• Tampa Bay in 5
    • Tampa Bay in 6
    • Tampa Bay in 7
    • Detroit in 4 (Sweep)
    • Detroit in 5
    • Detroit in 6
    • Detroit in 7

@yave1964

Actually, that wager idea isn't a bad idea at all.

Losing fan has to open up a thread and state why the winning team did such a great job winning the series, and basically has to sing the praises of that team not only for that round, but why they could even beat their next opponent (not a prediction to beat the next team...just come up with positives why they COULD).

I'd be up for that. :)

I am ultra confident in the Bolts over the Wings, however, should the Wings win, I can be humble enough to admit defeat and give the Detroit devil his due, if you will ;)

As for how much Morrow and Boyle will play, true, they don't play as much as the top six guys, but when i say the Bolts roll four lines, I mean exactly that....they DO roll four lines.

On TB, the 3rd and 4th lines get a bit more ice time than a typical 3rd or 4th on other teams.

Sure it means the top six guys don't play the same amount of minutes as top six guys on other teams, but it the difference is not that big of a deal really, when you have the kind of talent the Lightning have up n down the lineup.

In fact, the way the Bolts manage things this way is pretty much imperative so that all players get a fair share of time on the ice and everyone is happy.

Now, a guy like Morrow, due to his age and wear n tear on his body from all those years as a Dallas Stars warrior, he may get your typical 9 min or so...but a guy like Boyle rates (and gets a bit more) due to the fact that he is also a very good PK man in addition to his regular duties on the 4th line, and he may on occasion get moved to the 3rd line, or even swung over to play defense, if the situation warranted it.

I suspect with the playoffs being much more intense, focused and important, that Coach Cooper will take special care to really even out the minutes for his guys to save their bodies for the long haul that is the second season and to keep everyone as focused and engaged in the game as possible.

I can't argue that Bishop is an unproven commodity at this point in time. He is unproven. Well, NOW is his chance to prove his worth in the post season. He missed the opportunity to do that last season, he is getting that and then some THIS year. Sink or swim now.

And the idea of trading Bishop and going all in with Vasileveskiy and Gudlevskis isn't a new one.

I even brought that up before on this site and on other forums.

Not that I don't believe in Bishop, but rather, because his salary will continue to rise, he is already 25 going on 26 and the Bolts have MANY young players whom they would like to keep long term that will cost them mega $$$ to do so, starting with Stamkos and moving along with the Triplets line and Hedman as well.

So, if the Bolts can get just as good goaltending in either Vasy or Gudslev at a fraction of the cost of Ben Bishop after his two years are up, then why not?

But for the here and now, Bishop is the man....though I agree he has to prove it in the post season.

But yea, let's make that bet....you and I.

Bolts win, you have to tell HF.net why the Bolts were the better team and tell everyone why they should take the next series.

Wings win, I have to swallow my pride, and make a thread praising all the things the Wings did right and why THEY could take out either Montreal or Ottawa in the next round.

Bet is on my friend...time to put your keyboard where your fingers are! :D

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Challenge accepted!!

I agree with Boyle, his type is one of my favorites, an underrated scorer who can shut down teams top lines and quietly goes about his business. Love guys like that.

Where the Wings are strongest is the defensive ability of their forwards, especially at Center. Pavel, Z, Helm and Glendening are as good or better than any group of centers in the game at playing all 200 feet on the ice. When they are rolling they are very difficult to play against. All know how to forecheck with the best of them.

I still maintain that Mrazek is the key to the series, if brilliant, Wings in 6 or 7. If not, Bolts in a route. I am whistling past the graveyard and hoping the kid comes through.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Challenge accepted!!

I agree with Boyle, his type is one of my favorites, an underrated scorer who can shut down teams top lines and quietly goes about his business. Love guys like that.

Where the Wings are strongest is the defensive ability of their forwards, especially at Center. Pavel, Z, Helm and Glendening are as good or better than any group of centers in the game at playing all 200 feet on the ice. When they are rolling they are very difficult to play against. All know how to forecheck with the best of them.

I still maintain that Mrazek is the key to the series, if brilliant, Wings in 6 or 7. If not, Bolts in a route. I am whistling past the graveyard and hoping the kid comes through.

Awesome!

As if I didn't already have a ton of interest in this series already (obviously!), THIS adds a heck of a lot more intrigue, risk, danger.....and downright gives it a "rush" feeling of do or die from a proud fan's perspective!

