Crosby For The Art Ross?

JagerMeister

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're mixing the Ross and the Hart there. Personally I doubt he gets either this year, but still a long way to go.

Yes, Yes I did.  It will be telling for both for the second half of the season though.  If they can get back to the play that they showed at the beginning of the season, I think he can make a good run.  But as far as the Hart(which I was commenting on by mistake) I can't see him as a favorite as he has been seen as struggling the first half of the year.   I think you have to be consistent for a complete year(not like the Ovi half year) to be in consideration IMHO.

Yes, Yes I did.  It will be telling for both for the second half of the season though.  If they can get back to the play that they showed at the beginning of the season, I think he can make a good run.  But as far as the Hart(which I was commenting on by mistake) I can't see him as a favorite as he has been seen as struggling the first half of the year.   I think you have to be consistent for a complete year(not like the Ovi half year) to be in consideration IMHO.

even if he was consistent i still dont think he would get the hart, Malkin and MAF have been playing really well.

even if he was consistent i still dont think he would get the hart, Malkin and MAF have been playing really well.
have to disagree on maf he didn't look good against the rangers then again neither did the rest of the team.emery stood on his head to help the flyers defeat the Pens. Which is what I was hoping maf against the rangers and greiss against the flyers!

I agree with you on this. Do you give it to the second leading scorer if he had a more consistent year? I also believe that timing is a factor or at least it should! IMHO

have to disagree on maf he didn't look good against the rangers then again neither did the rest of the team.emery stood on his head to help the flyers defeat the Pens. Which is what I was hoping maf against the rangers and greiss against the flyers!

why am i not surprised...

I mean, MAF has a couple bad games and your constantly on his ass
couple? At least 1/3 of his games are suspect! He is to inconsistent to be considered a good goalie. Someone said that the pens are built to win with an average goalie and Marc is an average goalie at best!

couple? At least 1/3 of his games are suspect! He is to inconsistent to be considered a good goalie. Someone said that the pens are built to win with an average goalie and Marc is an average goalie at best!

Im willing to bet the majority here would disagree with you. I mean, yes he is inconsistent but he is still a good goalie!!!

1/3?

If you have a .921 Save % and 2.31 GAA it's near impossible to have that many "suspect" games.  Fleury has been the least of the Pens' worries this season.

Heck, the only real worry (for now - knock on wood) is health.  When you have to deal with strokes, mumps, cancer and blood clots along with the usual assortment of hockey injuries there are going to be some lean weeks during the season.

1/3?

If you have a .921 Save % and 2.31 GAA it's near impossible to have that many "suspect" games.  Fleury has been the least of the Pens' worries this season.

Heck, the only real worry (for now - knock on wood) is health.  When you have to deal with strokes, mumps, cancer and blood clots along with the usual assortment of hockey injuries there are going to be some lean weeks during the season.

plus if he wants to show up for the game. There are times when he has a

hard time controlling the rebound

this happens to many times in some games. He acts like his head is somewhere else (on a personal problem)fortunately his teammates are there to clear the puck or to block a shot in most cases. I don't completely trust in his stats. When the Pens need him to come up with big in a crucial game he can't pull it off especially come playoff time

• 1 month later...

Thread bump and Art Ross talk...

Has there been a recent season where there were so many candidates for the Art Ross??

I can't recall...recently anyways.

Maybe its because, overall, no single goal scorer is on pace to a ridiculous amount of goals or assists as in past seasons.

It's been pointed out in other threads that we really don't have a player on pace for 100 points for instance.

But still, some mighty good players are making runs for the top of the leaderboard in the points dept and though Crosby is definitely one of them, he by far, is not the ONLY one.

Entering today's action, the top 10:

1--John Tavares (NYI)-----           64pts

2--Jakub Voracek (PHI)--            64pts

3--Nicklaus Backstrom (WSH)---64pts

4--Alex Ovechkin (WSH)----------62pts

5--Sidney Crosby (PIT)----------- 62pts

6--Evgeni Malkin (PIT)------------- 61pts

7--Vladimir Tarasenko (StL)------ 60pts

8--Jamie Benn (DAL) -------------- 60pts

9--Tyler Johnson (TBL)------------ 60pts

10-Ryan Getzlaf (ANA)------------ 59pts

And right behind that list, we have players like Claude Giroux also with 59, Rick Nash with 58, and Steven Stamkos with 57.

