Varlamov - hurt again...

Zz_

Once again in less than 20 games for the Colorado Avalanche, goaltender Semyon Varlamov is injured. The first time Varly sustained a lower body injury during morning practice before the Avalanche took on the Ottawa Senators. In that game, less than three minutes in, backup goalie Reto Berra, would sustain a head injury after a collision with two players. This left young rookie, Calvin Pickard, scrambling for his first career NHL action after a four hour airport trip, flight and trip to the Senators arena. Varlamov would stay on a seven day injured reserve and after missing just one game, Reto Berra would return, while Pickard played back up.

Today, Semyon Varlmov has been listed day-to-day with a groin injury. The injury occurred near the end of the New Jersey Devils game and is the same injury from earlier in the season, according to Coach Patrick Roy. Injuries plagued the young goaltender early in his NHL career and is one major reason the Washington Capitals were willing to part ways. The 2013-14 season was Varly’s best in nearly every aspect, including staying healthy. While the Avalanche are playing so poorly to start the season, Semyon’s inconsistent health seems to be an issue once again and possibly a contributor to the team’s lack of confidence.   

While the Avalanche do not play again until Thursday, November 20th, the team has called up Calvin Pickard from Lake Erie. In nearly 2 full NHL games, Pickard suffers a 3.65 goals against average with a soft .889 save percentage. While one game Pickard was tossed into chaos, Calvin bounced back against a very tough Montreal Canadians team, stopping 33 of 36 shots in his first career start. In 10 games this season with Lake Erie, Pick’s is 3-4-3 sporting a 2.76 goals against and .917 goals against.

Reto Berra will get the start in Washington on Thursday and Pickard will back him up. The only way Pickard will see action is if Varlamov ends up out for an extended amount of time, Berra becomes injured also, or of course if Berra is pulled in game by Coach Roy. Avalanche fans sure do, at this point of the season with Colorado on its first winning streak and confidence building, hope that their starting goaltender is healthy enough to play at worst case Saturday, November 22nd against the struggling Hurricanes. However, it does not seem likely that Varlamov will be starting for more than just the next game. If the injury is more severe and Semyon misses far more (or re-injures) himself again, Colorado's playoff hopes could easily and quickly vanish. For precautionary reasons though, Patrick Roy will not play Semyon Varlamov until he is 100% certain the goalie is 100% healthy. "Every day he's going to be evaluated and we're going to be very cautious," coach Patrick Roy said after practice Tuesday.

Ryan Wilson will also have season-ending shoulder surgery on Wednesday (11/19/14). Wilson left the Avalanche game against the Florida Panthers on October 21st. Wilson will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1st and is not expected to be re-signed by the Avalanche.

UPDATE:

SEMYON VARLAMOV IS HURT AGAIN - GROIN INJURY WILL SIT THE AVS GOALIE FOR A MINIMUM OF 2 WEEKS

Calvin Pickard has been recalled again, making a statement in a 3-0 loss to Nashville, Pickard allowed only one goal on 34 shots, two goals were empty net goals.

Pickard is expect to start again in Winnipeg on Thursday, December 11th. With a 3-5-0 record Pickard leads all Avs goalies with a .929 save percentage and 2.30 goals against average.

Pickard was 0-2-0 in his first two career starts, since then he is 3-3-0 and has established a 1.82 goals against and a .943 save percentage in those six games. 

Colorado management might be kicking themselves not only for trading a 2nd round pick to obtain Reto Berra, but for signing the almost 28 year old to a 3 year deal. Calvin Pickard will continue to be the starter for the Colorado Avalanche while Varlamov is out, unless injury or poor play by the rookie become and issue. Reto Berra has not started a game since being pulled from the game on November 25th against the Arizona Coyotes in the first period. Berra was call upon on Friday, December 4th against the Winnipeg Jets when Varlamov was pulled in the 3rd period. Reto only saw 7 shots and allowed a goal, proving to Patrick Roy that he is unable to still find his confidence to stop pucks at the NHL level.  

post-1425-0-83512100-1416336010_thumb.jp

Once again in less than 20 games for the Colorado Avalanche, goaltender Semyon Varlamov is injured. The first time Varly sustained a lower body injury during morning practice before the Avalanche took on the Ottawa Senators. In that game, less than three minutes in, backup goalie Reto Berra, would sustain a head injury after a collision with two players. This left young rookie, Calvin Pickard, scrambling for his first career NHL action after a four hour airport trip, flight and trip to the Senators arena. Varlamov would stay on a seven day injured reserve and after missing just one game, Reto Berra would return, while Pickard played back up.

