Denver Post suspends Adrian Dater - UPDATE - FIRED

hf101

Dater has always been one of those reporters who tends to speak rather freely,

They say don't drink and drive. Well, in today's world, don't drink and post / e-mail at the professional level. Thats the way I read that post.

I kind of find it humorous, but if you are going to make a post like that when writing for a regarded publication that has readers of all ages, then its out of order. I don't think its enough to get fired for, but still some discretion is warranted.

I agree with @fishbulb , "unprofessional" was the very first thing that came to mind as I read that article.

No doubt as a beat writer for a given team, a reporter will have an attachment with said team, but there are FAR more clever, high road, and downright professional ways for a reporter to express his dislike for any given player.

One could argue that Mr. Dater simply spoke the truth from the heart as he saw things, and that may very well be, but he needs to realize the profession he is in, and in the journalism business, words are everything, and if he chooses his like a junior high schooler, then he should expect to be reprimanded as such.

He further compounds the immature behavior with his response to Mr. Spector......

If he were going to say certain things a certain way, and just bold faced stick by his comments and just weather the backlash that he should KNOW he is sure to get, that would be one thing...but the guy, to me, acted like he was thinking he did nothing that should raise any eyebrows.

And honestly, if that was his thought process, then he is closer to an internet lowest common denominator fan commenting on a player he doesn't like than to a professional sports reporter looking to become a more relevant voice in his chosen profession.

No, he shouldn't be fired, but I gotta believe that the credibility of his opinions took a serious hit now after those comments.

He can work towards rebuilding that credibility over time, but for the here and now, I hope he doesn't expect people within earshot of his original comments to just let him off easy....

He can work towards rebuilding that credibility over time, but for the here and now, I hope he doesn't expect people within earshot of his original comments to just let him off easy....

Colorado is extremely conservative (I know, I was born there). I really have to think he was a bit sauced up in tweeting that. Which is all fine and dandy, but to your point and my aforementioned point, you have to remember you are a professional.

Given that, I do believe there was a thread / comments made recently regarding the quality of writers these days and something to the extent that their intellect is not that high. I tend to agree with that. I find higher intellect here with most posters than I do in guys / girls that write articles for a living.

Mr. Dater, wow tell how you really feel....  this is a classic:

"McNabb is one of those marginally talented punk players who might just make himself a nice living in the NHL. Be prepared to hate him. A lot. Matt Cooke would think he’s a good player, in other words."

LOL .. WOW..... glad he is suspended.  Hockey dosn't need this type of coverage.

@Vanflyer

Dater has been around forever, i used to read his stuff before a Wings/Lanche game back in the day, really got my blood boiling.

It sickens me to say it, i don't see anything to get ones panties in a wad over. Dater has made a living writing like this forever. Why now? Why McNabb? As long as that idiot Cherry is spouting his racist crap every night with his anti-euro stuff, this stuff that Dater wrote here is really pretty tame in comparison. I just don't see it. And believe me, i wouldn't pee on Dater if he were on fire so it is difficult to say....

@yave1964  I'm ok with his post also. Perhaps a tad "unprofessional" but in the end, he's passionate and was expressing himself. Yeah, he could have used a nicer word, but this is PC gone bad IMHO. I don't think the word "*****" appeared in the Denver post....which would have been inappropriate, considering kids read it....but just in the tweet, I don't have a problem with it. If the Denver post fired him for this, they would be the *******.

It sickens me to say it, i don't see anything to get ones panties in a wad over. Dater has made a living writing like this forever. Why now? Why McNabb? As long as that idiot Cherry is spouting his racist crap every night with his anti-euro stuff, this stuff that Dater wrote here is really pretty tame in comparison. I just don't see it. And believe me, i wouldn't pee on Dater if he were on fire so it is difficult to say....

You are cracking me up Yave. Hate Cherry all you want, but racist is a bit of a harsh word for me and would not apply it to cherry. Discriminative, ok. Maybe its apple and oranges. I get you don't like cherry. Its generally a 50 / 50 crowd in that regard. 

I have no problem with Dater either. My singular issue is that he is a professional writer. If it was say me, you, @jammer2 posting like that on twitter, no problem. Freedom of speech and all that. Yet there is a level of accountability as a professional. My daughter is almost 3 years old and a huge hockey fan. Lets pretend that she is 8 and goes to twitter to read that? Parental controls and guidance aside, i don't want her exposed to that.

@Vanflyer   This guy has been doing this for quite a while. So much so that when you click on his twitter account, you are almost guaranteed to read something controversial. It's a little niche he has carved out for himself, which is fine with me. It's almost like the old joke, "doc it hurts when I do this"....and the doc says, "well, don't do that"...the same applies for clicking on his twitter account.

Bringing a child in as a variable, I just don't think they should be randomly clicking on adults twitter accounts (unless it's a relative etc)

I just don't think they should be randomly clicking on adults twitter accounts (unless it's a relative etc)

Fair enough and I thought the same thing when I wrote it. My daughter would never see it. I am extremely over protective of here.

So, I guess to that extent, no issue from me. That ****** piece of **** writer for the piece of **** city of denver can go **** himself regardless if his ****** stupid opinions are correct and he ****** throws a player under the god damn mother ****** bus. Now that dumb ass Grapes better get his **** together and stop being a damn racist otherwise I am just going to go postal on the whole broadcast community.

lets see.....hmmmmm #1- Pierre!

(all joking of course and just in good fun).

• 1 month later...

Dater has always been one of those reporters who tends to speak rather freely, but it looks like Dater said a few things via public media that were over the top.    Wow.  

It's quite obvious he isn't a fan of defenseman Brayden McNabb

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=62795

I don't remember that hit.  What do you think of it?  If it was at the pro level I'm blaming the puck carrier there.  For a kid, I'm a bit more hesitant, but you skate through center ice with your head down like that?  I mean, McNabb wasn't elevated at all.  Basically ran into a stationary object, didn't he?

I don't remember that hit.  What do you think of it?  If it was at the pro level I'm blaming the puck carrier there.  For a kid, I'm a bit more hesitant, but you skate through center ice with your head down like that?  I mean, McNabb wasn't elevated at all.  Basically ran into a stationary object, didn't he?

I don't remember the hit either as it was in the Memorial Cup.  I see your point but I think he elbow was deliberate by McNabb.  It looks to me as if Hishon ducked to avoid a collision and McNabb basically lined up the elbow for the hit.

Archived