Hypothetical Trade Part II: Kessel and Phaneuf for Drew Doughty?

WordsOfWisdom

Leafs dump out the core and turn the page on the Brian Burke era with one fell swoop. In exchange they get back the first top-tier defenceman in franchise history -- a player that they can build a franchise around going forward.

LA gets elite level scoring in Kessel (which they need) and Phaneuf can eat minutes on the blueline and play "okay" D, which should be more than good enough on a team with the depth that the Kings have.

Or:

Kessel, Gardiner, and Franson in exchange for Doughty.

I don't think there are any players not named  "Crosby" or "Toews" that i would consider trading Doughty for...

Kessel wouldn't last 15 minutes playing for Daryl Sutter.  Those trades smack of the Charles Barkley 3 quarters for a dollar deal when he was traded to Phoenix.

I don't think there are any players not named  "Crosby" or "Toews" that i would consider trading Doughty for...

Kessel wouldn't last 15 minutes playing for Daryl Sutter.  Those trades smack of the Charles Barkley 3 quarters for a dollar deal when he was traded to Phoenix.

In a 1:1 trade I agree with you. LA would never part with Doughty for just one player in return. But a package deal that provides some "D" in return would be a fair deal to LA. Kessel for Doughty would never happen. But Kessel + Phaneuf for Doughty is intriguing. Kessel would instantly be the top scorer on LA, and while Phaneuf is no Doughty, he is an experienced defenceman that plays a ton of minutes. Both teams win that trade.

Toronto needs help on D, and they should be willing to trade anyone and everyone on their current roster to get that guy.

The Leafs need a franchise player, and they have lots of "B" level players that they can move to get one "A" level player if need be.

If I'm LA there's basically no way I would trade Doughty. Not even for Crosby, not when I already have Kopitar. Goal scorers are a lot easier to find than real franchise defenseman, you don't need to have an elite goal scorer like Kessel or Ovechkin. A Patrick Sharp type is good enough and you don't need to trade Doughty to get one.

In a 1:1 trade I agree with you. LA would never part with Doughty for just one player in return. But a package deal that provides some "D" in return would be a fair deal to LA. Kessel for Doughty would never happen. But Kessel + Phaneuf for Doughty is intriguing. Kessel would instantly be the top scorer on LA, and while Phaneuf is no Doughty, he is an experienced defenceman that plays a ton of minutes. Both teams win that trade.

Toronto needs help on D, and they should be willing to trade anyone and everyone on their current roster to get that guy.

The Leafs need a franchise player, and they have lots of "B" level players that they can move to get one "A" level player if need be.

Doughty is the kings most untouchable Franchise player. Won't happen. And in case you did not notice, the Kings are over the cap.

You would have an easier time getting Kopitar or Quick from them, and that won't happen either.

Kessel is the exact sort of player the kings do not want. If you cannot play strong two way physical hockey, you will get murdered there.

The kings would not trade Doughty for Toews. They probably would not even trade him for Crosby. Doughty is 24 years old with his best years still ahead of him and was already a key player in 2 cup wins. This is the sort of player who will retire with the team that drafted him.

Set your sights on a team like Nashville. They are one of the only contenders that actually have cap space(If they are allowed to breach their internal cap). You might get 1 of those two over there. Just not both. A scoring winger like Kessel would fit nicely alongside the Forsberg/Ribiero line. The current system they are running also emphasizes offense from the Defense, so maybe Phaneuf could find his offensive game again. But I doubt it. Phaneuf's contract is a lot more scary given how badly he has been regressing and Nashville has an excellent defense already that Poile will not be willing to part with.

But don't expect a top defenseman back. Weber and Josi are borderline untouchable, Jones is the future coming into his own improving every day and Ellis fits Laviolette's system to perfection. Poile spent time building that defense before even looking at forwards and was loathe to let Suter go due to Nashville's internal cap.

Among forwards, Forsberg and Wilson are untouchable.

But the honest truth is, Nashville's top 2 lines are pretty set. What they truly need is a backup goaltender and bottom 6 depth. Reimer might be in their crosshairs, but Kessel and Phaneuf are not.

I agree with all the comments being made, but Toronto's future has to begin with a #1 defenceman, no matter how they do it. It's time the Leafs did something right for a change. That means not going down the same old path again. I don't want to hear about wingers, centermen, or goaltenders. The Leafs need a #1 defenceman and when they get him, next on their shopping list should be a #2 defenceman.

Just for once in my life, I would like to see the Leafs be a team that is known for their defence. A team that is difficult to play against. A team that hits everything that moves and doesn't give opposing teams any time or space. I want them to be the New Jersey Devils of 1995. I want Scott Stevens v2.0. I want to see SIX defencemen that can play. Once the Leafs are in the top three in the NHL for fewest goals allowed, THEN they can add a scoring winger here or there and worry about offence.

They keep doing everything backwards and it's hard to watch this team implode every year.  :(

I agree with all the comments being made, but Toronto's future has to begin with a #1 defenceman, no matter how they do it. It's time the Leafs did something right for a change. That means not going down the same old path again. I don't want to hear about wingers, centermen, or goaltenders. The Leafs need a #1 defenceman and when they get him, next on their shopping list should be a #2 defenceman.

Just for once in my life, I would like to see the Leafs be a team that is known for their defence. A team that is difficult to play against. A team that hits everything that moves and doesn't give opposing teams any time or space. I want them to be the New Jersey Devils of 1995. I want Scott Stevens v2.0. I want to see SIX defencemen that can play. Once the Leafs are in the top three in the NHL for fewest goals allowed, THEN they can add a scoring winger here or there and worry about offence.

They keep doing everything backwards and it's hard to watch this team implode every year.  :(

A #1 Defenseman is the hottest commodity in the NHL. Everyone wants one. more than a goalie or even superstar forward.

Drafting one or hoping a team does not match an absurd offer sheet is your only hope because nobody parts with them.

Even finding a #2 or 3 Dman is rough as heck these days.

we already have a number 1 defenseman. Phaneuf. No but seriously, how has he been with toronto?

we already have a number 1 defenseman. Phaneuf. No but seriously, how has he been with toronto?

Well technically every team has a defenceman that is their #1 guy. But the Leafs #1 guy has never been anything more than a #3 or #4 guy on a Stanley Cup winning team. That's the problem. :(

Phaneuf is overpaid. He is probably an average defenceman but he's being paid as if he were a Norris trophy candidate. If you cut his salary in half, took the "C" away, and stuck him on the second defensive unit, I'd be happy with Phaneuf on my team. He just can't be on the top unit on a winning team.

Well technically every team has a defenceman that is their #1 guy. But the Leafs #1 guy has never been anything more than a #3 or #4 guy on a Stanley Cup winning team. That's the problem. :(

Phaneuf is overpaid. He is probably an average defenceman but he's being paid as if he were a Norris trophy candidate. If you cut his salary in half, took the "C" away, and stuck him on the second defensive unit, I'd be happy with Phaneuf on my team. He just can't be on the top unit on a winning team.

thing is though...you dont really have anyone better then phaneuf :/ I remember when he use to be a norris candidate  :lol:

Archived