Avs @ Flyers - Another game, new line combos

brelic

The Philly Shuffle is in full swing, folks. Here are the line combinations for tonight's game.

Simmonds/Giroux/Voracek

Schenn/Couturier/Read

VandeVelde/LeCavalier/Umberger

Akeson/Bellemare/Rinaldo

If Coburn returns, look for Colaiacovo to be the healthy scratch. Not sure how Berube would arrange the defensive lines, but might be something like this:

Coburn/Schenn

Streit/Grossmann

Del Zotto/Schultz

The Avs (4-6-5) are off to a slow start and the general comment that I've heard from broadcasters and on-air personalities is that they are a slower team this year. I think Jackson even mentioned it during the Flyers' broadcast last game.

The Flyers (6-5-2) have some momentum going and for the first time this season, they have a positive goal differential (41gf, 40ga, +1).

Should be a fun tilt.

@brelic  I would love to throw caution to the wind....

1st paring....

Coburn/Coca Cola

2nd pairing

Streit/Grossmann

3rd pairing

Del Zotto/Schultz

I believe this group gives us the best chance to win.  99.9% chance it will not happen, Luke the Fluke will not be a healthy scratch. However, When you look at the opponent though, one could easily argue that having Grossmann (has been very respectable of late) AND Luke play against the speedy Ave's forwards is an accident waiting to happen. Visions of Duchene and McKinnon ripping our defense apart seem so real.....LOL!

this is where i have a problem with berube, he's always switching lines and not keep what's working because of his personal agenda, if he wants to talk accountabity, it's him that should be accountable, i wont be surprised if this team falls back to earth because of berube.

this is where i have a problem with berube, he's always switching lines and not keep what's working because of his personal agenda, if he wants to talk accountabity, it's him that should be accountable, i wont be surprised if this team falls back to earth because of berube.

It is hard to keep one set of lines when injuries remove a key player from one of the top lines, or the return of a player.  

Sometimes lines are adjusted in a means of best matchup against an opponent especially if the two top lines are matched well getting scoring from the third line can be a key advantage.

Sometimes lines are changed to evaluate a player teamed with different player skill sets.  

Sometimes lines are changed to invigorate a player or a line that is in a slump.

When you state his line changes aren't working I think that is a rather vague statement.  The Flyers are 6-3-1 in their last 10 games which isn't horrible by any means.  

And what do you mean by Berube having a "personal agenda"?

I'd scratch coca cola, and let him continue to get in to game shape, and help recover between games. He didn't have a training camp right? Why risk injury to a known glass house?

Never thought of it from that perspective, makes sense.

If Coburn returns, look for Colaiacovo to be the healthy scratch.

No way i'd bring him back tonight they are off 5 days after this game let him get the extra rest/practice then insert him.....they need this win first and they have been playing well no need to insert a rusty Dman onto the 1st pair no less it makes zero sense and they learned the hard way inserting VLC into the 2nd line center role...they lost. No way i dress him. That is just my 2 cents.

It is hard to keep one set of lines when injuries remove a key player from one of the top lines, or the return of a player.  

Sometimes lines are adjusted in a means of best matchup against an opponent especially if the two top lines are matched well getting scoring from the third line can be a key advantage.

Sometimes lines are changed to evaluate a player teamed with different player skill sets.  

Sometimes lines are changed to invigorate a player or a line that is in a slump.

When you state his line changes aren't working I think that is a rather vague statement.  The Flyers are 6-3-1 in their last 10 games which isn't horrible by any means.  

And what do you mean by Berube having a "personal agenda"?

that's my fault, i didnt address what i was talking about because i lose focus when i get irritated, when i was talking about was the defense, this team is playing well without coburn and mcdonald, what i fear is when they get back, it could affect this team in a negetive way, meaning them falling back to earth. i mean why change anything on defense if it's working without them? that's the problem i have with berube. there's always something he's going going to do to screw it up.

which is way i want a coach to stick with the roster lineups until something does go wrong.

No way i'd bring him back tonight they are off 5 days after this game let him get the extra rest/practice then insert him.....they need this win first and they have been playing well no need to insert a rusty Dman onto the 1st pair no less it makes zero sense and they learned the hard way inserting VLC into the 2nd line center role...they lost. No way i dress him. That is just my 2 cents.

