Rumor Buzzards Circle Oil Country, Have Ties to the East

Irishjim

by Michael DeNicola

To absolutely no one's surprise, another poor start to Edmonton's season has generated a whole lot of buzz among NHL insiders and commentators. The lovable goof, Don Cherry, spoke up on Rogers SportsNetabout it as well. Grapes said, "You can’t trade Yakupov because nobody’s going to take him. Eberle or one of those guys have got to go. It’s a tough deal giving one of the young players away, but something’s gotta go."

read full article here and the flyers connection: 

http://www.orangeandblackpack.com/PenaltyBox/tabid/86/Article/655/rumor-buzzards-circle-oil-country-have-ties-to-the-east.aspx 

I could see shipping off a piece like Eberle if the Oilers were getting slaughtered out there, but they haven't been, with the exception of playing the Stanley Cup champions with Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, Petry and Marincin out of the lineup. The Oilers have the 10th best Corsi% (52.4) in the league, but a PDO of 91 (dead last). In other words, they've controlled played more often than not, but have had low SH% and SV% thus far, which is unsustainable. It would be one thing if they hadn't made big strides and were still playing games where the other team has the puck the entire time, but they haven't been.

What they really need right now? Send Leon Draisaitl back to Prince Albert and get a dependable depth centre. He's not ready for the NHL and is costing Nail Yakupov and Teddy Purcell icetime. Kyle Brodziak would do just nicely, and could probably be had for much less than a king's ransom.

Interesting article to say the least...but the part is most interesting is this......

"The swirling enigma to Giroux's left flank has caused such a headache that bloggers are even lobbying to split up Claude and Jakub --

"While Giroux and Voracek make a dynamic pairing and can certainly make breathtaking plays with pure skill, the Flyers need to even out their lines and give themselves a chance to roll their lines more effectively. The only way to more evenly distribute their puck handlers and become a deeper team is to split up Voracek and Giroux." ---Bill Matz, Buzz on Broad

And ya know what? Bill is on to something.

Giroux and Voracek combine as one of the League's most elite pairings from a possession perspective. Both are incredibly difficult to knockoff the puck, and their stick work generates open ice by drawing the opposition. The problem being, there's an absence of pure, unadulterated goal-scoring on that line. It's incomplete, and the Flyers don't have the pieces to supplement it.

Ideally, moving Voracek to left-wing (a position he's played internationally) and promoting Simmonds to Giroux's right could be quite the deadly merger. But each of us knows that our forward makeup would be too top-heavy. If players like Schenn, (a healthy) Lecavalier, Couturier, Umberger, Read and Raffl were playing like true Top 6 forwards, then perhaps we could invest more consideration in a top line of the aforementioned trio. But it's not developing that way. Instead all scoring is consolidated on that top line and man-advantage. That's not anywhere near a level of balance, and we're currently paying for it at even-strength -- our goal differential is a -5. Much of that can be credited to lousy defense, but Philadelphia is currently 6th in shots on goal per game (34.0). We're just not finishing at even-strength.

I won't disclose what I'd relinquish for him, but if Nail Yakupov is for sale, acquiring him and plugging him at LW on Line 1 would be absolutely stupendous."

So the question begs to be asked...... do you split up Jake and Roo or do you make an attempt at going after Yak?

I can't help but not think Edm would want a King's ransom for Yaupov.......

I won't disclose what I'd relinquish for him, but if Nail Yakupov is for sale, acquiring him and plugging him at LW on Line 1 would be absolutely stupendous."

So the question begs to be asked...... do you split up Jake and Roo or do you make an attempt at going after Yak?

Danger, danger...

Nail Yakupov has been greatly improved this year, whether we're talking about with the puck or away from it........ But man, he's a MUCH better RW than LW. Honestly, it's sort of night and day. He may not be what you're looking for on port side.

Danger, danger...

Nail Yakupov has been greatly improved this year, whether we're talking about with the puck or away from it........ But man, he's a MUCH better RW than LW. Honestly, it's sort of night and day. He may not be what you're looking for on port side.

No that is fine JR..that is why I am asking.  I don't see much of Yakupov that is why I am asking.  Appreciate your honest input. 

Eberle or one of those guys have got to go.

Please let it happen. I've hung on to him for 4 years and his fantasy value will never come back to where it should be if he stays on that dreadful team. 

.but the part is most interesting is this......

