Penguins General Discussion

And1

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I'm not too optimistic about that series.

The pundits aren't either. Looks like the Pens can reasonably go into it seeing themselves as underdogs. That should help. What was the season series?

The pundits aren't either. Looks like the Pens can reasonably go into it seeing themselves as underdogs. That should help. What was the season series?

Pens won just one game. NYI - three games, one of them in SO. 3-6 in points.

But then again - we can end up playing the Rangers. Those mofos managed to overtake the Isles as the latter were having the season of their decade or whatever. What a surge.

Do not want! The Rangers would just kill us at the moment. Either way I'm a huge pessimist about the playoff chances.

The scary thing is they're playing good defense overall, just can't score! What team is this again??

Maybe this is a team built for the playoffs after all? We can hope.

@B21

You still have to score though.  That killed them in both of the past two post-seasons.  They had good defense and excellent goaltending....  just couldn't beat the opposing team's netminders! 

If Malkin and Letang are 100% healthy come playoff time I wouldn't worry about the scoring. 

The defense is improved. The PK (also critical in the playoffs) is 2nd in the league. Fleury seemed to have put his post-season issues behind him last year (with a D not nearly as good as this one).

I'm cautiously optimistic....though I would not want the Rangers or Lightning in Round 1.  ;)

If Malkin and Letang are 100% healthy come playoff time I wouldn't worry about the scoring. 

The defense is improved. The PK (also critical in the playoffs) is 2nd in the league. Fleury seemed to have put his post-season issues behind him last year (with a D not nearly as good as this one).

I'm cautiously optimistic....though I would not want the Rangers or Lightning in Round 1.  ;)

All valid points..  but I suppose the concern is both those guys are in concussion discussion.  Letang is known, Malkin is rumor.  But the simple fact is even when they weren't hurt we weren't scoring goals at the usual pace.  I know the Pens are a streaky team, and a slump right before the playoffs isn't a bad thing as long as they rebound with a game or two left...  actually I think it's a good thing.  But I'm excited for the playoffs...  and I have faith they'll recover.  

All valid points..  but I suppose the concern is both those guys are in concussion discussion.  Letang is known, Malkin is rumor.  But the simple fact is even when they weren't hurt we weren't scoring goals at the usual pace.  I know the Pens are a streaky team, and a slump right before the playoffs isn't a bad thing as long as they rebound with a game or two left...  actually I think it's a good thing.  But I'm excited for the playoffs...  and I have faith they'll recover.  

Agree.  Letang is very iffy but Malkin should be good to go.  He had a full practice (yesterday?) and by all accounts, went hard. 

Letang is key though.

Agree.  Letang is very iffy but Malkin should be good to go.  He had a full practice (yesterday?) and by all accounts, went hard. 

Letang is key though.

It's always amazed me that their record without Letang is worse than their record without Crosby or Malkin.  Just shows how important a finesse skating, puck moving defenseman can be.  I know there are some haters that like to say his defense is soft because he's not super physical, but those same critics aren't watching his skating and how well he plays positionally.  How quickly he gets back and can chase back when he or his partner get burned.  The guy really is a special player.  

It's always amazed me that their record without Letang is worse than their record without Crosby or Malkin.  Just shows how important a finesse skating, puck moving defenseman can be.  I know there are some haters that like to say his defense is soft because he's not super physical, but those same critics aren't watching his skating and how well he plays positionally.  How quickly he gets back and can chase back when he or his partner get burned.  The guy really is a special player.  

I have no idea who you are talking about.  ;)

If nothing else, he makes the PP click. Their philosophy is defense though offense (via puck possession). The other team can't score if they don't have the puck.  He's fits that thought process to a T.  Will it work in the playoffs?  Time will tell.

I have no idea who you are talking about.  ;)

If nothing else, he makes the PP click. Their philosophy is defense though offense (via puck possession). The other team can't score if they don't have the puck.  He's fits that thought process to a T.  Will it work in the playoffs?  Time will tell.

its worked in the past ;)  but he has to get healthy to matter.  Otherwise we have Martin as our #1 d-man.  

With the possibility of the Pens missing the playoffs looking somewhat realistic, that raises the question of the draft. Pittsburgh traded their 1st to Edmonton for David Perron. As far as I've seen, that pick is not lottery protected. So if the Pens do miss the playoffs, the Oilers get another lottery pick?

With the possibility of the Pens missing the playoffs looking somewhat realistic, that raises the question of the draft. Pittsburgh traded their 1st to Edmonton for David Perron. As far as I've seen, that pick is not lottery protected. So if the Pens do miss the playoffs, the Oilers get another lottery pick?

So what's the question? Do the Pens "win" the lottery IF they traded their pick away?

So what's the question? Do the Pens "win" the lottery IF they traded their pick away?

That's basically the question and I guess the answer is "no". Edmonton owns that pick. So they will get an extra ball or whatever.

If they miss the playoffs, and the way they're playing they probably deserve to, I think the worst they can land is 9th place. That leaves them a 1% chance of winning the lottery.

I'd laugh too if it went to our pick and Edmonton got McDavid. He'd be out of our conference so if he does attain superstar status we still win! Lol

If they miss the playoffs, and the way they're playing they probably deserve to, I think the worst they can land is 9th place. That leaves them a 1% chance of winning the lottery.

I'd laugh too if it went to our pick and Edmonton got McDavid. He'd be out of our conference so if he does attain superstar status we still win! Lol

I think most Pens fans would laugh....crazy-man-in-straight-jacket.jpg

Next opponent is Ottawa. This is dangerous for the Pens. If the Sens win against the Leafs tonight, they're one point behind us. IF Boston wins their game, and the Pens suck as bad as they have been and lose to the Sens... We'll be in 9th place with two games left. THAT means we'll need someone else to lose and us win out to make the playoffs.

Talk about a fall from grace...

Archived