Dustin Byfuglien: 45 Point Foward Or 55 Point Defenseman?

TropicalFruitGirl26

byfuglien-459533957-640x427.jpg

Thought I would pose this question about Big Buff.

Was  having a 'conversation' of sorts with an alleged 'all knowing' hockey fan, and he seemed to think that Byfuglien is better served (and better for his team) if he were to remain a defenseman where he could contribute in more ways than he ever could as a forward.

The argument was made that as a #1 D-man (his description, not mine), Buff could easily put out 55 more meaningful points as opposed to around 40-45 LESS impactful points as a 2nd or 3rd line forward.

My stance was that while Dustin IS capable of generating the point totals that were argued for, his overall defensive play (positioning, coverage, anticipation, even backwards speed) was STILL a big enough liability to the team, where other teams could exploit it...particularly if it's a top line.....a top line that a number one D-man WOULD be expected to cover.

The guy further went on to compare Byfuglien to Erik Karlsson (which I thought was kinda laughable...just too different of a player), and stated that "Big Buff as a forward is just plain stupid....and anyone who thinks he is better there is ignorant"

Hmmm..well, I guess I am ignorant, because I LIKE Byfuglien as a power forward and Andreychuk-like forward on the PP.

I happen to think his defensive play is average at best, mediocre at worst, and that even a smaller, though more positionally sound D-man who would put up less points from the blue line is better than Buff at the position.....if Buff can be fully converted and game planned by the coach as a full fledged power forward.

Anyways, since I think many posters on this site have a pretty good understanding of many players throughout the league, and many with an objective view, I thought I would pose this here and read some responses.

Not looking for a "prove me right, prove him wrong" type thing.....just HF Net's honest opinions on whether they think Dustin Byfuglien would benefit more (and in turn his team benefit more) from him being a power forward, a defenseman, or perhaps a pre-cursor to what may become 'normal' in the NHL.....a regular "swing man" who can play both positions equally depending on the needs of the team, the opponent, and the situations it finds itself in.

I will read through some of your guys' thoughts.   :)

Ask your friend which position Buff won the Stanley Cup playing.

Then ask him how many capable offensive defenseman there are in the league. The answer is that almost every team has almost one.

Ask him how many defense minded, big bodied, capable of scoring, power forwards there are in the league.

That is all you have to ask lol

Better question. Should PANAUEF be a forward?

I'd move him to wing in a second.

Watched the Winnipeg Colorado game today and Byfuglien was playing the left wing (or at least that's what it looked like) and he was dominant at times. He was so hard to knock of the puck and he had great chemistry with his linemates. Along with Wheeler, Perrault and Schieffle dominating as well, I would have to say that the Jets are better off with him as a forward that plays the point on the powerplay. Of course this is one game and is a small sample size, he was very good up front.

Interesting indeed....

I am not going to pretend I understand ALL of that info presented in there, but from what I got out of it, Dustin Byfuglien may very well be the PERFECT hybrid type player, as @yave1964 alluded to, and maybe the beginning of a line of true players that can do play both offense and defense, and still pay dividends for his team, depending on the situation and opponents.

I know there have been several in the past who have played both forward and defenseman, however, usually, those are done because a players is very below average on defense and is converted to a 3rd or 4th line type basher, or a forward who is so offensively challenged, he gets put on a third pairing 'D' as a body for the other team to try and get around.

Big Buff, while I still believe leaves a bit to be desired defensively, is at least competent as a defenseman and quite a handful as a forward...even beyond just a crasher.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Buff is way more of a threat as a power forward. He is great in the corners and a big presence in front of the net. It's nice that the Jets have the option of using him on the blue line. Especially on the PP. I think his slow start is just making this more of a debate than it is.

Archived