How we get McDavid

icehole

Is it really that far fetched?  Edmonton, Carolina, Arizona, Buffalo, and Jersey are closer to the bottom than the Flyers.  The Flyers have proven that Carolina, Arizona, and Jersey can play better than them.  Edmonton is a young promising bunch that could always turn it around and Buffalo has its moments.  If the Flyers get into the bottom three, they have a chance at the lottery.  If they get the second pick, I think they could package a couple players and their #2 pick to move up.  If they can't, they still have Eichel (although I'm not that high on Eichel).

Right now we are at the #5 pick.  What would it take to move up to 1 and would you do it?  I would package Couturier, Schenn, Ghost, and this and next years first rounder.  Too much?  This is assuming he is a lock to be a Crosby type impact player.

I think trading to get MacDavid is probably out of the Flyers' price range if they fall anywhere lower than 3, but we can take a look at it. And we're making a big assumption, assuming that the team at 1 is going to be willing to part with that pick for ANYTHING.

First, you need to look at what you have and where it all fits. Right now your centers are Giroux, Laughton, Couturier, VLC. If you assume VLC moves this season or is bought out, your top 3 remain unchanged. If MacDavid is what the hype says, he's a 1-2 center. That allows you to move Laughton or Couturier in a deal, placing the other in the 3 slot. Or maybe Laughton can slot in at LW and Schenn is expendable. So, if you are guaranteeing yourself MacDavid, you can pretty safely package one of B. Schenn, Couturier, or Laughton.

Now, if I'm thinking MacDavid and the Flyers, I'm looking to 2016-2017 for things to start to come together, not next season. So I can look to a prospect like Lindblom or Leier making the team as at least a 3rd line LWer who can score. While I like Read and think (hope?) he's just having a down year, he wasn't a youngster when he was a rookie, and he'll be 30 when the 2016 season starts. He's not irreplaceable as a player, and he's not a glue vet IMO, so he can be packaged as well. If the prospect fails, a 3rd line LWer isn't a tall order in FA.

Prospect-wise, you have Hagg, Morin, Sanheim, Gostisbehere, Cousins, Leier, Lindblom. I don't think Cousins or Leier will be that highly sought after. Hagg might be the most NHL-ready at the end of the season, though he also seems to have the lowest ceiling of the D prospects. He'd be the guy I'm most willing to move of the D, and I would also part with any of the forwards.

Given that, you could put together a package of Schenn, Laughton, or Couturier; Read; Hagg; and a first for the pick. If it's Edmonton, and they're still enamored of Coburn, maybe you can use him to keep someone else. A lot is going to depend on the partner, and where the Flyers fall in the first round. Heck, they could win the lottery themselves. Right now they sit at #6 - the only spot between 1 and 8 that hasn't won the lottery since its implementation.

Finishing last doesn't guarantee picking #1.

The NHL announced this offseason that they will be making a change to the draft lottery process for the 2015 and 2016 draft. 

Teams that finish in the bottom five at the of the regular season will have less odds to the win the lottery and first overall pick than they did in previous years. 

Teams that finish in the bottom six through 14 will see their odds slightly increased. 

The NHL believes that this more appropriately reflects the current competitive balance in the league. 
The NHL will also make a change for the 2016 draft where they will determine the top three draft slots and not just the first overall that has been done in the past. The team that finishes last could now potentially drop down to the fourth overall pick, and not the second overall as it now stands. 

"Three draws will be held: the 1st Lottery draw will determine the Club selecting first overall, the 2nd Lottery draw will determine the Club selecting second overall and the 3rd Lottery draw will determine the club selecting third overall." 

After the drawing for the top three slots, the remaining four through 14 will go in inverse order of their regular season points.

post-2-0-84462900-1420674576_thumb.jpg

New NH

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2015-draft/draft-lottery-odds/

Craig Button's latest Draft rankings:

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-mcdavid-eichel-still-neck-and-neck-1.177115

I can't see us "out-sucking" Buffalo or Edmonton...  I think we'll fall into that 4-6 slot.   Which means we're probably in line to take Hannifan (D) Boston or Werenski (D) Michigan.  Strome @ #4 would be interesting, but I wonder how much of his game benefits from Being a teammate of Connor McDavid.

Could we package our #4-6 and Laughton/Schenn, etc. to move up???  I doubt any team with the #1, or #2 would be interesting in moving down...  Why would a team choose to give up a shot at 2 generational talents??

I really don't see any way we get a shot at a top-2 pick unless Mason/Giroux go down longterm.  Or... we get extremely lucky and win the lottery. (we'll have about an 8% chance to win... yeah... I know.)

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2015-draft/draft-lottery-odds/

Basically, I think we should be happy to gather ANOTHER bluechip defenseman to the system and continue to see which ones pan out.  Heck, it's not like defensive prospects can't be traded to fill other roles.  

One player (even McDavid) wouldnt turn Buffalo around maybe as quickly as they would like because they have too many holes to fill.  Maybe they'd be better suited to get 2 proven NHL forwards, a defensive prospect, and the 4-6 pick this year.  Maybe edmonton is tired of relying on high prospects and would want some proven players.  I think the Flyers are the worst team with the most potential.  Adding a player like McDavid could be the piece to put them over the top in 1 or 2 years where as the other bad team need more rebuilding.  I would package anyone not named Voracek or Giroux.

