Roussel hits Stalock, then punches ref tied up Braun in face

J0e Th0rnton

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly if Stalock doesn't swing that stick up like that it never happens. Looks to me like Roussel brings his arms up to protect his face from the stick than to strike at Stalock. He's just right on top if him at that point.

Stalock clearly embellished going down like he took a round to the head.

The rest is a big so what? Vlasic seemed game but The rest of the Sharks pretended to be upset. Braun half-heatedly engaged, Thornton threw a half-arsed elbow up... Not much to speak of.

I don't know how you get this idea from watching that,

Vlasic skated over like a bolt of lightning and I was convinced he was going to drop the gloves and start throwing. But then he gave 1 shove an immediately backed off.

Braun rushed over to engage and the ref immediately grabbed him and pinned his arms down. As he was helppless in the refs grip unable to get his hands up and head being held in one spot was when Roussel sucker punched him.

Thornton literally dragged his way over with a 200+ pound stars player holding him in a headlock to throw a punch, then another stars player turned it into a double headlock to hold him back.

In any case, Roussel got a small fine and a meeting with John Scott in their next game

I don't know how you get this idea from watching that,

Vlasic skated over like a bolt of lightning and I was convinced he was going to drop the gloves and start throwing. But then he gave 1 shove an immediately backed off.

Braun rushed over to engage and the ref immediately grabbed him and pinned his arms down. As he was helppless in the refs grip unable to get his hands up and head being held in one spot was when Roussel sucker punched him.

Thornton literally dragged his way over with a 200+ pound stars player holding him in a headlock to throw a punch, then another stars player turned it into a double headlock to hold him back.

In any case, Roussel got a small fine and a meeting with John Scott in their next game

Watch Braun after taking that punch... Nobody on him and he doesn't re-engage. Thornton's "punch" wasn't much.

I've seen and been in a lot of brawls my friend. If someone really wanted to throw down there were plenty of chances. If Thornton were truly determined, he'd have been throwing them at anyone who got in the way as well.

Honestly I think the fine is appropriate. I think Stalock got more or less what he asked for. And I think the Sharks folded like a house of cards in that mix. Maybe they just weren't ready for that confrontation, or maybe they figured to sort it later. Either way it wasn't much of a response.

But why? He is 4 feet outside of his crease and playing the puck. It was not a hit from behind and he was not in his "protected" area. It was a bang / bang play, but as a forward, I make that exact same play.

That was the first thing that came to my mind: bang - bang play on Stalock.

I'd be much more pissed at the punch at Braun while he is being held by the linesmen. That violates code and is not cool. Love Vlasic's effort to get at him 'cause that's what he deserved a beating for.

Watch Braun after taking that punch... Nobody on him and he doesn't re-engage. Thornton's "punch" wasn't much.

I've seen and been in a lot of brawls my friend. If someone really wanted to throw down there were plenty of chances. If Thornton were truly determined, he'd have been throwing them at anyone who got in the way as well.

Honestly I think the fine is appropriate. I think Stalock got more or less what he asked for. And I think the Sharks folded like a house of cards in that mix. Maybe they just weren't ready for that confrontation, or maybe they figured to sort it later. Either way it wasn't much of a response.

Braun after taking that punch, went down, completely dazed. As is expected when a ref basically holds you for free punches you are unable to defend.

Your nuts about Thornton. He had a stars player wrapped around his neck with a deathgrip and a gable grip.

And at this point, they are starting to think about what they are doing with the refs chirping at all of them, because they are getting suspended if they keep going to a real brawl in the last 2 minutes of a game.

In either case, Roussel has a date with John Scott next game.

Braun after taking that punch, went down, completely dazed. As is expected when a ref basically holds you for free punches you are unable to defend.

Your nuts about Thornton. He had a stars player wrapped around his neck with a deathgrip and a gable grip.

And at this point, they are starting to think about what they are doing with the refs chirping at all of them, because they are getting suspended if they keep going to a real brawl in the last 2 minutes of a game.

In either case, Roussel has a date with John Scott next game.

The hit on Braun wasn't enough to daze him that badly unless he's a glass jaw, but okay... We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Maybe the refs were threatening misconducts or something we can't hear, but I'd be disappointed in the response if I were you. To the punch on Braun... The Stalock thing is what he kind of asked for and then embellished.

The hit on Braun wasn't enough to daze him that badly unless he's a glass jaw, but okay... We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Maybe the refs were threatening misconducts or something we can't hear, but I'd be disappointed in the response if I were you. To the punch on Braun... The Stalock thing is what he kind of asked for and then embellished.

