News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

JagerMeister

Florida Panthers General Discussion

Howden with a concussion, Pirri with an injury. Wow, incredibly unfortunate :(

Edited by JagerMeister

Interesting off season coming up for Florida.

Obviously, some of those will depend on this season's playoff run (assuming they maintain their position and get in), but looking over their roster and corresponding salary, I see where the 'greybeards' of this team, Jagr and Thornton, are both UFA's at season's end.

Given both those players' ages, it would seem like a no-brainer to let them walk and sign some younger players....however, those two are no ordinary grizzled, past-their-primes veterans.

Jagr, no secret, has still been productive and many of the younger forwards on the team credit him for helping their game along.

Thornton lends an air of legitimacy to the entire team by providing a serious and championship presence on a team otherwise populated by young unproven talent.

One thing VERY much in Florida's favor is the current salary structure.

They don't have a glut of 'bad contracts' they have to constantly maneuver around. The only two that really stand out are Brian Campbell (36 yr old D-man with a $7.1M hit...yikes!) and Dave Boland, 29, who somehow managed to garner a $5.5M hit salary, despite him being a mostly pedestrian type player.

Campbell's contract is coming off the books, and unless he takes a big discount, he likely won't be returning....so that leaves Bolland as Florida's only real nettlesome contract.

Luongo has a $4.5M cap hit, but he obviously has proven he can still play and really, as a young team on the rise, you don't wanna go frugal on the goaltending.

That brings us back to Thornton and Jagr.

Do these two return for yet another season? At what rate?

Jagr is 3.5, while Thornton is 1.2.

To keep in mind, Gudbranson ($2.5M), Pirri ($925K), and Trocheck ($660K), all fine players, will be RFA's and will require nice raises.

An interesting article by Hockeybuzz's Florida blogger. 

I did not know the Rags had informed their season ticket base that a rebuild is starting. You can tell by the TB and Bos trades that was happening, but nice to see them own up to it (really though, did they have any other choice?)

Any hoo...the jist of this article is the Panthers should trade for Brendan Smith in exchange for a 3rd rd pick and the NYR retaining a mill of his money. I must ask.....has DALE TALLON LOST IT??  Has this writer lost it??  Smith JUST signed a deal for 4.4 mill....he is not even worth 2 mill....played well in the playoffs??  So, he will not go back to the same old slow, disinterested defender he was for all his yrs in Detroit??? This is INSANE....

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

• Like 1

Well now they have Quenville and have made some big moves.  So will any fans show up?  I doubt it.  It just not a hockey market. I do not know why they continue to hold out hope for Southern Florida.  Its just not hockey country.  South beach is going to draw.  Not the Panthers. I give them two years.  They  should be much better. But will it fill the building?  Maybe on opening night.  After that, tune in when your team is in town, and look at the empty seats