Mike Richards Waived

AJgoal

Mike was never a great skater either and the speed of the game had passed him by.

I think you bring up a great point Pods...

I was also reading a "tweet" last night that Lombardi said he is like a baseball that previously hit .330, only now he he is hitting .200 and should be hitting .280.  Lomabardi also said they did not use the compliance buyout this year b/c he sat down w/ Richards and he promsed him that he would be committed to the offseason.  More or less it sounds like Lombardi thinks he is coasting and should be a better player.

I will try and find the tweet and post it here..

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is all on Homer, dumb to give him that contract but smart enough to trade him to get out from it. Atleast we got some good players for him.

I was OK with Richards when he was here but the last year was really bad if you guys remembered. He did not give a **** out there and the way he addressed the media after the game showed he had some major attitude problem. Some people made excuses that he was playing hurt or injured. Now he is showing his true colors that he did not care about coming to training camp fit and ready for the season. I am not bashing Richards but he is what he is which is a good player.

Imagine him still here and playing like this. We would have him, VLC, RJ (replace with Hartnell if Hextall did not take over as GM) and MacDonald screwing our cap up forever. We might not have these guys for sure but knowing Homer, he would still sign these guys anyway to try and win. I am just glad we have one less problem on this team.

This is all on Homer, dumb to give him that contract but smart enough to trade him to get out from it. Atleast we got some good players for him.

I was OK with Richards when he was here but the last year was really bad if you guys remembered. He did not give a **** out there and the way he addressed the media after the game showed he had some major attitude problem. Some people made excuses that he was playing hurt or injured. Now he is showing his true colors that he did not care about coming to training camp fit and ready for the season. I am not bashing Richards but he is what he is which is a good player.

Imagine him still here and playing like this. We would have him, VLC, RJ (replace with Hartnell if Hextall did not take over as GM) and MacDonald screwing our cap up forever. We might not have these guys for sure but knowing Homer, he would still sign these guys anyway to try and win. I am just glad we have one less problem on this team.

it definitely is all on Homer for this ridiculous contract but from the Kings perspective they (I believe) looked at it like Richards was a missing piece to a Cup.   I was always a fan of Richards but his last year here brought on some level of dissapointment.   His contract was way too long and there was no way, playing his style of game, that he would be productive for the length of the contract.

It is a shame to see him going through this and it sounds as though he is really going to be sent to the AHL - I find it hard to believe anyone will take that contract.   I never doubted his efforts on the ice but I do have doubts about his preparation...

Homer gave out 1 long-term contract that worked out. Timonen.

The rest?

Briere - 8 years, bought out

Pronger - 7 years (35+ contract), injured for life, stuck with LTIR contract; dude now works for the NHL yet we pay him???? That's messed up.

Carter - 11 years, traded before it even kicked in

Richards - 12 years, traded in year 3 (before the NTC kicked in)

Hartnell - 6 years (to a 32 year old), traded for RJ freakin' Umberger

MacDonald - 6 years (to a marginal 3/4/5 defenseman), and he's already underwhelming

Bryzgalov - 9 years, bought out after year 2.

VLC - 5 years, already a huge mistake, can't get rid of him

Streit - 4 years (35+ contract). Up to now, I'll say it has worked out really well. It's a 35+ contract, but probably right on the cusp of the maximum you'd want to give that kind of player. 2-3 years would have been better. But he's replaced Timo in a way, especially on the PP. I've grown to like him very much.

The other one we have on the books is Giroux at 8 years. If there's one guy on this team who's worth it, it's Giroux. 

Still, with Homer's track record, it shows that long-term contracts generally don't work out. You just can't accurately predict a player's worth that far into the future. So many things can change and so many things can go wrong.  I mean, hell, companies don't even give their CEOs that long. A lot of them are on 5 year renewable contracts. 

At least Homer got out from under the Carter and Richards deals, and made out like a bandit (if not a few Stanley Cups).

I think you bring up a great point Pods...

I was also reading a "tweet" last night that Lombardi said he is like a baseball that previously hit .330, only now he he is hitting .200 and should be hitting .280.  Lomabardi also said they did not use the compliance buyout this year b/c he sat down w/ Richards and he promsed him that he would be committed to the offseason.  More or less it sounds like Lombardi thinks he is coasting and should be a better player.

