Evander Kane Watch

Podein25

First, scratched the other night for violating the team's dress code (he showed up wearing a track suit, the idiot).

Now, not on the ice for practice today. Rumours aplenty that he could be traded...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/evander-kane-a-no-show-at-jets-practice-1.2946361

I still say he would be the perfect Wing, we have not had a black star ever, in a black town. Race really should not be a primary factor but in life it often is. I think he is something Detroit has never had, in a long time, a scoring winger with a scarl, Shanahan and Mac come to mind.

What does Winnipeg want for him?

Don't want Kane. Guy has issues and just doesn't seem to grasp the "team" thing. He's hit 30 once, but has never hit 20 other than that season. Schenn is developing into an equivalent  player for less money.

I still like him for KOing Matt Cooke though. I'd even give him a HOF vote for that one.

I still say he would be the perfect Wing, we have not had a black star ever, in a black town. Race really should not be a primary factor but in life it often is. I think he is something Detroit has never had, in a long time, a scoring winger with a scarl, Shanahan and Mac come to mind.

What does Winnipeg want for him

I can see your point.

I think Kane is seen by GMs as an enticing prospect. He has a relatively unique combination of attributes: size, speed, and snarl, plus there's a game-breaking aspect to his game. He might be a giant douchebag. But sometimes that's what comes with the above package. What Kane has shown me and others this year is that he is in elite shape and works his butt off. He doesn't always work smart, but you cannot find fault with his work ethic. He gives 'er.

Hard to say what the Jets would want. Lots presumably: a decent roster player (the Jets desperately need bottom 6 forward depth), a prospect and a pick likely, or some combination of the above. They would definitely want a forward back that can skate and hit like Kane does. He's playing on the 3rd line so it's not like they would be moving a key piece of their top 2 lines. But size and speed is the identity of this Jets team, so any player coming back needs to fit that mould.

Lots presumably: a decent roster player (the Jets desperately need bottom 6 forward depth), a prospect and a pick likely, or some combination of the above.

Nah. Too much. Put it this way - do you think Brayden Schenn could fetch you those 3 things? I don't.

Apparently the price has dropped on Kane:

Chris Johnston        ✔ @reporterchris
Follow
Surveyed some NHL scouts and feeling is that price on Evander Kane has dropped. One top asset could be enough to land him from #NHLJets.

Guy has issues and just doesn't seem to grasp the "team" thing. 

I know that he has attitude issues, but he has demonstrated that he can be a team first player on the ice. I'm actually surprised by it. I think it's because he respects his teammates, guys like Byfuglien and Wheeler, and doesn't want to let them down. That's not inconsistent with being a douche off the ice.

Nah. Too much. Put it this way - do you think Brayden Schenn could fetch you those 3 things? I don't.

Follow
Surveyed some NHL scouts and feeling is that price on Evander Kane has dropped. One top asset could be enough to land him from #NHLJets.

If I'm the Pens I'd be all over that. He'd give them some depth in their top 6 that they've been seriously lacking in forever. Plus they don't mind if he's another  douchebag.

Follow
Surveyed some NHL scouts and feeling is that price on Evander Kane has dropped. One top asset could be enough to land him from #NHLJets

Maybe. I don't see Chevvy taking that though. I think they have to get a roster player with speed and a high pick.

@Podein25

@flyercanuck

No, they won't give him away, but Winnipeg gave up a lot of leverage by benching him and now holding him out of practice. Couple that with his reputation as a problem child, declining numbers, and bad numbers this year in general, and well, his stock has fallen in terms of return value.

If they get a pick along with a player, I wouldn't say higher than 3rd round.

When you are young and have had even a little bit of success (young alone is not enough), but take a step back or stagnated with their current team, that's the kind of player who is ripe for the picking. Guys like that are dying for a new environment. Even if he has an attitude problem, sometimes being traded can snap a guy out of it.

That being said, if you get suspended for a failure to comply with the team's wardrobe, you are an ass hole. It's not the same magnitude as Marshawn Lynch, but it's the same direction. It's making an issue out of something that is not an issue. Guys like that, I'm leery of. For the right price, yes. Anything that hurts this team's future, I don't take the risk on him.

No, they won't give him away, but Winnipeg gave up a lot of leverage by benching him and now holding him out of practice. Couple that with his reputation as a problem child, declining numbers, and bad numbers this year in general, and well, his stock has fallen in terms of return value.

If they get a pick along with a player, I wouldn't say higher than 3rd round.

