Can the Senators make the playoffs, and is Andrew Hammond the future?

ScottM

andrew-hammond.jpg?w=1000

Less than a month ago (February 7, to be exact), The Senators were 14 points behind Boston for the final playoff spot in the East. Today, the gap is four points, and has been closing fast. Andrew Hammond seems to be the Sens savior in net. In seven starts, he has compiled a 6-0-1 record, sporting a .957 save percentage and a 1.35 GAA while pitching two shutouts. It's not just Hammond, though. The team as a whole has been playing much better hockey as of late, but perhaps the Hamburglar's performance has been a shot in the arm for the squad.

My questions then, are these: 1) Can the Senators continue this push and pass the somewhat flagging Bruins to capture a playoff spot? 2) Is Hammond for real? Can he keep this up, and will he be the goalie of the future in Kanata?

I don't know if Hammond is the future or not (he is certainly red hot now though), so will leave that alone...

But Sens making the playoffs?

Sure, why not.

I've always felt the Sens generally relied on pressure offense, physicality, and Houdini goaltending (Craig Anderson) to win games and make up for the sometimes gaping holes in actual defensive coverage.

Key thing here being the goaltending.

The Hamburglar certainly is giving them that to go along with Ottawa scoring timely goals and there never seems to be a shortage of physical play from these guys, and their penalty killing has been downright excellent almost all year, so yea, if the team can keep that up, they have a shot.

Boston, Florida, and Philly in front of them are certainly doing their part by staying within striking distance.

Also, looking ahead to the Sens schedule, they have quite a number of home games on there, and while their home record isn't as sparkling as some other teams' might be (but it's not horrible either), the fact the team has a relatively reduced travel schedule should help their push for a playoff spot.

And during their remaining schedule, Ottawa faces a mix of teams they need to catch, bottom feeders, and a few top teams....so they will see the full spectrum of play styles and if they do well, could be prepared for a playoff 1st round NO MATTER the opponent.

Ahh, but it will ultimately all come down to Hammond.

Future or no, I have no idea...but right now, with no Craig Anderson readily available, The Hamburglar is the PRESENT, and if I am the Sens, that is all I am worried about right now.

I just took a closer look at the Sens full remaining schedule. With one game in hand on the Bruins, and two games remaining against Boston (both on home ice, no less) Ottawa controls its own destiny. No, I don't expect to win all 20 remaining games and I know it's still a tough battle, but I didn't really expect to make the playoffs this year, so the fact that it could happen after a rough season? Wow...

Sens get a chance to take direct aim at the Bruins tomorrow night, @ScottM

You guys can get within 3.

Of course, gotta tell ya, if the Sens take their foot off the gas, so to speak, like they did against the Flames, that is just asking for trouble with Boston.

Bruins are a team that THRIVES on momentum and right now, they have a ton of it after puttin the hurtin on Detroit and Philadelphia.

I think the Sens can be every bit as physical as the Bruins can, could probably outskate them too.....but when it comes to special teams and overall defense, Ottawa will be giving up the better scoring chances I think.

They will need to rely on Hammond / Anderson more than ever in that game.

Sens have taken two of three from the B's this season though, so there is that.

Anderson looked like he absolutely lost his edge in that third period. I give the Flames a lot of credit; they mounted a terrific attack in that third period. That said, Anderson was a deer in the headlights. Maybe he just needs time to get reacclimated, but the way he played in the third period won't cut it. He was better in the overtime, and certainly in the shootout, but I think Hammond needs to be the guy right now.

Anyway, we'll be somewhere between 3 and 7 points back, so that game and the other game we have left with the B's will be vital.

@ScottM   I really like the way Stone has evolved. This guy is the real deal. Takes it strong to the net, does not back down and is has a lethal shot.

No doubt. He's on a pace for about 20 goals and 55-60 points this year, and that at just 22 years old. He was a sixth round pick. too. It seems like we had some other guy that was a sixth round pick that did okay...

No, I think it is a case of too little too late but the Senators have a lot to hang their hat on, a youth infusion at pretty much every position, the team is going the right direction.

Yeah, it got a lot tougher after last night. With a win last night, I really would've liked our chances. Not so much now. I really hope they'll put Hammond back in net, though. The team plays better with him in net, so if there's any chance of making it, it'll be with him. Plus, it would be good experience going forward.

@yave1964 I agree on the young players. I'm extremely excited to see where we go in 2 or 3 years.

@ScottM

It was a tough call for your coach. hammond had been red hot. But the old "you don't lose your job to injury" came into play..And Anderson had played well prior to that.

True enough. I just hope that Hammond will at least get some significant playing time going forward. I think it would be good for the future of the team.

Senators get another shot at those dastardly Bruins.

4 points behind, one game in hand, just under a dozen to play.