Today, Semyon Varlmov has been listed day-to-day with a groin injury. Injuries plagued the young goaltender early in his NHL career and is one major reason the Washington Capitals were willing to part ways. The 2013-14 season was Varly’s best in nearly every aspect, including staying healthy. While the Avalanche are playing so poorly to start the season, Semyon’s inconsistent health seems to be an issue once again and possibly a contributor to the team’s lack of confidence.   

While the Avalanche do not play again until Thursday, November 20th, the team has called up Calvin Pickard from Lake Erie. In nearly 2 full NHL games, Pickard suffers a 3.65 goals against average with a soft .889 save percentage. While one game Pickard was tossed into chaos, Calvin bounced back against a very tough Montreal Canadians team, stopping 33 of 36 shots in his first career start. In 10 games this season with Lake Erie, Pick’s is 3-4-3 sporting a 2.76 goals against and .917 goals against.

It is pretty certain that Reto Berra will start in Washington, if Varlamov cannot, and Pickard will play backup. The only way Pickard will see action is if Varlamov ends up out for an extended amount of time, Berra becomes injured also, or of course if Berra is pulled in game by Coach Roy. Avalanche fans sure do, at this point of the season with Colorado on its first winning streak and confidence building, hope that their starting goaltender is healthy enough to play at worst case Saturday, November 22nd against the struggling Hurricanes. If not, this could be the end of the Avalanche playoff hopes, while they would want to fight to prove their last season wasn’t just a fluke.

I personally would expect Reto Berra to be the start against Washington regardless of Varlamov’s current status today,  Coach Roy is not much of a gambler when it comes to the health of his goalies. 

Well, someone may go after the Wild's goalie on waivers after all!

Well, someone may go after the Wild's goalie on waivers after all!

Yeah, but Roy has already said, "We have to give our young guys a chance." When Varly was hurt the first time and rumors went around about Avs picking up Tomas Vokoun. Won't happen, Avs would rather end up last in the NHL with Pickard and Aittokallio than barely make the playoffs adding a third goalie to the roster than cannot be sent down without waivers. Just seems to be how Roy works.

@

The Aves are sitting 5 points out of a playoff spot with at least 60 games left to play it is much too early to hold up the white flag.  Harding cleared waivers and was sent to Iowa.  Brodeur and Bryzgalov are still available as a free agents if Varlemov's injury needs more than a week or two of rest. 

@hf101

Certainly not, no need to throw in the towel. However, lose your starting goalie, keep a non-proven starter and a rookie back up. I mean it could work, but not often does it. I think there is a chance the Avs could just fly and get back to where they were and there is a chance they could lose the next 2-3-4 games a lose any hope/confidence they started to build and snowball. Many things could happen at this particular point of the season for Colorado. 

Is that Roy or Sakic??

When it comes to roster it is purely Patrick Roy when it comes to Lake Erie/Colorado. When it comes picking up players, such as the goalie, it is overall Joe Sakic, however Patrick Roy has final say if it is not what he wants, until the situation is becoming consistently poor. Several interviews have shown when it comes to specific situations, such as the goalies, Sakic gives Patrick the upper hand in what he thinks and how he feels. 

The two have a very unique relationship being Executive Vice Presidents, it makes the additions of players a yes or no. If Roy says, Joe I believe in Pickard and Aittokallio, lets give them a shot first. Joe agrees to allow Roy to go his route. However, I do believe if Varlamov becomes consistently injured this season, Sakic will say enough if we continue to lose. If we stay above the loss ratio, even going 2-1, Sakic will not intervene. 