From the top spot to the 10th spot, a 5 point separation. 2 Point separation just for the top 5 alone!

And its not just the small point difference...but if you look at WHO is there....really, many of these players are capable of ripping off a point streak at any time, if they aren't on one already.

Should be an exciting finish to the Art Ross competition, despite not having any one or two players be able to hit the 100 pt mark this season.

No foregone conclusions at all!

Note: Patrick Kane and Tyler Seguin are still technically in the top 10 group (Kane- 64pts, Seguin-59pts), but obviously due to their injuries, it is safe to say they WON'T be winning the Art Ross this year.

Thread bump and Art Ross talk...

Has there been a recent season where there were so many candidates for the Art Ross??

I can't recall...recently anyways.

Maybe its because, overall, no single goal scorer is on pace to a ridiculous amount of goals or assists as in past seasons.

It's been pointed out in other threads that we really don't have a player on pace for 100 points for instance.

But still, some mighty good players are making runs for the top of the leaderboard in the points dept and though Crosby is definitely one of them, he by far, is not the ONLY one.

Entering today's action, the top 10:

1--John Tavares (NYI)-----           64pts

2--Jakub Voracek (PHI)--            64pts

3--Nicklaus Backstrom (WSH)---64pts

4--Alex Ovechkin (WSH)----------62pts

5--Sidney Crosby (PIT)----------- 62pts

6--Evgeni Malkin (PIT)------------- 61pts

7--Vladimir Tarasenko (StL)------ 60pts

8--Jamie Benn (DAL) -------------- 60pts

9--Tyler Johnson (TBL)------------ 60pts

10-Ryan Getzlaf (ANA)------------ 59pts

And right behind that list, we have players like Claude Giroux also with 59, Rick Nash with 58, and Steven Stamkos with 57.

From the top spot to the 10th spot, a 5 point separation. 2 Point separation just for the top 5 alone!

And its not just the small point difference...but if you look at WHO is there....really, many of these players are capable of ripping off a point streak at any time, if they aren't on one already.

Should be an exciting finish to the Art Ross competition, despite not having any one or two players be able to hit the 100 pt mark this season.

No foregone conclusions at all!

Note: Patrick Kane and Tyler Seguin are still technically in the top 10 group (Kane- 64pts, Seguin-59pts), but obviously due to their injuries, it is safe to say they WON'T be winning the Art Ross this year.

The generational talents: Crosby, Malkin and ovechkin are all past their primes and the rest of the league is not good enough to put up 100 points today

The generational talents: Crosby, Malkin and ovechkin are all past their primes and the rest of the league is not good enough to put up 100 points today

Really? Past their primes??

So guys who are not even 30 years old are past their primes??

If so, I must be downright ancient, as I turn a hag-like 31 this summer..... lmao...

Really? Past their primes??

So guys who are not even 30 years old are past their primes??

If so, I must be downright ancient, as I turn a hag-like 31 this summer..... lmao...

You dont see them putting 100 points anymore do you? they arent as good as they were before

@JagerMeister

Nobody is putting up 100. Its the way the game has gone. Its not like the league is without top end talent. Saying guys who are 27 are past their prime is ridiculous...no offence.(pun intended)

Some players peak earlier then others, look at ovechkin. And yes, i dont think most players today would even put up 100 points in the late 90s and 2000s

@TropicalFruitGirl26

new hockey nerd-bag numbers say the statistical prime for forwards is 25.  

the fact that players aren't scoring 100pts in a season as proof of "players not being as good" is troll bait and borderline asinine. 

idk how you can look at the late 90s and early 2000s players and then look at the players now in 2014 and say the 2014 group is better. 

@TropicalFruitGirl26

new hockey nerd-bag numbers say the statistical prime for forwards is 25.  

the fact that players aren't scoring 100pts in a season as proof of "players not being as good" is troll bait and borderline asinine. 