I agree with what you're saying - but if Coburn says he's ready, I'm not sure Berube would actually tell him to sit.

which is way i want a coach to stick with the roster lineups until something does go wrong.

There are far worse strategies than "riding the hot hand". Back during the strike season, injuries necessitated playing 4 rookies on defense, we won 12 of 16 games with slight variations of those 4 rookies...we slowly started adding the high priced vets back in and we promptly started to lose. Let's hope recent history does not repeat itself.

that's my fault, i didnt address what i was talking about because i lose focus when i get irritated, when i was talking about was the defense, this team is playing well without coburn and mcdonald, what i fear is when they get back, it could affect this team in a negetive way, meaning them falling back to earth. i mean why change anything on defense if it's working without them? that's the problem i have with berube. there's always something he's going going to do to screw it up.

OK, but Coburn is ready to return from injury.  He is the teams #1 d-man (like it or not) at least from a longevity point of view.  

Doesn't he deserve his job back now that he is healthy to play?

OK, but Coburn is ready to return from injury.  He is the teams #1 d-man (like it or not) at least from a longevity point of view.  

Yes he deserves his job back when the timing is right.....but i just don't think that time is now.....why disrupt the chemistry for one guy they need to win this game he should understand and they'll be off for 5 days so he can get extra practices in instead of jumping back in on the #1 pair....just doesn't make sense Berube is obligated to winning games first.....the team is playing ok with him then after an extra week for the the new Dpairs to build some chemistry then insert him....if you want to disrupt the team and lose like they did with Vinny.....then dress him.

not if he cant handle first line minutes, i would put him in the third pairing first, then ease him up.

not if he cant handle first line minutes, i would put him in the third pairing first, then ease him up.

That is the plan it think however that would be playing with Luke and Luke plays the right side, so they will put Coby on the left side which he hasn't played in a long time......so stupid i guess they want to lose.

That is the plan it think however that would be playing with Luke and Luke plays the right side, so they will put Coby on the left side which he hasn't played in a long time......so stupid i guess they want to lose.

that or berube is just a dumb coach, if i was the coach i wouldnt rush these guys unless we are giving up goals, right now our goals against was better without them.

Berube told CSNphilly.com:

“For us, playing a fast team like Colorado he can really skate and defend,” Berube said. “That’s how I look at it. He can fly. He’s out there skating and it looks like he hasn’t been off.

“He has that ability to really move no matter what. He is always in great shape. He’s a freak that way.”

Coburn, 29, will replace Carlo Colaiacovo. If the team skate is any indication, he’ll pair up with Luke Schenn.

Berube told CSNphilly.com:

“For us, playing a fast team like Colorado he can really skate and defend,” Berube said. “That’s how I look at it. He can fly. He’s out there skating and it looks like he hasn’t been off.

“He has that ability to really move no matter what. He is always in great shape. He’s a freak that way.”

Coburn, 29, will replace Carlo Colaiacovo. If the team skate is any indication, he’ll pair up with Luke Schenn.

It makes sense because the other two pairings are working well.

I really don't know what the hell Roy was so pissed about in the penalty for the boarding call on Luke it was the right call.........so why is he so mad?? Anyone?

roy_rant.0.gif

not_over.0.gif

It was the right call even McKinnon said he didn't mean to do it. He even had supper the night before with the Schenn brothers so why get so heated over a legit right call????

I really don't know what the hell Roy was so pissed about in the penalty for the boarding call on Luke it was the right call.........so why is he so mad?? Anyone?

roy_rant.0.gif

not_over.0.gif

It was the right call even McKinnon said he didn't mean to do it. He even had supper the night before with the Schenn brothers so why get so heated over a legit right call????

These players are not dummies, everyone knows there are certain spots on the ice where you must avoid contact, even a mild shove can end a career from where McKinnon pulled that stunt. Intent or not, players have to be held accountable for contact in that very vulnerable position. The idea is to get through the playing years and not have jello for brains when you hang them up. There has to be more respect and or education on the do's and donts of contact within 2 yards from the boards.

Archived