And those who know me in person understand I am the type of gal who isn't afraid of a bit of risk....of being a bit daring.....even at the risk of falling on my silly face...haha.

Been there, done that.....flew on the highs, slithered with the lows....but just keep on to the beat of my personal drummer.... :)

Let's go BOLTS! :cool[1]:

I don't believe numbers to be the be-all, end-all when it comes to sports, but I'd be lying if I said I NEVER look at them.

So, with that in mind, I thought I would put some charts I found regarding this series between these two teams.

Of course, once the playoffs start, it really doesn't matter who finished where and what was done during the regular season.....a team can simply turn any and all numbers on their ears.

Still though, I thought this might add a bit more color to the proceedings and flesh things out a bit more for both the Wings and Bolts...and I so so with the full understanding that the players STILL have to get things done ON the ice against their given opponent on a given night in order to be successful.

Starting with just a basic season overview comparison:

post-1129-0-53712500-1429198712_thumb.jp

Just as a broad stroke observation, looks like the Wings will need to rely on their PP, a bit better defense, and on Pavel Datsyuk in particular to stand the best chance at winning......numbers-wise anyways.

There is no stat for measuring heart and determination.  :)

Overall though, the numbers DO favor the Lightning, particularly the offense (no surprise) and the Bolts will rely on the depth of their team and, hopefully, championship caliber goaltending to see them through.

@yave1964 , @WingNut722 , @SpikeDDS 

Some updates before tonight's game.

First, for the home TB Lightning side, from the Tampa Bay Times Online:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/lightning-gains-reinforcements-from-injury-list/2225684

Looks like the Bolts WILL have the services of Alex Killorn on the forward lines as well as Andrej Sustr and Braydon Coburn on defense.

Jason Garrison is still out.

For the visiting Det Red Wings, from Michigan Live . com:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/04/red_wings_lineup_vs_lightning_2.html

It appears there will be NO Justin Abdelkader for the Wings.

This link also has projected lineups for BOTH teams with the injured players accounted for.

@yave1964 , @WingNut722 , @SpikeDDS 

Some updates before tonight's game.

First, for the home TB Lightning side, from the Tampa Bay Times Online:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/lightning-gains-reinforcements-from-injury-list/2225684

Looks like the Bolts WILL have the services of Alex Killorn on the forward lines as well as Andrej Sustr and Braydon Coburn on defense.

Jason Garrison is still out.

For the visiting Det Red Wings, from Michigan Live . com:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/04/red_wings_lineup_vs_lightning_2.html

It appears there will be NO Justin Abdelkader for the Wings.

This link also has projected lineups for BOTH teams with the injured players accounted for.

Wow Coburn and Sustr back tonight. Bades well for your Bolts.

Abdelkader and Garrison out, equivalent players tho obviously different positions.

Good luck tonight! If I get the chance I will try to get into Game chat, although the Wings are 0-4 this year when I have been in there. I know it has absolutely nothing to do with it in reality but superstition  plays a big part in sport.

Wow Coburn and Sustr back tonight. Bades well for your Bolts.

Abdelkader and Garrison out, equivalent players tho obviously different positions.

Good luck tonight! If I get the chance I will try to get into Game chat, although the Wings are 0-4 this year when I have been in there. I know it has absolutely nothing to do with it in reality but superstition  plays a big part in sport.

I only hope Sustr and Coburn aren't being rushed back.

I would think Coach Cooper and the FO would be smarter than that.

Sustr, not so much the worry, because he sorta was expected back for the opening round....but Coburn wasn't supposed to be available till at least Round 2, if the Bolts made it that far.

Of the 3 missing D-men, Jason Garrison and his cannon shot is still the biggest piece not available.

Nikita Nesterov might possibly have a comparable shot...though obviously not the experience of Garrison.

For Detroit, gotta tell ya, I am glad that Justin Abdelkader and his agitator ways isn't available to mess with some of the young Bolts' heads... :P

This does mean that Coach Babcock will be putting two very good players on the same line (Datsyuk, Zetterberg), but does that mean one of Detroit's other lines will be compromised greatly due to Datsyuk and Zetterberg being on one line as opposed to being spread out on two?

Goaltending and special teams, IMO, will still be the big key in this series.

