Outdoor Game

ruxpin

I've never been (though I would love to, if only for the novelty of it), but I would also imagine the view probably isn't as good as a more intimate indoor arena.

Just a guess, I am thinking the overall views are probably better from the upper levels of the stadium...albeit, the action shrunk down.

For me, that would probably suck either way, because my eyesight isn't the greatest.

Still though, like I said, for the novelty of it, I would probably brave the cold and would like to sit at one.

If Minnesota gets their rumored game, I just may get my chance.  :)

I was at the Flyers / Rangers game and had seats in the 400 level of Citizens Bank Park.  The view was a bit distanced, much further away than our seats at the Wells Fargo Center.  The day was cold but the experience was great as Ron Hextall and his wife sat right behind us for the start of the game.  

I'd definitely go again, but I'd wait to buy tickets rather than get them right away as we overpaid for our seats.   The last photo is about the true look of the ice from our seats.

Here a a couple of pics.

post-2-0-31040300-1420141702_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-11606500-1420142066_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-37798400-1420142090_thumb.jpg

Hmm...and I should wait on buying tickets to get a better deal?

Unless you can get tickets before they go on stub hub, I'd say wait.  Tickets were selling less than half of what we paid for them three weeks before the game.   If the Wild did a North Star tribute I'd have to consider flying to Minny to see that.

Unless you can get tickets before they go on stub hub, I'd say wait.  Tickets were selling less than half of what we paid for them three weeks before the game.   If the Wild did a North Star tribute I'd have to consider flying to Minny to see that.

I see...

Or I can do the radio call in show route...haha..for some reason, over the last two seasons, I have been quite lucky calling into radio stations and being the right caller number and winning tickets to various Wild games.

Hubby keeps telling me I should go play the lottery or something cuz I am so lucky that way...though I don't believe in lotteries.....

Interestingly enough, the last Wild game I was at against the Jets, I won some free powerball tickets I have yet to use...have until the end of the month to use them I think...

Has anyone here ever been to one of these outdoor games in person? What are the sight lines like? I'm watching today's game and thinking they'd be horrible.

So just wondering.

Last years game with the Wings at the big house, the thought of watching Hockey in the nosebleeds with 110,000 people seemed absurd. The wife talked about it and hinted at it for awhile but like you I think it wouldn't translate to the venue, and I get impatient leaving a regular game fighting 20 thousand people. I went to a Buckeye game at the shoe ten years ago with 100K people there, never, ever again. I just hate people too much to make it worth my while.

Last years game with the Wings at the big house, the thought of watching Hockey in the nosebleeds with 110,000 people seemed absurd. The wife talked about it and hinted at it for awhile but like you I think it wouldn't translate to the venue, and I get impatient leaving a regular game fighting 20 thousand people. I went to a Buckeye game at the shoe ten years ago with 100K people there, never, ever again. I just hate people too much to make it worth my while.

If this board formed a beer league team it would be called The Misanthropes.

I really wasn't trying to criticize the event or anyone who enjoys it. I just was seeing how far away the stands are and some of the camera shots from the stands and started thinking "man, for what they're charging for this, it's really a horrible venue.

i went to the toronto detroit game last year, somewhat enjoyed the game (seats were not that great) but the experience was pretty cool. I would have enjoyed watching the game from home a lot more but at least it was an experience i can say i had. This is the 1st year i did not watch the winter classic at all....chicago is my favorite western team but i agree with jammer2 i just cant watch the capitols 

I watched the first period.  Seriously, in person would be cool for the show/experience of it.  The game itself, I think, would be difficult to watch.  Not only would the view be poor, but the other thing I enjoy at the rink is the sound of the skates, the smell, etc.  All that--I think--would be absent in the huge stadium. 

But on TV, aside from the shadows and the occasional glare that makes seeing the action impossible, it's really just another game unless it's snowing or raining or something.  And, like @jammer2 and @Evilmonkey I really can't enjoy a Capitals game.  As much as I enjoy watching Chicago, it just didn't keep my interest.   

@ruxpin

The before game ceremonies / festivities are all a part of the experience.  There is also more planned music, former player ceremonies, etc between periods.  Even being up in the 400 level one could still here the sounds on the ice.  The Airforce Fly By was awesome especially being at the upper level.  

post-2-0-76182500-1420209574_thumb.jpg

I guess the game has a chance of being boring as any game especially if there is a lopsided score, but I think for the most part the Winter Classics have been good games.  

As far as the Caps / Hawks game I really didn't have much interest and I watched some of the first,and didn't check back in the 3rd to a 2-2 tie and watched until the end.  I thought over all as it was a crisp but nice day it had to be enjoyable for Caps fans attending the game.

Archived