Roussel hits Stalock, then punches ref tied up Braun in face

J0e Th0rnton

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't see the game, so not sure what context all this takes place in, but in watching the video clip, wow...

I always knew Antoine Roussel was a loose cannon (even worse than Zac Rinaldo sometimes  ;)  ), but this....man....say what you will about "what Stalock was doing", I think it's pretty clear in the rulebook you DO NOT flippin run goaltenders like that.

I've always been of the mindset that if the goalie is going to leave the crease, he should become a 'skater' and thus subject to the same contact as other skaters playing the puck, but until that is made RULE, you just CANNOT run goaltenders like that. Plain n simple.

Anotine Roussel is ALWAYS a bundle of energy for his team....I really do like the way he plays pedal to the metal, but still, his self control leaves much to be desired and this is just a prime example of that....he further compounded his rattery by taking a cheap shot at Braun too?

Fiddler, Roussel, and Garbutt make a VERY effective trio of agitators for the Dallas Stars, but, and I've said this in other threads/forums, unless they have self control, they will hurt the team more than help....Roussel clearly had NO self control here...

Can't say I blame San Jose for going ballistic like that.....couldn't tell from the video, but I don't believe Brent Burns was out there at the time. Seeing him from his time in Minnesota, Burns would have SURELY made an imprint on someone's face for the cheap shot shenanigans.....and I wouldn't be surprised if he is a player who seeks out Mr. Roussel next time these teams meet.

I wish some of the Minnesota Wild had gone just as ballistic last year when Nazim Kadri ran Niklaus Backstrom last season....allegedly, under orders from Coach Mike Yeo, the Wild were NOT to retaliate...which, incidentally, led to Kadri doing further damage by running Mikaels Granlund's head into the boards....  SMH....

Would someone beating Roussel to a pulp stop him from his style of play? Probably not.....but I guarantee you, he will be looking over his shoulder next time the Stars and Sharks meet. As well he should.

Gotta luv Vlassic there, I don't think I've ever seen him react like that.

Give him the "C"

hehe. You see it occasionally. He stays out of trouble most times, but is definitely not a shrinking violet.

The worst i have seen from him has to be right after Heatley was traded and he cross checked him and they exchanged slashes that lead to fines.

Stalock loves playing the puck. He is very good at it. He often sends guys on breaks with those plays.

But ill assume he did not think someone was going to nail him in the face during it

Looks like he could also break somebodys face with those plays. Pretty dangerous with that big paddle.

Okay first the Stalock thing.

Not a usual play, if he had continued the full swing of the stick it likely would have hit Roussel. Not justifying hitting Stalock but a weird play at the end of a game and not that much, overembellished by Stalock to sell it.

NOW.

Roussel went to the corner and stood there with his hands at his sides, like come and get me. Two Shark players responded and it got pretty nasty. Braun got one or two in before the ref started sperating bodies. Roussel then drilled him while the ref was holding him. If i were Braun i would have absolutely leveled Roussel at that point. Not sure why he didn't. If Roussel was swinging over the ref, IMHO i feel Braun would have been totally justified in doing so as well.

Loved it. As a Wings fan, this is a part of the game I miss. I would love to have crap like this to break out every now and then. Looks like a good rivalry brewing, going forward.

WTF was your goalie thinking there?

Agree 100%. I am all for protecting the goalie- within reason. But not only did Stalock leave the crease by 4 feet (not even behind the net), he made a completely idiotic play. I have and always am an advocate that if the goalie wants to go play the puck, he is fair game. Christ, he (goalie) has 10x the protection as any other player on the ice.

Stalock loves playing the puck. He is very good at it. He often sends guys on breaks with those plays.

Great. Hextall and Brodeur made a living off that kind of stuff, but that play was idiotic. Just saying.

say what you will about "what Stalock was doing", I think it's pretty clear in the rulebook you DO NOT flippin run goaltenders like that.

I think that is bull crap of a rule- especially when the goalie is 4-5 feet outside of his crease AND not even behind the net. I would do it in a heart beat. If the goalie wants to play like a skater and has the puck, all bets are off. I am for protecting the goalie while he is in his crease / protected area, but if he wants to venture outside of that, all bets are off.

Okay first the Stalock thing.

Not a usual play, if he had continued the full swing of the stick it likely would have hit Roussel. Not justifying hitting Stalock but a weird play at the end of a game and not that much, overembellished by Stalock to sell it.

NOW.