Good luck to you as well, Yave.......oh, and on superstitions....PLEASE tell me you at least change your underwear before Wings games even if they are on a winning streak..............on second thought, don't answer that...  :lol:

All Tampa, I mean literally, every facet of the game was Tampa by a mile. Mrazek flat out stole a game that the Wings had zero business winning. None.

The question for @TropicalFruitGirl26 and all Bolt fans everywhere, who do you start in goal in game two? Could we see rookie on rookie? Bishop was what I thought he was, he lost the game absolutely as much as Mrazek won it. Hardly challenged, he gave up 3 goals on 14 shots, at least two of which would have to be considered softies. Do you go with the kid Ala Babcock or do you stick with the vet?

REALLY impressed with Brown. He hits everything and was simply flying up and down the ice. Other than Stamkos who was on a mission, Brown very well might have been the Lightning best forward. He and Boyle on a tandem were something the Wings could not counter. Filpulla did a good job out there too, but as usual, as I remember oh so well from his Detroit days he is timid and does not shoot enough. Twice today I saw him pull up and pass when he had a lane on the goalie. He has always lacked self confidence in is shooting ability which I do not understand becacuse he is a good shooter.

Hedman, my God if this is him at 90 percent I don't want to face him at 100. Cheap dive drawing a penalty on Datsyuk tho. He is better than that.

Bright spots for the Wings were Glendening who was sound all night, obviously the Magic man and Helm. Frankly they were the only three Wings who countered the speed of Tampa. And Mrazek of course. A scary thought Tampa fans, this was a very good game for him but he was not at his best. His rebound control was okay tonight, usually he is spot on. He can and will play better as the series goes on. Count on it.

Wow did we steal one tonight. They say it is not a series until the road team steals a game, well it is a series now.

All Tampa, I mean literally, every facet of the game was Tampa by a mile. Mrazek flat out stole a game that the Wings had zero business winning. None.

The question for @TropicalFruitGirl26 and all Bolt fans everywhere, who do you start in goal in game two? Could we see rookie on rookie? Bishop was what I thought he was, he lost the game absolutely as much as Mrazek won it. Hardly challenged, he gave up 3 goals on 14 shots, at least two of which would have to be considered softies. Do you go with the kid Ala Babcock or do you stick with the vet?

REALLY impressed with Brown. He hits everything and was simply flying up and down the ice. Other than Stamkos who was on a mission, Brown very well might have been the Lightning best forward. He and Boyle on a tandem were something the Wings could not counter. Filpulla did a good job out there too, but as usual, as I remember oh so well from his Detroit days he is timid and does not shoot enough. Twice today I saw him pull up and pass when he had a lane on the goalie. He has always lacked self confidence in is shooting ability which I do not understand becacuse he is a good shooter.

Hedman, my God if this is him at 90 percent I don't want to face him at 100. Cheap dive drawing a penalty on Datsyuk tho. He is better than that.

Bright spots for the Wings were Glendening who was sound all night, obviously the Magic man and Helm. Frankly they were the only three Wings who countered the speed of Tampa. And Mrazek of course. A scary thought Tampa fans, this was a very good game for him but he was not at his best. His rebound control was okay tonight, usually he is spot on. He can and will play better as the series goes on. Count on it.

Wow did we steal one tonight. They say it is not a series until the road team steals a game, well it is a series now.

Great game by Mrazek. It sure helps when your first shot is a one-hopper that you can barely see but hits you in the glove and drops at your feet. Confidence grows instantly.

I noticed no Drouin. What's up there?

@yave1964

Except for the PK. Our PK was OUTSTANDING! Of course Mrazek has something to do with that as well, but our rebound management was MUCH better than it usually is.

I thought Luke Glendening may have been the player of the game other than Mrazek. Dude was blocking shots, winning puck battles, and clearing pucks better than any of our other guys. His game winning shorty was just reward for his efforts.

Big E played a good game as well with several strong defensive plays preventing second chances.

Hard not to mention Datsyuk with his two goals as well.

But otherwise, we were VERY fortunate to win this game and you are correct that the Bolts controlled almost the entire game. Seemed like the reverse of how it has been for the Wings many times in the playoffs in past years, when we would pummel the net with shot after shot and had little to show for it, and we'd make those 1 or 2 mistakes that would cost us the game. Being on the other end of it is pretty nice! I don't think we will be able to win this series if TB continues to control the games like they did in tonight's game.

