retired years ago. By chance do you know if the N.H.L changed the format on the order of how the teams ranked in the draft?

Kuemper beat Valarmov (who was a vezina finalist last year if I remember correctly). So, he is not copped liver. 

On the harding thing, WTF? Don't you have enough problems in your life without self inflicting? 

Excellent point Van. Darcy beat a very capable Ave's team, an impressive feat for a rookie tender in my books. The thing I don't understand is this...Kempher is there for this year for sure, so that essentially blocks Brodeur the way I see it. Darcy is the starter, Backstrom is the back up, and I consider Harding out of the picture (sad for him, but it sure appears this way).  Unless Backstrom goes down, which is certainly not out of the question, I don't see where the need for Marty would come from regarding Minnesota. Of course, there is the outside chance that Darcy starts to suck (doubtful)....and THEN Marty might even have an opening to start for the Wild. Could you imagine Brodeur leading the Wild to the finals in his last year....WOW what an outstanding story that would be.

I know it's early, and I know Rask is a proven thing, but he has looked alarming bad at times early on this year. The young kid in back of Rask looks ok, but certainly not the goalie you want playing in the playoffs should Rask get hurt or continue to suck....Marty and the Bruins, that would be a nice match....the perfect insurance policy for Rask. Subban's little brother is also in the picture, but again, not the kind of playoff insurance the Bruins would want. Marty would be ideal in Boston.

I think Minnesota is fine now, goalie-wise, however, Marty Brodeur MAY want to send his application to Denver, CO...I understand the Avalanche are in a real lurch for goaltending......

Brodeur in goal, Roy behind the bench. That might be worth it's own TV show. :lol:

Archived