It appears Neuvirth has taken job from Enroth

Buffalo Rick

Neuvirth has played well and has won the last two games the Sabres were able to win in SO's over Detroit and the San Jose Sharks.  I am sure they will continue to more or less split duties but the former Capitals goalie seems to have won the job for now.  Both are good goalies.  But not in the class of Miller.   No way no how.  Never.  We must use one of those 3 number one picks or a number two , and we have plenty, to pick a goalie that could be unoticed to the rest of the hockey world like Hasek was.  We must find the next Hasek/Miller/Edwards/Sauve in this draft or the one after.  Buffalo has had much bad luck, but one thing they have always had was a great goalie.  Except in their expansion years including their 5th year of existence when we lost the Cup to Parent and only because we did not have a Hasek or Miller to seal the deal for Gilbert Perrault and Rick Martin and Rene Robert, three guys that deserved better as did Jim Kelly.  The two guys in the pipes now are good.  The team of course is not. But its not like they have nobody.  They have a few good players.  And a few young guys like Reinhart that will see better  days down the road.  Ennis is one of the guys that will be important in the future of this team. He has been in the playoffs, even won a game in OT, and has tasted success.  I do not know if this kid  from Washington will be around a long time but he has really played well.

, to pick a goalie that could be unoticed to the rest of the hockey world like Hasek

Somebody else posted on another thread that its not wise to draft a goalie, but better to trade for one. I concur with that. Lets use Miller as an example. It just takes way too long to develop a goalie who may or may not be capable. Use the picks to get a provent entity and not for a hope for tomorrow goalie.

Somebody else posted on another thread that its not wise to draft a goalie, but better to trade for one. I concur with that. Lets use Miller as an example. It just takes way too long to develop a goalie who may or may not be capable. Use the picks to get a provent entity and not for a hope for tomorrow goalie.

Depends on the year and the class.  We robbed the Blackhawks blind for Hasek but that does not happen all time

but better to trade for one. I concur with that.

Me too. 

Almost impossible to predict who will stand out as a goaltender. 

You guys ever heard of Toby Ducolon?  I know him because I watched him as a youth player.  He got drafted by St. Louis.  Played for Peoria.  Then came back home.

He got drafted one selection ahead of Patrick Roy.

@Hockey Junkie

Scouting has come a long way since the days of Hasek. It's not often great players fall through the cracks. It still happens but it's basically pure luck. Using one of your first round picks, or even seconds on an "unheard of" prospect is a waste. Our  junior goalie Mackenzie Blackwood  is one of the highest rated there is...but he looked better last year than this. he's got good size 6' 4" 215 lbs and skillset. Probably go early 2nd round.

Neuvirth has played well and has won the last two games the Sabres were able to win in SO's over Detroit and the San Jose Sharks.  I am sure they will continue to more or less split duties but the former Capitals goalie seems to have won the job for now.  Both are good goalies.  But not in the class of Miller.   No way no how.  Never.  We must use one of those 3 number one picks or a number two , and we have plenty, to pick a goalie that could be unoticed to the rest of the hockey world like Hasek was.  We must find the next Hasek/Miller/Edwards/Sauve in this draft or the one after.  Buffalo has had much bad luck, but one thing they have always had was a great goalie.  Except in their expansion years including their 5th year of existence when we lost the Cup to Parent and only because we did not have a Hasek or Miller to seal the deal for Gilbert Perrault and Rick Martin and Rene Robert, three guys that deserved better as did Jim Kelly.  The two guys in the pipes now are good.  The team of course is not. But its not like they have nobody.  They have a few good players.  And a few young guys like Reinhart that will see better  days down the road.  Ennis is one of the guys that will be important in the future of this team. He has been in the playoffs, even won a game in OT, and has tasted success.  I do not know if this kid  from Washington will be around a long time but he has really played well.

Hasek was not "unnoticed".

Hasek was playing behind the Iron curtain at the time. Drafting him was risky because at the time, it was unlikely he would be allowed to come over since he proclaimed he loved home and did not want to. Which is why he did not play a single game in the NHL until 1990 after being drafted in 1983.

Even in 1987, they offered to make him one of the highest paid Hawks and he turned it down because he loved playing at home.

Hasek was not "unnoticed".

Hasek was playing behind the Iron curtain at the time. Drafting him was risky because at the time, it was unlikely he would be allowed to come over since he proclaimed he loved home and did not want to. Which is why he did not play a single game in the NHL until 1990 after being drafted in 1983.

Even in 1987, they offered to make him one of the highest paid Hawks and he turned it down because he loved playing at home.

He loved and still loves, drinking and rolling Porches

• 4 months later...

Archived