Well, I didn't buy into the whole 'past their primes' position, and I saw it for what it appeared to be....I was, however, being polite about it...hehe.

I look at the reason scoring may be down this year as either

A) An aberration...hey, its possible several top players just aren't having the kinds of seasons we fans are accustomed to....still good season, just not by THEIR standards.

B) NHL defenses as a whole, and goaltenders, are UP in quality...again, though, could still play into the A) scenario

C) As these mighty goal scorers mature, they realize there are other parts of their games that they must round out to truly be complete players...and thus that could have an impact on their overall offensive output.

After all, if a player, like say Steven Stamkos, is becoming more of a two way player (which by many accounts, he has been working on that aspect of his game the last couple seasons), then it stands to reason that he won't always be looking for that one-timer that pads his numbers but leaves the rest of the team out to dry on occasion.

A theory anyways. Talk to me about players past 34 or so being past their primes, then maybe that is viable...but under 30? Still in great shape? Still putting up good numbers? I don't care WHAT the nerds think....over 25 isn't time to start shopping for rolexes, a clapper, and and escalator for their two story homes.... ;)

Either way, the fact that so many good players can actually win the Art Ross this year is pretty exciting.

Well, I didn't buy into the whole 'past their primes' position, and I saw it for what it appeared to be....I was, however, being polite about it...hehe.

I look at the reason scoring may be down this year as either

A) An aberration...hey, its possible several top players just aren't having the kinds of seasons we fans are accustomed to....still good season, just not by THEIR standards.

B) NHL defenses as a whole, and goaltenders, are UP in quality...again, though, could still play into the A) scenario

C) As these mighty goal scorers mature, they realize there are other parts of their games that they must round out to truly be complete players...and thus that could have an impact on their overall offensive output.

After all, if a player, like say Steven Stamkos, is becoming more of a two way player (which by many accounts, he has been working on that aspect of his game the last couple seasons), then it stands to reason that he won't always be looking for that one-timer that pads his numbers but leaves the rest of the team out to dry on occasion.

A theory anyways. Talk to me about players past 34 or so being past their primes, then maybe that is viable...but under 30? Still in great shape? Still putting up good numbers? I don't care WHAT the nerds think....over 25 isn't time to start shopping for rolexes, a clapper, and and escalator for their two story homes.... ;)

Either way, the fact that so many good players can actually win the Art Ross this year is pretty exciting.

Being a two way player didnt stop Sakic from putting 119 points in 2000 and almost winning the selke.... Stammer is just not having a good year, for his standards anyways. Multiple players have been complete while putting up 100 points, Forsberg is another example. I still believe the 90s had the best group of players.

dk how you can look at the late 90s and early 2000s players and then look at the players now in 2014 and say the 2014 group is better. 

the same way i can look at canon D-70 camera and say it is better than a canon EOS-1 dslr.

the players are faster have better training methods and are better 1-25 than ever. Put today's Crosby in the league in the 90's and he would destroy it.

i feel like this conversation has been had over and over here in various forms....would Gretzky be as good today ? how about Lemeiux?  that speculation is all over this forum, and I don't know the answer. I do know the 3rd and 4th line players today are far superior to those of previous eras where they had to have summer jobs to get through the year.  

the same way i can look at canon D-70 camera and say it is better than a canon EOS-1 dslr.

the players are faster have better training methods and are better 1-25 than ever. Put today's Crosby in the league in the 90's and he would destroy it.

i feel like this conversation has been had over and over here in various forms....would Gretzky be as good today ? how about Lemeiux?  that speculation is all over this forum, and I don't know the answer. I do know the 3rd and 4th line players today are far superior to those of previous eras where they had to have summer jobs to get through the year.  

Not sure if he would 'destroy" the 90s, he would be competing with Lemieux or Jagr for the Ross... A 34 year old Jagr had 123 points in 2005. Thats better then Sidney Crosbys best season. OFC, not saying Jagr is a better player then Crosby. that can be debated elsewhere.

Archived