Outstanding game for Mrazek. ROBBERY!!

@yave1964

Except for the PK. Our PK was OUTSTANDING! Of course Mrazek has something to do with that as well, but our rebound management was MUCH better than it usually is.

I thought Luke Glendening may have been the player of the game other than Mrazek. Dude was blocking shots, winning puck battles, and clearing pucks better than any of our other guys. His game winning shorty was just reward for his efforts.

Big E played a good game as well with several strong defensive plays preventing second chances.

Hard not to mention Datsyuk with his two goals as well.

But otherwise, we were VERY fortunate to win this game and you are correct that the Bolts controlled almost the entire game. Seemed like the reverse of how it has been for the Wings many times in the playoffs in past years, when we would pummel the net with shot after shot and had little to show for it, and we'd make those 1 or 2 mistakes that would cost us the game. Being on the other end of it is pretty nice! I don't think we will be able to win this series if TB continues to control the games like they did in tonight's game.

Outstanding game for Mrazek. ROBBERY!!

Yes Ericsson deserves some props, really, (gulp) so does Quincey as well. He played a hard game, hitting everyone near him and didn't live in the box. It is just hard to give credit to the d-men when the goalie is facing that kind of adversity.

Something that I have seen, you as well, when a goalie shuts down a team for a couple of games in a row, the team starts pressing and starts firing everything on net which leads to easier saves for the goalie because rather than waiting for their shot, they shoot AT the goalie and not the net. The Wings have done this in the past. A young, inexperienced team like Tampa who lost 3-0 to Mrazek a few weeks ago and now 3-2 in a game when they threw everything they had at him, could easily start second guessing and pressing. Like I said the Wings have been in that boat more than once.

It is only one game, it is nice to be up 1-0 when we were outplayed so badly. It will get better.

@Podein25

A healthy scratch. 4 goals all year, nothing much down the stretch, it probably came down to him or Brown, I think Cooper guessed right. Brown was all over the place.

Thanks. Yeah Brown can skate and has more jam than Drouin. I'm still not convinced Drouin is going to be a good pro...

I thought DeKeyser played a really solid game game for such a young pro. That one chance he stopped on Kucherov (bounce pass off the boards) was a LOT more dangerous than it looked like a Danny just played it like a seasoned pro.....lot of hockey left to go here obviously, but also thought Quincey played a quiet understated game, he was solid.

Well, guys....the Wings came up with a plan, executed and Mrazek was outstanding in goal.

Ben Bishop didn't have his best game, but I don't think it warrants Coach Cooper pushing the panic button and bringing in Vasileveskiy right away.

Bishop basically got the Bolts to this point from a goalie's standpoint, he stays in.

He only saw 14 shots and his defense (Victor Hedman with a BIG let up no-no play) wasn't on task, the PP was too cute in execution.

Probably what kept Mrazek engaged was all the activity he saw.....could have had the opposite effect for Bishop.

I've seen Ben play enough to know that the busier he is, the better he is.

Not making excuses for him....he NEEDS to play better, no question....but he should be the starter for Game 2.

Outside of Bishop's play and the Bolts taking care of the puck a bit better, there isn't a whole lot different they need to do for Game 2.

They absolutely RAINED shots on Mrazek and he was money. Not a whole lot a team can do when a goalie just is on his game.

Bolts DID have him beat dead to rights on at least two distinct occasions:  a Kucherov chance where Nikita couldn't quite control the pass coming in....otherwise he had a slam dunk as Mrazek was caught out of position.....and another where a Bolts player rang a shot off the cross bar when TB was pressing hard in the 3rd.

Coulda, woulda, shouldas....yea, I know...and I take nothing away from Mrazek, but again, the Bolts just need to continue that plan (shots in bunches) and MAKE Mrazek come up with stellar efforts game in, game out.

TB can easily come up with shot hordes regularly with all their lines.....can Mrazek continue to bail out his defense game after game....35+, 40+ save performances game after game?

I say the Bolts put that young man to the test and see!

Credit Detroit's physical game, but you know what? Bolts gave them some of that too. I was very happy with TB's physical game and it didn't adversely affect their generating of offense.

Nice win for the Wings...I gave them much credit in game chat yesterday....los salude!.....but that was just Game 1 and it took everything Mrazek had, some posts, and a bit of careless play by the Bolts to get things done.