I would package anyone not named Voracek or Giroux.

Throw in Simmonds and Mason and we can agree :-P...  I can't imagine this team without simmonds.... they'd have ZERRRRO character.   I miss fartsmell.

Throw in Simmonds and Mason and we can agree :-P...  I can't imagine this team without simmonds.... they'd have ZERRRRO character.   I miss fartsmell.

Maybe Mason just because we finally have a goalie that's decent and its not easy to find another.  I'd lose Simmonds to make that deal.  I love him but he's a 3rd line/PP guy on most good teams.  Thats a small price for a franchise changer.  They'd find character. 

I'll say it again. finish last and you have a 20% chance of the top pick. You also have a 80% chance of missing the top pick. If you put your retirement money on the line are you taking those odds? 

My point is, we are not even halfway through this crap storm of a year. Maybe we should just take a breath and see what happens. There are FAR to many variables to take into account. I realize that doesn't make for allot of debate but sometimes it's more therapeutic to just sit back, watch the games you want to and be free mindful wise to roll with the punches. There is a distinct probability this will not go down a road anyone has figured yet. For me, I'm just gonna watch the mayhem and be at peace doing it because Hexy isn't gonna listen to me anyway.

( I mean really, 30 some games in and we are already trading Coots, Schenn, Laughton and half the the farm team. Hmmm, and we yell when Flyers management pushes the panic button).

@idahophilly

Of course ultimately you're right, but it's just something to kibitz about.

I know. It's fun to theorize and just bitch and moan. I'm going to anyway. I just try real hard to put it in perspective (hockey world, doesn't compare to real life issues). So, knowing that, I'll have a few mega rants to come! :)

I'll say it again. finish last and you have a 20% chance of the top pick. You also have a 80% chance of missing the top pick. If you put your retirement money on the line are you taking those odds? 

My point is, we are not even halfway through this crap storm of a year. Maybe we should just take a breath and see what happens. There are FAR to many variables to take into account. I realize that doesn't make for allot of debate but sometimes it's more therapeutic to just sit back, watch the games you want to and be free mindful wise to roll with the punches. There is a distinct probability this will not go down a road anyone has figured yet. For me, I'm just gonna watch the mayhem and be at peace doing it because Hexy isn't gonna listen to me anyway.

( I mean really, 30 some games in and we are already trading Coots, Schenn, Laughton and half the the farm team. Hmmm, and we yell when Flyers management pushes the panic button).

It's just discussion...can't discuss how good the third line is or how deep into the playoffs we think this team will go so what else are we going to talk about?  I am in a state of numbness.  If they win or lose I feel nothing....that's never happened before.  I missed the shootout the other night because I passed out with about 1:30 left in a tie game.  That should never happen but this is the most boring brand of hockey I have ever seen. With the tame nature of the NHL these days, the team has to be really good to be exciting.  I miss the days when even the bad teams were exciting to watch because of the nature of the game.  That's missing now.

If the flyers want to be exciting again, they need to stop worrying about defensive forwards and start worrying about getting playmakers (we all know what I mean by that :-) ). 

Personally, I would draft another blue chip D'man that will arrive at about the same time as Morin, Ghost and the kid they drafted last year (forgot his name).  Defense wins and right now, our defense blows!!!!  The Pens are a fine example of that, all O no D.

That would be Hanifin, likely to be there if you're drafting at 3.

FTR, above I'm not advocating making that trade (Two players, prospect, and 1-2 picks), just positing what I think the MOST the Flyers could afford to trade. I'm generally not a fan of trading multiple pieces for one. I also assume that any trade like that would be made after the lottery is held. Makes no sense to trade before the lottery, since the Flyers' original pick could be the lottery winner, and wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth?

Personally, I would draft another blue chip D'man that will arrive at about the same time as Morin, Ghost and the kid they drafted last year (forgot his name).  Defense wins and right now, our defense blows!!!!  The Pens are a fine example of that, all O no D.

The defense isnt good at all right now but I think the flyers have a few guys waiting to make the team. They could probably build a decent 4 man defense from that...good enough for me.

Crosby turned the entire penguins attitude and mentaility around.  You're right about their defense but what am I missing....aren't they still winning?  Besides letang, who are their defensman?  Besides Crosby and Malkin, who are their forwards?  If you remove Crosby I'll take the Flyers lineup.  Once you add Crosby, now the Downies, Talbots, Adamses, Kenedys, Kunitzes, and Dupuis start to play.  Add a Crosby like player to the Flyers and what can Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Laughton, Schenn, and Coots do?  Not to mention the excitement it would bring to the team.  I realize you would need to give up one or two of your key guys but I would still take that lineup over that pens lineup.

Well, the Pens win right up to when the playoffs start and then it all goes down the toilet when defense means the most.  But yes, there is an argument for both sides.  I'm just a firm believer that a strong defense wins it all.

Archived