Del Zotto on the core of this team

brelic

They would still have his rights because once again he'd be a RFA...then you sign the bridge....right...but i'd be ok with doing it now.

He will have 7 years after next season, so he'd be UFA.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He will have 7 years after next season, so he'd be UFA.

It's 7 years of service? I thought it was the age of 27.  I could be wrong.

Well then worse case next year he signs a 1 year deal (if they can't come to term on a longer one) then at the deadline if you can't resign him during the season he will be a hot commodity come the deadline again.

The Flyers took a chance on him so the leverage is in their end no matter what they can/will move him and not just let him walk. Money i guess will determine the outcome.

It's either or.

I'd prefer not to have to consider trading away a young defenseman entering his prime for contract reasons.

I'm sure the Flyer's brass wouldn't either, they'd prefer to come to terms...but at the end of the day if they can't at least they will get something out of it unlike with the Eagles and Maclin who can't come to terms and he may sign somewhere else and they will get nothing for it.

They took a gamble signing him to a 1 year deal and he has his best season of his career so rightfully so he expects to get paid.

Money changes everything. And in MDZ case they will move him for something than just lose him for nothing.

I think they will work something out.

I think the Flyers need to sign MDZ because he can replace Streit and just trade Streit this offseason.

Because he can do everything Streit can do except he'll actually hit someone and be physical and can actually play SOME DEFENSE.

Streit is garbage in his own end and seems to have lost his effectiveness scoring so to me he has no value....so move him before his skills erode further and save his 5.25mill on someone else.

And please don't hand me this elder statesman crap about showing the kids the way....only thing he can show them is how to be soft and suck in your own zone.

Move him at the draft if possible.

Sadly i agree with this statement...

* It's hard to deny right now that sans-Michael Del Zotto, Carlo Colaiacovo is currently this team's best defenseman. At the very least, he certainly was tonight. This checks out by the eye test -- Colaiacovo smartly stepped up into the play a number of times tonight, leading to quality chances for the Flyers. This checks out by the stats -- Colaiacovo had the best possession numbers of any Flyers defenseman, pretty easily. And Craig Berube seems to recognize it -- Carlo had the most ice time of any defenseman other than Mark Streit, who of course gets top power play minutes. Whether you'd like to read this as "this guy we picked up off the street mid-season is better than all of our other options" or "hey, nice mid-season pick-up by the Flyers" is, again, up to you.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/3/18/8239971/flyers-after-dark-recap

Whether you'd like to read this as "this guy we picked up off the street mid-season is better than all of our other options" or "hey, nice mid-season pick-up by the Flyers" is, again, up to you.

#homercoaster

There's an article on philly.com this morning about how the Flyers should keep Del Zotto around, which I think is a foregone conclusion at this point. He's an RFA so it's not as critical to get this done right now. But I can't imagine a scenario where the Flyers don't give him another contract.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20150223_Flyers_should_retain_a_valuable_asset__Del_Zotto.html

Anyway, I found one of his quotes about the core group to be more interesting than the rest of the article:

That's a really great thing to hear. It bodes well for the future of this team.

The broadcast guys yesterday were talking about how Giroux kicked the reporters out of the locker room after the last game so they could celebrate Ryan White and let him have his moment as player of the game (the Colby cap?). That's strong leadership right there, and the kind of stuff we rarely hear about.

Queue someone offer sheeting Del Zotto because you are in cap hell :P

Queue someone offer sheeting Del Zotto because you are in cap hell :P

Flyers sit at 65.768 million going into next year with 18 players under contract, 5 million below what's been projected to be a 71 million dollar cap. That includes Pronger's 4.9 million dollars which can be moved to LTIR. They're actually not in terrible cap position for next year, even with MacDonald's, Lecavalier's, and Umberger's bloated numbers.

Barry Ashbee Trophy 2015: Picking the best Flyers defenseman, aka 'the King of Turd Ball'

200.gif

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/3/27/8299613/barry-ashbee-trophy-2015-philadelphia-flyers-defenseman

Forget the stats..........i'd give it to MDZ.

Streit disappointed me this year.

Some interesting thoughts stats from today's OT loss to the Canes.

Coots went 5-14 in the faceoff circle 36%

Manning led the team with a +6 shot attempt differential, while Colaiacovo was a +4.

Grossmann and Mark Streit were an abysmal -11 and -14 respectively. YIKES!!!!!!!!

Archived