Roussel went to the corner and stood there with his hands at his sides, like come and get me. Two Shark players responded and it got pretty nasty. Braun got one or two in before the ref started sperating bodies. Roussel then drilled him while the ref was holding him. If i were Braun i would have absolutely leveled Roussel at that point. Not sure why he didn't. If Roussel was swinging over the ref, IMHO i feel Braun would have been totally justified in doing so as well.

Loved it. As a Wings fan, this is a part of the game I miss. I would love to have crap like this to break out every now and then. Looks like a good rivalry brewing, going forward.

GlassPleasantIrishredandwhitesetter.gif

Tell me. How did Stalock sell this or overembelish other than staying down a bit long? Roussel brought his hands up high and smashed him in the mask, fist to the head, when he did not see it coming. His head whiplashed and then hit the ice. Even with a helmet and pads, you feel when a 200+ pound man runs you in the face and then fall and it the ice

I think that is bull crap of a rule- especially when the goalie is 4-5 feet outside of his crease AND not even behind the net. I would do it in a heart beat. If the goalie wants to play like a skater and has the puck, all bets are off. I am for protecting the goalie while he is in his crease / protected area, but if he wants to venture outside of that, all bets are off.

ill agree to allowing body checking of a goalie outside the crease.

However, bringing your fist and forearm up to his face, even with a mask, and getting a running start to boot is off limits even to other skaters.

ill agree to allowing body checking of a goalie outside the crease.

However, bringing your fist and forearm up to his face, even with a mask, and getting a running start to boot is off limits even to other skaters.

2 minutes for rouging. I had to look at 5 it  times to see if there was a fore-arm shiver. I just don't see it. What I mean by this is it looked like a hockey play to me with no intention of "oh, here is the goalie, I am going to try and hurt him". If it was a dman playing the puck the same way, this would not even be a post / thread.

Great. Hextall and Brodeur made a living off that kind of stuff, but that play was idiotic. Just saying.

I don't think it was, but that's my opinion. lol

The Sharks had just scored 3 unanswered goals to come back from a 3-1 deficit and the play was all firmly in the Sharks control, keeping the tempo of the game up and not giving the Stars a second to organize or have a faceoff and timeout in our zone. It only went over the glass because he got smashed mid swing.

I know the play looks weird, but I see Stalock do it several times a game when he wants to keep the flow of the game going fast at the right times and so far, it has worked well. I saw one game, vs NYR, where it backfired, but otherwise, it has paid off.

But ill assume he did not think someone was going to nail him in the face during it

It was pretty the lick to Stalock....it wasn't hard looked like a dive for a call....but the delay of game he committed was just dumb. The cheap shot to Braun was uncalled for and cheap too.

2 minutes for rouging. I had to look at 5 it  times to see if there was a fore-arm shiver. I just don't see it. What I mean by this is it looked like a hockey play to me with no intention of "oh, here is the goalie, I am going to try and hurt him". If it was a dman playing the puck the same way, this would not even be a post / thread.

Exactly. But if you looked at it 5 times you see he definitely got his arm up in his face. Principal point of contact at full speed.

I will have to look at it some more. Is that a reactionary move to an ensuing collision or an intention to hurt?

It was pretty the lick to Stalock....it wasn't hard looked like a dive for a call....but the delay of game he committed was just dumb. The cheap shot to Braun was uncalled for and cheap too.

If he had not been hit during his swing , the puck does not go over the glass. he does it all the time.

I am pretty certain that Roussel is French for Douchebag. You will never get him to drop the gloves unless you are Danny Briere or someone smaller( if there is anyone). He is cut from the same cloth as Kasparitus/Claude Lemeiux in the only way he ever drops the mitts is if someone is holding his opponent from punching him. He makes Crosby's ball punching look manly by comparison......... :ph34r:

If he had not been hit during his swing , the puck does not go over the glass. he does it all the time.

If he wants to play like a 3rd d-man, he is fair game. As a forward, I make the exact same play. I hate the way the league protects the goalie. They have their "safety" area. If they want to get involved in the play outside of that area, they are fare game (no different than any other skater on the ice).

If he wants to play like a 3rd d-man, he is fair game. As a forward, I make the exact same play. I hate the way the league protects the goalie. They have their "safety" area. If they want to get involved in the play outside of that area, they are fare game (no different than any other skater on the ice).

I agree the goalie SHOULD be fair game when he leaves the crease but that is not the rule. Not sure what penalties were handed out but in todays game that is still goalie interference. I will cheer for anyone who can get Doucheboy to drop the gloves but I don't think you will ever get to see that....

Archived