His numbers are mainly down this year because of injuries, but yeah I get your point. If the market has softened, the team that puts a good offer together could get a dynamic player for relatively little. That includes the Flyers. They should be in on this action IMHO.

His numbers are mainly down this year because of injuries, but yeah I get your point. If the market has softened, the team that puts a good offer together could get a dynamic player for relatively little. That includes the Flyers. They should be in on this action IMHO.

I would think at the very least the Jets want a top line winger in return.

I used to want both Kane and Bogosian, but now I'm not sure I want either. There's either something rotten in Winnipeg for both of them to have fallen so far from their early success, or they just aren't as good as they were made out to be. 

Who was Kane playing with when he scored 30 goals? And who is he playing with now?

I used to want both Kane and Bogosian, but now I'm not sure I want either. There's either something rotten in Winnipeg for both of them to have fallen so far from their early success, or they just aren't as good as they were made out to be. 

Who was Kane playing with when he scored 30 goals? And who is he playing with now?

I agree wholeheartedly on Bogosian. I would have traded him last week after the 5-1 drubbing by Dallas in which he took two bad slashing penalties (Dallas scored on both). 

I think both he and Kane regressed last year under Noel who, by all accounts, is a loon. I think Kane lost his scoring confidence.

He's not a natural scorer really. He gets lots of chances and creates many of his own and while he has a good shot he's woefully inaccurate with it. I think in 2011-12 when he got 30 he played with Antropov at center mainly, but also benefited from Kyle Wellwood's passing on the PP probably. He got on a tear and the goals came easy. 

I think he could score 30 again easily. He needs a playmaking center to play with.

@Podein25

I have watched more of the Jets games lately, the other night I believe he had 3 assists! He was dishing the puck like he was Gretzky or something, lol. I had no idea he had that in his game.

The Wings need a puck moving d-man first and foremost. preferably a righty but I have watched Kane for quite some time and would love to see him wearing the winged wheel.

I mentioned that to Jammer about a year ago, and we talked about the fact that MoTown has never ever had a black hockey star. Not one and scarce few have even played for the Wings, five minutes of Tony McKegney and a few others.

We have more organizational depth to offer than we ever have, NHL ready and near ready skilled players simply bursting at the seems. Let me be clear, I am not a homer who thinks that every prospect coming out of the AHL is the next Yzerman or Gordie Howe, I if anything am critical of the Wings over the last few years for waiting on the kids, but Holland was right with the way he has built this team and we have depth to make a deal. 

I think Kane is enormously talented and skilled but undisciplined. I think the Wings with the veteran pressense and the respect that Babcock demands would be an ideal fit for the kid.

And for whatever it is worth I agree with the decision to suspend him by Paul Maurice, you cannot have two sets of rules for the players, Kane is currently a huge distraction for a team that has lost 5 in a row and fighting to make the playoffs.

And I bet he would look really good in red. :rolleyes:

@yave1964

I think Kane would prosper in a highly structured environment like Detroit. He requires discipline (clearly), but I see a player who wants to win and competes. He's not the smartest hockey player to ever lace up the skates, but he's a dangerous player, especially (surprisingly) on the PK.

I agree with the decision too. You can't have two sets of rules. But I think what's just as important is how his teammates react. We'll never know since it's locker room stuff, but I'm betting that Kane is buying the team dinner next time out. He'll be called to account by Ladd and Buff and Stuart and company. 

The more I hear about this guy the less I want him. I used to really like his game too. He just sounds like one of those idiots who's full of himself.

That story which so far only SportsNet is running, has the ring of truth to it. Sad. The kid has so much talent.

@Podein25

The part that sucks for the Jets is his value is plummeting. And if they do deal him it may just be the kick in the arse he needs to get his act together. Someone may get a good player for cheap here, but you're risking bringing something bad into your lockerroom. Maybe he just needs Byfuglien to scream at him and threaten to kick the crap out of him. Maybe hang onto him and see.

I would think at the very least the Jets want a top line winger in return.

Yeah, but is that realistic at this point? His recent locker room incident, while troubling, are one thing, but he's also dropped in production. The Jets aren't exactly in the strongest position if they want to move him. I think you can get him for less than you would have last year or even earlier this season I think is partially, if not mostly, his own doing. He sounds like an ass hole to be honest, but he's also only 23. A trade could wake his ass up and with his value down, I'm putting on my best use car salesman suit I own if I'm the GM.

Archived