I will try and find the tweet and post it here..

I have always liked Richards, he won everything, he was clutch, I didn't give a rats ass that he chased girls and didn't give a good post game quote , i really didn't he put out for us on the ice and that was what mattered, I reckon when the 'putting out on the ice" isn't what it should be all the other stuff gets amplified.

Given what seems to be a pretty bad attitude regarding preparation, do you want to send him to the A ?  How bad of an example is he at this point ?  I don't know **** from shinola about how things are "working out" with him other than he wasn't playing and wasn't producing.  It makes me sad to see a guy that was a gamer and fine competitor waived .  He should still have something left in the tank , maybe he doesn't give **** anymore.  Maybe he does retire,  it 's odd for me , all the ability and game awareness ...wasted.

I think you have to include Hartnell's first deal - signed the same time as Timonen.

I think the Briere deal ended exactly as envisioned by both parties - with the bonus to the Flyers that they got a Get Out Of Cap Hit Free card.

And I think you also have to include Voracek and Simmonds as good, mid-to-long term signings. And we'll see how the Read deal pans out over the length.

I don't mind Streit, but it's more of the "Shiny! Me Win Now! - SQUIRREL!" approach - but turned into a good insurance deal on Timonen.

And I don't like Homer as GM one little bit :D

But I do think the jury is out on Giroux. He's a very good player, but I'm still waiting for him to be more than Mats Sundin and I find it along the same lines as the Richards/Crater deals with the contract marking the "commitment" the team is making rather than rewarding for achievement. Yes, that's how I feel. I understand other opinions vary. :D

I have always liked Richards, he won everything, he was clutch, I didn't give a rats ass that he chased girls and didn't give a good post game quote , i really didn't he put out for us on the ice and that was what mattered, I reckon when the 'putting out on the ice" isn't what it should be all the other stuff gets amplified.

Given what seems to be a pretty bad attitude regarding preparation, do you want to send him to the A ?  How bad of an example is he at this point ?  I don't know **** from shinola about how things are "working out" with him other than he wasn't playing and wasn't producing.  It makes me sad to see a guy that was a gamer and fine competitor waived .  He should still have something left in the tank , maybe he doesn't give **** anymore.  Maybe he does retire,  it 's odd for me , all the ability and game awareness ...wasted.

Says who? Maybe he has what he wants out of life. He's made what, 30, 40 million dollars in his life, he's famous, he has two Stanley Cups, an Olympic Gold Medal, and many other accolades - as Rad said, the only person to have won what he has. If he is happy where he is (and only he can know that), then he's hardly wasted his talent - he used it to make the life he wants. Maybe hockey was just a means to an end for Richards. We like to make broad statements about people wasting their talents, but in the end, it's theirs to do what they want with. It's only a waste if they don't use it to make their lives what they want them to be, and we really can't judge that.

But enough with the sappy BS. I will say that if he said he would be in shape and didn't do it, that's disappointing. I believe in being accountable to others and following through on what I say - especially when I'm being paid to do so. 

Says who? Maybe he has what he wants out of life. He's made what, 30, 40 million dollars in his life, he's famous, he has two Stanley Cups, an Olympic Gold Medal, and many other accolades - as Rad said, the only person to have won what he has. If he is happy where he is (and only he can know that), then he's hardly wasted his talent - he used it to make the life he wants. Maybe hockey was just a means to an end for Richards. We like to make broad statements about people wasting their talents, but in the end, it's theirs to do what they want with. It's only a waste if they don't use it to make their lives what they want them to be, and we really can't judge tha

I agree. good point.

He's certainly not JD Drew. 

For me i'd like to think he'd want to mentor some young guys maybe stick around and transfer some knowledge, that's what I'd want to do, but everyone is different, maybe he is done and wants to go fishing.  

The rest?

Briere - 8 years, bought out

Pronger - 7 years (35+ contract), injured for life, stuck with LTIR contract; dude now works for the NHL yet we pay him???? That's messed up.

Carter - 11 years, traded before it even kicked in

Richards - 12 years, traded in year 3 (before the NTC kicked in)

Hartnell - 6 years (to a 32 year old), traded for RJ freakin' Umberger

MacDonald - 6 years (to a marginal 3/4/5 defenseman), and he's already underwhelming

Bryzgalov - 9 years, bought out after year 2.