"The swirling enigma to Giroux's left flank has caused such a headache that bloggers are even lobbying to split up Claude and Jakub --

I have to disagree. The most interesting part is that there is not one mention about defense. The Flyers do not struggle at offense.

I have to disagree. The most interesting part is that there is not one mention about defense. The Flyers do not struggle at offense.

and who exactly from Edmontons stellar D would you like in O&B. I feel our future D is sitting in the minors..now we just need to unload about 4-5 of the stiffs we have now. this article is just talking about getting that missing #1 winger for G's line

and who exactly from Edmontons stellar D would you like in O&B. I feel our future D is sitting in the minors..now we just need to unload about 4-5 of the stiffs we have now. this article is just talking about getting that missing #1 winger for G's line

Jeff Petry is a good two way defenseman who can't seem to come to terms with the club, and may well be on the outs. Moves the puck well, relatively physical. During the last couple of years, because the Oilers had such poor defensive depth, he was asked to played top pairing minutes at ES, and posted a Corsi% of 47%. For a team that never had the puck, that's an outstanding number, and he did it against the Sedins, Kopitars, Toews, etc, of the western conference. This year, being played where he actually should be, he's at 64%. That number will go down, but the early returns have been very good when not asked to play out of his depth.

Not a stellar guy, but would that represent an improvement on at least the worst Flyers defenseman. Maybe more.

And he's probably available.

@JR Ewing  I like Petry. He's got nice mobility and a good head on his shoulders. Does not mind the physical side of things, as far as I can see. I don't think he would cost much. Perhaps the Oilers want to add some scoring depth....maybe an Akeson or Raffl swap for Petry would help both teams. Akeson can play center and would make a nice puck possession type eventually.

Interesting article to say the least...but the part is most interesting is this......

"While Giroux and Voracek make a dynamic pairing and can certainly make breathtaking plays with pure skill, the Flyers need to even out their lines and give themselves a chance to roll their lines more effectively. The only way to more evenly distribute their puck handlers and become a deeper team is to split up Voracek and Giroux." ---Bill Matz, Buzz on Broad

And ya know what? Bill is on to something.

Giroux and Voracek combine as one of the League's most elite pairings from a possession perspective. Both are incredibly difficult to knockoff the puck, and their stick work generates open ice by drawing the opposition. The problem being, there's an absence of pure, unadulterated goal-scoring on that line. It's incomplete, and the Flyers don't have the pieces to supplement it.

Ideally, moving Voracek to left-wing (a position he's played internationally) and promoting Simmonds to Giroux's right could be quite the deadly merger. But each of us knows that our forward makeup would be too top-heavy. If players like Schenn, (a healthy) Lecavalier, Couturier, Umberger, Read and Raffl were playing like true Top 6 forwards, then perhaps we could invest more consideration in a top line of the aforementioned trio. But it's not developing that way. Instead all scoring is consolidated on that top line and man-advantage. That's not anywhere near a level of balance, and we're currently paying for it at even-strength -- our goal differential is a -5. Much of that can be credited to lousy defense, but Philadelphia is currently 6th in shots on goal per game (34.0). We're just not finishing at even-strength.

Ahh, I started a thread on pretty much this topic - I hadn't seen this post yet.

Seems like that kind of thinking (splitting up Roo and Jake) is gaining traction.

Lets see......

As a Wings fan I would love to see Eberle wearing the winged wheel. Nearly a point a game player with a wretched center more often than not. Imagine him being set up by either Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

The Oilers need a center or two or three and a defenseman or two or three. Both positions are strengths for Detroit.

How about:

Eberle for Sheahan and Brendan Smith? Sheahan is a solid number 2, Jammer will tell you, he is a big boy developing nicely and Brendan Smith is a personal favorite, finally developing into a top 4 with a bit of offensive ability and a nasty streak.

Lets see......

As a Wings fan I would love to see Eberle wearing the winged wheel. Nearly a point a game player with a wretched center more often than not. Imagine him being set up by either Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

The Oilers need a center or two or three and a defenseman or two or three. Both positions are strengths for Detroit.

How about:

Eberle for Sheahan and Brendan Smith? Sheahan is a solid number 2, Jammer will tell you, he is a big boy developing nicely and Brendan Smith is a personal favorite, finally developing into a top 4 with a bit of offensive ability and a nasty streak.

That's a pretty good trade right there.

Archived