"Glass jaw"

"Been in lots of brawls"

Wow, I had no idea you yinzers were so tough!

Good grief.

"Glass jaw"

"Been in lots of brawls"

Wow, I had no idea you yinzers were so tough!

Good grief.

"Seen and been in"... Don't add more to it. That wasn't a devastating haymaker of a punch was my point. And my brawls comment is thanks to my job. We can't all herd sheep my friend. ;)

I just don't think that was much of a fight. Just a big scrum where one punch was thrown. And even that didnt look like much to me. I honestly think Braun fell more from his own efforts trying to avoid the punch than the punch itself.

"Seen and been in"... Don't add more to it. That wasn't a devastating haymaker of a punch was my point. And my brawls comment is thanks to my job. We can't all herd sheep my friend. ;)

I just don't think that was much of a fight. Just a big scrum where one punch was thrown. And even that didnt look like much to me. I honestly think Braun fell more from his own efforts trying to avoid the punch than the punch itself.

Humans are more difficult to herd than sheep, I'll give you that.

I'll have another look, but I think I disagree on the punch. I think he caught him good. Even if he didn't, do you condone that (punching while the ref is holding him)?

I'll have another look, but I think I disagree on the punch. I think he caught him good. Even if he didn't, do you condone that (punching while the ref is holding him)?

Only if its Steve Downie on jason Blake.

But rams can give you both a square and sucker punch when you are not looking:

http://Bam Bam, the Bighorn Sheep Attacks Toyota 4Runner : "RAMbunctious"

Thats a mean ram, how just the little ol' innocent sheep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoSwGVckUDY

I can't imagine what the indemnity is on your health and life insurance! phewwww.

If it was a dman playing the puck the same way, this would not even be a post / thread.

if it were a dman playing the puck the same way, he wouldn't have fallen down.

people need to get out there in a pair of goalie skates some day, just to see what is being worked with here.  if a goalie has his center of gravity over his skates, he is rock solid and nothing will knock him over.  if something happens and he ends up in front or behind his skates, though, he is going down.  there is no rocker to compensate, one second blade is on the ice, next second it totally isn't and the goalie ends up on his face or his back.

in this case, it was on his back, with his head hitting the ice as he fell.  form fit goalie helmets have very little padding, they are a hard shell designed to disperse point impacts across the surface.  broad blunt strikes (like from the ice) are basically not absorbed at all.  a yarmulke would have provided almost as much protection as that helmet (which is why i hate them and won't wear one).

that's why goalies aren't free game when they leave the crease.  they are extraordinarily well protected against pucks, and basically unprotected against anything else.  further, their mobility is based on controlled, precise movements, not compensating for 200lbs of player flying into them.

it was a weird play by the goalie, no doubt.  straight from the hasek school of doing weird things.  doesn't mean he should have taken contact in that spot.

@Podein25

No it's a cheap shot no doubt, just didnt see it as devastating.

@aziz

My son isn't the best skater and as goalie you're right, it's tougher. But I still don't think Roussel did enough damage to cause that kind of collapse. I think he embellished it and didnt intend to smack his head like he did.

But then again I thought Mason did the same thing two seasons ago and got lambasted for it... Lol.

But I still don't think Roussel did enough damage to cause that kind of collapse. I think he embellished it and didnt intend to smack his head like he did.

fwiw, if I'm out there trying to embellish that kind of contact, i spin with the hit and crumple.  makes for a more spectacular arms-flailing-about thing, but more importantly leaves me falling down onto my side under some kind of control.  if you see a goalie go straight back, skates over head, he didn't mean to do that.  his skates suddenly ceased to be beneath him and he has no control at all.  that is a pretty scary thing, really.

Uh, it was a right cross to the noggin. To a guy who was being held completely helpless unable to move his head to slip the punch. Not only that, but his head was up against the glass immobile. Literally a sitting duck. Shooting fish in a barrel.

Take it from a Thai boxer. If someone pins you up against the wall motionless unable to slip a punch, and your head has nowhere to snap back to during contact, the force is applied to a greater degree. Even a lesser punch does more damage in that scenario.

Uh, it was a right cross to the noggin. To a guy who was being held completely helpless unable to move his head to slip the punch. Not only that, but his head was up against the glass immobile. Literally a sitting duck. Shooting fish in a barrel.

Take it from a Thai boxer. If someone pins you up against the wall motionless unable to slip a punch, and your head has nowhere to snap back to during contact, the force is applied to a greater degree. Even a lesser punch does more damage in that scenario.

Agree to disagree.

Archived