TB doesn't need to change a thing other than the two big things I mentioned....and Det BETTER come up with an encore for Game 2 ;)

@TropicalFruitGirl26

For the year:

14 shots was three lower than the Wings fired in a game all year.

46 shots allowed was the most, by three that the Wings gave up all year.

Mrazek was very good, but not great. His puck control needed work, he gave up too many second chances.

So the Wings in truth played among their worst games of the year and came out with a win.

And in truth, I think the Lightning played as good as they are capable of. They were remarkable last night.

So if they are ten percent less engaged and the Wings play THEIR game, game 2 could be a real battle.

@yave1964

You will recall, I did say Pavel Datsyuk would be one of the big keys for Detroit....and boy was he ever.

Bolts really need to lock that guy down...even if it means freeing up someone else on the Wings.

Just can't let Pavel be free n clear like they did a few times last night.

I hope his two goals scored...rather handily...will make the Bolts defense stand up and take notice that yea, he IS a major problem on the ice and needs to be neutralized.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Agree on your team's performance. I wouldn't change much.

I thought the Wings were VERY good at limiting second chances. Not so good at keeping possession once they cleared the puck, but at least got it to the outside.

I think it was Kronwall who JUST checked enough to stop that glorious chance early that you mentioned, and that really defines playoff hockey--doing just enough to limit time and space and take an easy chance a difficult one.

Certainly, the Wings cannot afford to play the next game like this one. Counting on Mrazek that much would be VERY unwise. He's gonna be a very good goaltender, but you just don't want to go to that well once too often.

One key for the Wings will be waking up the Tatar and Nyquist line. Tatar, in particular, has been playing almost like he is asleep lately! Nyquist had been coming on of late, but those two were all but negligible in their offensive contributions. They did make a few good defensive plays, coming back to help, and yes that is important. Keeping the PP going will be important too.

But most of all, just keeping the dang puck. MAN, your Bolts just looked like they were everywhere last night! I don't know what the disparity in time of possession was, but it had to be one of the biggest tilts against the Wings in a LONG time.

We also need to stay out of the box, but I also thought there were at least 2-3 calls against the Wings--in particular the DeKeyser interference call and the Helm hooking call at the end--that were EXTREMELY tricky tack! Good grief! Hard to get on the guys for taking too many penalties when they are being called like those!

Fun game to watch for fans of both teams. We have been on your side of things in the past SO many times. We know how you feel today. Robbed!

@SpikeDDS

I would absolutely no questions asked break up Magic and Z for the second game, have them both center their own line, even if we do not have Abby back. I would put Sheahan back centering the third line with Glendening who was brilliant on the fourth line, sitting Andersson and putting Pulkinnen back in the lineup. It would mean four kids, Marchenko, Pulkinnen, Ferraro and Mrazek but hey, the only way to get experience is to get experience.

Actually I take part of that back. Marchenko has a nice future but was pushed around last night, I would at least cosndier getting Smith back in the lineup. Smith has holes in his games but he is physical and might be a better match, slowing the Bolts down rather than try to play their game.

Actually I take part of that back. Marchenko has a nice future but was pushed around last night, I would at least cosndier getting Smith back in the lineup. Smith has holes in his games but he is physical and might be a better match, slowing the Bolts down rather than try to play their game.

I like what Marchenko does when he HAS the puck as compared with Smith. I like what Smith does WITHOUT the puck better, and last game was a perfect example. The Bolts forwards were getting him turning and blowing tires, producing juicy scoring chances. That's just inexperience, and Marchenko has much to learn. I still think he is going to be a very solid D-man once he gets more experience, don't get me wrong. I'm not poo-pooing Marchy. But we've gotta be honest that replacing Smith with him isn't QUITE all beneficial. We DO lose something with that substitution.

Vs. the Smith of 2 years ago, it's more of a no-brainier. As you noted, Smith is a better D-man than he was 2 years ago. Having said that, scratching him was the RIGHT coaching decision to send a message to Smith and to the boys that stupid play gets you a suit and free tickets to the press box. Now he has to decide if what Marchenko gives us is worth what we lose by replacing Smith with him.

I think Babs REALLY likes the idea of lefty-righty D a LOT, and that may push Marchy over the top to get the nod. But you are correct that the pluses and minuses make that a tough decision, and if they are close in ability, the Righty Is going to get the nod.

Archived