The math is in Ottawa's favor (well, the math that gives them a chance anyways), but I dunno, @ScottM , I get the feeling, if Boston makes a 4 pt lead a 6 pt one after tonight, game in hand or no, other games to play or no, your Sens may be toast, finally.

No Happy Meal for them!

So you guys really need this win!

You said so yourself "That Boston game NEEDS to be a win".

Regulation (preferred) or no...it just has to be two points for Ottawa and not the other way.

Hope you guys can do it... Go SENS GO.....GO 'Burglar GO!

Senators get another shot at those dastardly Bruins.

4 points behind, one game in hand, just under a dozen to play.

The math is in Ottawa's favor (well, the math that gives them a chance anyways), but I dunno, @ScottM , I get the feeling, if Boston makes a 4 pt lead a 6 pt one after tonight, game in hand or no, other games to play or no, your Sens may be toast, finally.

No Happy Meal for them!

So you guys really need this win!

You said so yourself "That Boston game NEEDS to be a win".

Regulation (preferred) or no...it just has to be two points for Ottawa and not the other way.

Hope you guys can do it... Go SENS GO.....GO 'Burglar GO!

We control our own destiny at this point, but doing that involves beating Boston in regulation and then winning out. Possible, but nearly impossible. I think a win tonight is almost a necessity. After that, I'll be routing for every possible slip by the B's to give us more breathing room.

@ScottM

Wow I never thought that Anderson going down would be a blessing for your boys. Unreal. Right in the middle of things, Boston, Washington and Even Detroit need to be wary.

Tough team to play against. Your boys hit and lay it on you and fight for every inch of ice every shift, the game last night against Boston was a war, it resembled a playoff game. A month ago i woulda laughed at anyone who thought that your guys were in it, now, they have a damn good chance.

@yave1964 It is a head-scratcher. The only thing I can think of is that it was a combination of the surprisingly good play from Hammond and the team realizing that if they didn't band together there was the potential for serious embarrassment. Now it seems like this thing has just taken on a life of its own.

It's not even that Anderson has played badly. He has a .925 save percentage. When they signed the long-term deal with him, I felt that it should have been Lehner that got it instead of Anderson, but he has definitely proved me wrong. I shudder to think how deep the hole we were in might have been if not for Anderson.

When I started this thread, I knew they had a chance to make the playoffs, but now I think they're actually going to make it. And like you said, the physical play in the game was reminiscent of a playoff game. They look playoff ready. I don't think anyone would want that first round draw.

See that @ScottM ?

So close you can smell it.....   ;)

Leafs, Sharks, your next two home games...very winnable....then you run into a real nemesis, the Rangers after that.

I know you said the Sens didn't "need" to beat the Rangers, but think of it, major boost if they can:

If Ottawa gets in, the Rangers may be your 1st round opponent!

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Ottawa/Montreal first rounder would be a fun, fun series especially if Neil comes back before then.

@ScottM probably knows a Neil update more than I would.

The last time the Habs and Senators played in the postseason was 2 years ago, the Sens physicaly and mentally destroyed Montreal in six games, a line brawl in, i believe game 3 in essence ended the series as the Sens simply manhandled the Canadien boys. I would LOVE that series again, as long as it is not at the expense of the Wings, lol.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Ottawa/Montreal first rounder would be a fun, fun series especially if Neil comes back before then.

@ScottM probably knows a Neil update more than I would.

The last time the Habs and Senators played in the postseason was 2 years ago, the Sens physicaly and mentally destroyed Montreal in six games, a line brawl in, i believe game 3 in essence ended the series as the Sens simply manhandled the Canadien boys. I would LOVE that series again, as long as it is not at the expense of the Wings, lol.

Not to hurt myself patting my back, but feel pretty good picking up Hammond early on.

Not to hurt myself patting my back, but feel pretty good picking up Hammond early on.

You have done a GREAT job of managing your team back into respectability. Sad that it comes down to this single week....some good competitive teams are going to be left out in the cold...and a VERY advantageous time for MD to play Finn.....this is one of the reasons why you need ALL teams playing.

You have done a GREAT job of managing your team back into respectability. Sad that it comes down to this single week....some good competitive teams are going to be left out in the cold...and a VERY advantageous time for MD to play Finn.....this is one of the reasons why you need ALL teams playing.

Yeah, some adjustments might need to be made with managers next year.   Maybe a Tampa fan living in Minnesota, for example.

That said, I'm not going to complain about MD getting to play Finn this week.  I got to play him too and he was in just as deep a slumber then.  It certainly helped me get into the position I am at the moment.

I hope he didn't go bike riding near Lake Ontario; I'd (almost) feel bad about the smarm.

What are the chances Yave leaves Nyquist off his keeper list?  :)

Archived