Could McDavid or Eichel Save The Oilers?

JagerMeister

If the 'air' in the locker room is as toxic as I am told it is, and if management really is a bumbling traveling show, then no, McDavid or Eichel won't do much to help things along.

You can't say "it will help attendance"...because Edmonton fans are pretty rabid anyways. They actually SHOW UP to their team's games....Lord bless their souls....

You can't say "it will raise the level of team play"....well, damned, so what was the team doing all this time with top notch players like Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov, etc, etc??

They got decent role playing guys in there, still the level of play is the same.....it's all going to come down to the atmosphere in the locker room, how the team is run, and just the general attitude of playing like winners with the Oilers.

If a team can do that, then having a top pick like the two players mentioned isn't necessary in light of the fact that the team ALREADY should have enough to compete!

Say either McDavid or Eichel end up in Edmonton....how long before the bad working place starts to wear thin on those players...or even...gasp...stunt their professional development to the point where they BUY INTO THE NEGATIVITY!?

Is management all of a sudden going to become 'hockey smart' and take their jobs seriously just because they now have McDavid or Eichel? Fat chance of that.

Revamp that front office, revamp the coaching, get someone who knows SOMETHING about defense and goaltending at the NHL level, and THEN perhaps, a McDavid or Eichel can truly shine and raise a franchise like Edmonton to where they should be by now...and keep them that way.

If the 'air' in the locker room is as toxic as I am told it is, and if management really is a bumbling traveling show, then no, McDavid or Eichel won't do much to help things along.

You can't say "it will help attendance"...because Edmonton fans are pretty rabid anyways. They actually SHOW UP to their team's games....Lord bless their souls....

You can't say "it will raise the level of team play"....well, damned, so what was the team doing all this time with top notch players like Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov, etc, etc??

They got decent role playing guys in there, still the level of play is the same.....it's all going to come down to the atmosphere in the locker room, how the team is run, and just the general attitude of playing like winners with the Oilers.

If a team can do that, then having a top pick like the two players mentioned isn't necessary in light of the fact that the team ALREADY should have enough to compete!

Say either McDavid or Eichel end up in Edmonton....how long before the bad working place starts to wear thin on those players...or even...gasp...stunt their professional development to the point where they BUY INTO THE NEGATIVITY!?

Is management all of a sudden going to become 'hockey smart' and take their jobs seriously just because they now have McDavid or Eichel? Fat chance of that.

Revamp that front office, revamp the coaching, get someone who knows SOMETHING about defense and goaltending at the NHL level, and THEN perhaps, a McDavid or Eichel can truly shine and raise a franchise like Edmonton to where they should be by now...and keep them that way.

but, Mcdavid isnt just your usual number 1 draft pick, apparently to some he is suppose to be the next crosby. I cant say much since i havent watched him play at all.

but, Mcdavid isnt just your usual number 1 draft pick, apparently to some he is suppose to be the next crosby. I cant say much since i havent watched him play at all.

Which would be even MORE of a travesty if the kind of business being run in Edmonton has the effect of actually DILUTING such a generational talent!

Seriously....if the Oilers end up with either one of the projected top picks and somehow ruin them, then any and all who currently work for the Oilers should never, EVER be employed by any self respecting organization again!

At the time Crosby and Malkin showed up in Pittsburgh, yes, the Pens were pretty bad, but it was more due to the shortage of actual overall talent the club had at the time.

The management there was still hockey literate and they were smart enough to get players that complimented their newfound generational prospects and ensure that NONE of either Crosby's or Malkin's developmental or prime years were wasted as perenniel cellar dwellers.

Not so sure one can say that about Edmonton's current brass.

• 1 month later...
Not until Kevin Lowe and everyone on down is fired. including the training staff,

They need to clean house. Management, player development, training staff. EVERYONE.

The Oilers could ruin McDavid or Eichel.

Not until Kevin Lowe and everyone on down is fired. including the training staff,

They need to clean house. Management, player development, training staff. EVERYONE.

The Oilers could ruin McDavid or Eichel.

I agree the problem is not just the coach the ownership may even be part of the problem!

Archived