Florida Panthers' Nearly Empty Arena Fuels Relocation Rumors

Irishjim

This is pathetic.. and everytime I hear count chocula rumors about expansion i cringe... read full article and the sad photos here

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2230759-florida-panthers-nearly-empty-stadium-fuels-relocation-rumors?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national1

This is pathetic.. and everytime I hear count chocula rumors about expansion i cringe... read full article and the sad photos here

NCAA, CHL, ECHL all drawl more than that! You can't see the upper bowl, but it barely looks like 2000- and if you are in the upper bowl, I am sure security is not going to stop you from getting a better seat in the lower bowl. Seattle actually fills the Key Arena for Thunderbird games. Florida to KC, Quebec or Seattle I say.

Last season I went to a Panthers home game against the NY Rangers.  The Panthers' arena is really top notch and attendance at this game was close to a full-house. However, I'd say 80% of crowd were very avid and loud Rangers fans.  I felt bad for the Panthers players - not hearing any of their fans cheering for them in their home arena.

@Irishjim

Good post Jim!!

I agree with you absolutely unequivocally that the Panther situation needs addressed before any expansion. There is no love of hockey in southern Florida, the experiment has failed. Move on. This needs to be the first order of business. Find a city/Provence to move them to.

Now as to expansion, i still think it is inevitable. 32 teams makes so much more sense than 30. Evening out the conferences, evening out the divisions makes a lot of sense to me. There has to be three cities, one for the Panthers and two for new teams, that make sense. Of course making sense in expansion is something that Bettman has never been known for.....

Pathetic..just pathetic.

I just posted my comments in the shoutbox.  Can we please end this failed NHL experiment known as the Fla. Panthers.  Agree with everyone above.

http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=attendance&season_id=43

According to the AHL stats from last year 7 teams averaged over 7000 fans over the seasons.  The Hershey Bears have a beautiful arena known as the Giant Center and the Phantoms up in Allentown (Lehigh Valley), according to my dad, is an amazing new arena.  I'm sure they will average near full capicity which is 9000-10000. 

Bettman should be ashamed when he witnessed an empty arean such what happened in Florida.  It puts a black eye on the NHL. 

I felt bad for the Panthers players - not hearing any of their fans cheering for them in their home arena.

Its akin to a lame horse. Just put it out of its misery. The only saving grace for the players is the weather (at times) and the nice golf courses and beach.

It really is an interesting study between Tampa Bay and Florida (Miami) regarding the two franchises. Florida has allot of good players, but they are always missing some key ingredient.

It's a South Florida thing.  The Heat (pre and probably post LeBron), Marlins - heck, even the Dolphins - just don't draw.  Too many transplants from other parts of the county with their own rooting interest.

I don't blame the NHL from trying but yeah - time to move on. 

Butts in seats doesn't mean anything. Tickets sold is the key. More than likely, the lower bowl is probably sold out due to corporate sales and ticket agencies.

According to Bob Mckenzie-that was tickets sold. I also heard/read that FLA would give thousands of tickets away to every game for years. Simply to fill seats. Season ticket holders got pissed-obviously. So the new owners stopped doing it. Hence-all the empty seats. That may have come from Mckenzie as well. Just don't remember for sure.

Butts in seats doesn't mean anything. Tickets sold is the key. More than likely, the lower bowl is probably sold out due to corporate sales and ticket agencies.

Good point and accurate. Florida is not the basement dwellers when it comes to valuation.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/#page:3_sort:0_direction:asc_search:

Pretty shocking when you really look at it. It just goes to show that perception is not always reality. 

As a side bar, the Maple leafs are valued more than 1/3 of NFL football teams.

I can't say as I blame the fans in Florida for not showing up. Their team has made the playoffs twice in the last 16 seasons. If you're in a non-traditional market and the product on the ice sucks, good luck building a fanbase. The reason hockey has worked in places like Dallas, San Jose, Nashville, and Tampa is because they've actually had good teams. Not all of them have won Cups, but they've at least been able to sustain enough success to build a fanbase. Florida has been a bad team for most of their existence. They went a decade between playoff appearances. Unless you're Toronto, I don't see how any fanbase is going to put up with that and keep coming back for more.

Archived