Commentators

ruxpin

The commentators in Boston, Florida, and Pittsburgh have been beaten to death elsewhere and that can be done here. All are horrible.

But what inspired this thread was my watching Comcast Sportsnet Central this morning (no, this isn't about the marketing genius who named the show).

A couple people are just horrible. First, Brian Boucher is simply horrible in the studio for Flyers games. I like the guy but he is completely unbearable. He doesn't seem to get the easy tosses from his partner in the booth and really doesn't seem to be enjoying it. Just terrible. Someone sign him up for a West German BMW commercial.

But far worse is Dei Lynam (sp?). I absolutely cannot stand listening to her. If there was anyone ever more in need of a stool softener. When she is introducing a story or doing a voice over she has the weirdest style of speech and sounds like a constipated goat. Just because her daddy was a coach doesn't mean we should have to suffer. Someone make her go away.

@ruxpin

I moved the topic to General Hockey.  

LOL on the BMW commercial, Mike Richards takes the award for the worst guest spokesperson. 

I don't mind Boucher that much, rookie status imo as Therien, Lappy, Tocchet all were bad for the first few months.  Boucher always gave good player interviews so I think it may just take some time to get comfortable in front of the camera.  I doubt he had a Communications major.

As far as Dei Lynam -- she is the worst.  If it wasn't for the name she wouldn't have this job.

Greetings:

Agreed with Lynam...but Therien needs some practice. He is less irritating than Coates but I am not sure about the value added.  Last night I had the Panthers feed due to blackout restrictions and Bill Lindsay was the Panthers man in the glass. His insights into the game were far better than Therien's.  But we can hope that things improve with age.

By the way, it ticks me of that Center Ice is not HD in my market.  

Best,

Howie

Greetings:

Agreed with Lynam...but Therien needs some practice. He is less irritating than Coates but I am not sure about the value added.  Last night I had the Panthers feed due to blackout restrictions and Bill Lindsay was the Panthers man in the glass. His insights into the game were far better than Therien's.  But we can hope that things improve with age.

By the way, it ticks me of that Center Ice is not HD in my market.  

Best,

Howie

Yeah, it's not HD in my market, either, so I didn't bother getting it.

I agree about Therien, but I couldn't stand Coates so I'll take it for now and hope for the improvement you seem to also be hoping for.

Wow, couldn't disagree more. I really like Boosh... much better than Tocchet imo.

Really?  I honestly can't understand how that's possible (although Jammer apparently likes him, too).    I don't agree with the comparison to Tocchet (I liked him a lot more), but I will say that I prefer him to Clement.  I like Clement in the booth for color, but in the studio, while he is so much better spoken than Boosh, he has become so "Rah Rah" and company line guy that he (Clement) is hard to take.

For me, when he's not being dismissive of anything the studio host is throwing to him, he comes across so dial tone for me. I'm like "come on, spit it out!  Blink!  Something!"

Really?  I honestly can't understand how that's possible (although Jammer apparently likes him, too).    I don't agree with the comparison to Tocchet (I liked him a lot more), but I will say that I prefer him to Clement.  I like Clement in the booth for color, but in the studio, while he is so much better spoken than Boosh, he has become so "Rah Rah" and company line guy that he (Clement) is hard to take.

For me, when he's not being dismissive of anything the studio host is throwing to him, he comes across so dial tone for me. I'm like "come on, spit it out!  Blink!  Something!"

Well, we agree that Clement is too much of a company guy. Besides that I think you're off your rocker.   :ph34r:

@ruxpin  I must say, Boooooouch is decent at his analyst gig.

The positives....he solid respectable insight into the games. He knows his stuff. I'd like to hear more comments on goalie-dman communication etc, stuff he would have first hand knowledge of, since he played the game. He needs to make the ex-player thing work to his advantage, a kind of insider thing....would give him an upper hand on the competition and make things more interesting.

The negatives....he is bland, boring and a BIG ZERO when it comes to charisma. The same damn monotone drawl that is hard to put up with. I do think a bit of this disappears as he gets more comfortable in front of the camera. He has more personality than he has shown to this point, I look forward to seeing a more relaxed, maybe even funnier version of Brian in the near future.

This leads me to the last comment....if he is in the studio, he's *not* in the Flyers nets, friggin tickled pink about that one!!!

The negatives....he is bland, boring and a BIG ZERO when it comes to charisma. The same damn monotone drawl that is hard to put up with

Thank you. I agree with your "positives" paragraph, but I can't even get to that because it gets lost in the above for me (WEST GERMAN B..M..W)

I do think a bit of this disappears as he gets more comfortable in front of the camera

That's what I'm hoping.

if he is in the studio, he's *not* in the Flyers nets, friggin tickled pink about that one!!!

Completely agree.

Besides that I think you're off your rocker.

Seriously, if you think he comes across as anything other than painfully bland, I have some paint you can watch dry.  You'll love it!

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Osgood works the studio between periods of the Wings games and fills in when Mickey Redmond does not travel with the team as a commentator. Absolutely dreadful, almost unwatchable, he has the personality of a snail and the only thing he does bring to the table is every now and then he points out a subtlety that otherwise would be missed but even then he is boring. They fired Larry Murphy mid-season a few years ago for reasons that still haven't been properly explained, Ozzie took his place and even two years later looks like a dear in headlights.

Archived