VLC - 5 years, already a huge mistake, can't get rid of him

Streit - 4 years (35+ contract). Up to now, I'll say it has worked out really well. It's a 35+ contract, but probably right on the cusp of the maximum you'd want to give that kind of player. 2-3 years would have been better. But he's replaced Timo in a way, especially on the PP. I've grown to like him very much.

The other one we have on the books is Giroux at 8 years. If there's one guy on this team who's worth it, it's Giroux. 

Still, with Homer's track record, it shows that long-term contracts generally don't work out. You just can't accurately predict a player's worth that far into the future. So many things can change and so many things can go wrong.  I mean, hell, companies don't even give their CEOs that long. A lot of them are on 5 year renewable contracts. 

At least Homer got out from under the Carter and Richards deals, and made out like a bandit (if not a few Stanley Cups).

Wow that is some list.   Agree..thank God we no longer have the Carter and Richard deals.... BUT we have the VLC contract on an player nobody wants.  I said it before and I will say it again...gonna have to eat some salary.

How long is the waiver period for Richards,,,is it 48 hrs. I can't remember.

Richards Cleared Waivers.

wow

It's the 5 years @ $5.75M. It's too much of a gamble if he doesn't turn his **** around.

Richards riding buses in the AHL at 29. Never thought that would ever be the case.

@hf101

No GM is that stupid to claim him except Homer. They might trade for him if LA retain some salary. Lombardi just screwed it up last sunmer, should have bought him out but loyalty got the best of him.

@mojo1917

Not sure if I want Richards around mentiring and passing knowledge to the young kids. Would Voracek be where he is if he learned from Richards? Thank god we had Jagr here for that 1 season, it did wonders on and off the ice.

The above, for me, was a big ol' red flag / screaming siren of what we're looking at with him now.   Because the above (not as much the lousy post game quote) was indicative of work habits.  It seemed, to me, that he was young enough and good enough that he could get away with just showing up at game time.  But as you age, you lose a step, etc., and your game is won in preparation. Because he never learned good work habits that they became habit and reflexive, he doesn't have them now when he can't simply get away with just showing up.

And, so, at 29 almost 30, he's going back to the AHL.

Says who? Maybe he has what he wants out of life. He's made what, 30, 40 million dollars in his life, he's famous, he has two Stanley Cups, an Olympic Gold Medal, and many other accolades - as Rad said, the only person to have won what he has. If he is happy where he is (and only he can know that), then he's hardly wasted his talent - he used it to make the life he wants. Maybe hockey was just a means to an end for Richards. We like to make broad statements about people wasting their talents, but in the end, it's theirs to do what they want with. It's only a waste if they don't use it to make their lives what they want them to be, and we really can't judge that.

Absolutely.

It's the 5 years @ $5.75M. It's too much of a gamble if he doesn't turn his **** around.

Richards riding buses in the AHL at 29. Never thought that would ever be the case.

What if there is more too this? 

Even if Richards is sent to the AHL -- which seems likely he is still eligible for the playoffs.  The move creates space for Lombardi to acquire a d-man.  And in the end the team is stronger come the playoffs.

Even if Richards is sent to the AHL -- which seems likely he is still eligible for the playoffs.  The move creates space for Lombardi to acquire a d-man.  And in the end the team is stronger come the playoffs.

this is what Ecklund is saying E-2...

or whatever.

It makes me sad to see a guy that was a gamer and fine competitor waived . He should still have something left in the tank , maybe he doesn't give **** anymore. Maybe he does retire, it 's odd for me , all the ability and game awareness ...wasted.

maybe he is sad b/c ol' frosty tips got married and he is w/out a wingman?

But it only creates about $900k in cap space. Does that really make a significant difference in what the Kings can do?

maybe he is sad b/c ol' frosty tips got married and he is w/out a wingman?

E5 - Carter has requested a demotion to the Manchester Monarchs. Prepared to go in full "beach house lockdown" if it doesn't happen.

E5 - Carter has requested a demotion to the Manchester Monarchs. Prepared to go in full "beach house lockdown" if it doesn't happen.

LOL - from the sunny beaches of LA to the snowy drifts of Manchester.  they better trade in their swimming trunks for winter parkas!

Archived