Does NJD have the worst group of forwards in the NHL?

JagerMeister

@JagerMeister

Buffalo, by far.

NJ has Jagr, Henrique, Elias, Zajac and Cammeleri, all capable. Bernier and the fourth line is solid if unspectacular. The rest are rotten, I include Gomez in that group, talent finds its own level and he is due for a crash. What drags them down is the guys like Havlat, Tootoo and Ryder who are just so god awful that they would drag the 1970's Canadiens down.

Buffalo has Girgensons. That is about it. Hodgson has taken a huge step back, Moulson is stealing his paycheck and so is Stafford, Gionta saw his best days nearly a decade ago. These guys are by far the worst bunch of forwards in the game. Their saving grace is Sam Bennett (their first rounder this year) who will be a top six forward for the next decade who is polishing his skills in juniors. But this F troop is beyond bad.

@JagerMeister

Buffalo, by far.

NJ has Jagr, Henrique, Elias, Zajac and Cammeleri, all capable. Bernier and the fourth line is solid if unspectacular. The rest are rotten, I include Gomez in that group, talent finds its own level and he is due for a crash. What drags them down is the guys like Havlat, Tootoo and Ryder who are just so god awful that they would drag the 1970's Canadiens down.

Buffalo has Girgensons. That is about it. Hodgson has taken a huge step back, Moulson is stealing his paycheck and so is Stafford, Gionta saw his best days nearly a decade ago. These guys are by far the worst bunch of forwards in the game. Their saving grace is Sam Bennett (their first rounder this year) who will be a top six forward for the next decade who is polishing his skills in juniors. But this F troop is beyond bad.

Tyler Ennis. Right now NJDs best point producer is Gomez, he isnt rotten at all. Really its only Camm, henrique and Gomez who have been pretty good

The Devils were planning to have Kovalchuk, Parise and Clarkson abandoned them.

Regardless of Clarkson's regression, those are three big holes in any team.

Also what they gave up to get Kovalchuk.

Their current state highlights the inherent danger of the Big Trade.

They really didn't give up that much for Kovalchuk though. Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier, and a 1st round pick. Neither Bergfors or Cormier panned out. The first round pick ended up being Kevin Hayes. The Devils also swapped 2nd rounders with Atlanta, and drafted Jon Merrill as a result.

The bigger problem had been drafting and development. Since 2003, the only forwards they've developed are Parise, Zajac, Clarkson, Henrique, and Josefson. Two of those guys are gone, and Josefson is a borderline NHL player. The drafting on defense has been very good for the last 4-5 years. Now they need to do the same with forwards.

@JagerMeister

Buffalo, by far.

I think you meant Sam Reinhart. Bennett is a Calgary Flame prospect. 

But I'd take Reinhart OR the Sabres first pick this year over ALL of the Devils forwards.

The Devils have one of the best defensive crops in the NHL; however the forwords are another story. I think Lou relied heavily on Kovy, Parise, Clarkson, etc. to help them and they all left. I see Boucher, Henrique, Camm, Gomer, Matteau, Queenville, and Josefson as the prime guys. They only draft defensive reliable forwords, even if it means a downgrade on offensive. Matteau and Queenville were both late 1st rounders who are good physically, defensivly, and positionly; however their offensive abilities are not like other first rounders. I don't think the Devils need a long rebuild. In all honestly, with their defence and goaltending, I think they can be a playoff contender next year.

Archived