This is morally a personal opinion due to recent and past interviews I have seen between the two about their Coach/GM/EVP roles. I am sure there is more information on it that I have not come across, however I am also not saying I am 100%. Though I am extremely confident this is the situation, Adrian Dater of the Denver Post is a source I could reach out to upon his return, I could also speak with Rick Sadowski, an Avalanche outlet/blogger, and get his view point to validate. 

• 3 weeks later...

Varlamov hurt = big, big problems for the Avalanche.

I know that is stating the obvious, but let's face it....even when Colorado won their division last season, it wasn't because their defense was airtight....

They scored goals at a pretty good clip and they had Varlamov covering MANY of the Avs miscues on defense.

Fortune has not smiled on Colorado this season and if they had any shot...ANY at all at getting back into the Central race, it had to start with Semyon Varlamov, and well, now that isn't happening.

Unless some other goaltender steps up big time for the Avs, or they suddenly start playing Stanley Cup caliber defense or scoring goals at an insane rate, their chances at the post season and defending their divisional title are Slim and None......and Slim may be on a diet....

No doubt it will spark a bunch of stat know-it-alls to say "I told you so" if Colorado does miss the post season, as they were widely believed by the cool and hip mathematical crowd to seriously regress and NOT win as many games (or come close) as they did last season.

While I can buy regression, fact of the matter is, this team simply has not clicked as a group all season, they are now missing Stastny who signed with the Blues, and Varlamov has not been the same guy as he was last season.....obviously, he can't be, if he isn't in the lineup at varying points in the season, along with some other guys who have missed time as well.

One doesn't need a degree in mathematics, Corsi, Fenwick, candlewick, or anything else to see that ANY team would struggle given the same conditions the Avs have faced this season.

Very embarrassing considering Varly was one of my keepers, but last week I cut ties with him. The constant flow of injuries combined with his below average stats were to much to handle. He singlehanedly destroyed 5 weeks of goaltending stats for me. It was just to much to handle. I knew he would get snapped up quickly, but at least now, he's someone else's problem. It leaves me very thin on the goalie side of the equation, Bob and the young rising star Hutchinson on the Jets.

Very embarrassing considering Varly was one of my keepers, but last week I cut ties with him. The constant flow of injuries combined with his below average stats were to much to handle. He singlehanedly destroyed 5 weeks of goaltending stats for me. It was just to much to handle. I knew he would get snapped up quickly, but at least now, he's someone else's problem. It leaves me very thin on the goalie side of the equation, Bob and the young rising star Barrie Colt Hutchinson on the Jets.

Fixed it.

Very embarrassing considering Varly was one of my keepers, but last week I cut ties with him. The constant flow of injuries combined with his below average stats were to much to handle. He singlehanedly destroyed 5 weeks of goaltending stats for me. It was just to much to handle. I knew he would get snapped up quickly, but at least now, he's someone else's problem. It leaves me very thin on the goalie side of the equation, Bob and the young rising star Hutchinson on the Jets.

Hutchinson is a good pickup. Are you in league 2?

Scott Darling is a good bet while Crawford is injured too. I even picked up Brodeur as a 4th goalie on reserve lol. He looked sharp in the games I saw. Motivated. It is exactly his kind of team.

I kind of scooped up a lot of good goalies.

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo....appears Varly will be healthy after the Christmas break, in fact....coming off an impressive shutout to boot. I still think Pickard chips away at his starts. I'm starting to think Pickard is the long term answer for the Ave's.

Sooo....appears Varly will be healthy after the Christmas break, in fact....coming off an impressive shutout to boot. I still think Pickard chips away at his starts. I'm starting to think Pickard is the long term answer for the Ave's.

I have watched Pickard quite a bit over the past several years playing for Lake Erie. Frankly, I don't think he is much of a player, kind of this years version of Stalock, a career minor leaguer who gets a chance and surprises. I am not jumping on the wagon or drinking the Koolaid, my bet is within two years he will be permanently back in the minors and never heard from again. Save the post and lets make a bet, remind me in two years and lets see who is right.

Archived