Steven Stamkos Confidence issues

Starsforlife56

@Starsforlife56  Welcome to the forum. It is odd that one of the best scorers on the planet has stayed dormant for the entire playoffs. He's giving full effort, just not clicking. Gotta be super frustrating for him, cause the guy is a gamer. He's probably gripping his stick so hard his knuckles are permanently white....lol. I get the feeling once the first one goes in, he will go off and get a few hat tricks.

@Starsforlife56 I welcome you as well.

I also agree with @jammer2. I think sometimes those kinds of things are little more than cycles of luck. Sometimes the luck will be on your side, and the goals just flow. Other times, luck is against you and you don't get the breaks. I think one of the toughest things about the bad luck cycles is that if they last too long, they get into the players head. But again, sometimes the relief of breaking the ice is all that's needed to swing the pendulum. There's no way a guy like Stamkos doesn't swing it back his way eventually.

Anybody else noticed this in this serious. He's right on the door step, hesident to take shots and when he does he misses badly. Hope he get it fixed I'd they advance.

In this series?

You mean, the one WHOLE ONE GAME in this series!??

Heh...I am being a smart ass...I assume you mean in these PLAYOFFS.

Not so sure you can call it confidence issues with Stamkos.

I mean, unless you actually interviewed the man, and he TOLD you he was not feeling so confident that is....

Really, Stamkos was covered like a warm winter blanket by the Red Wings.

Whether it was Pavel Datsyuk's line or whomever else.....they had Stamkos locked down.

His whole line in fact (Stamkos-Callahan-Killorn).

I suspect Montreal will be doing the same in the second round.

Not making excuses for Stamkos, mind you.

I agree 1000% that a team's 'star players' (which #91 certainly is) NEED to find ways to score, need to find ways to break through, no matter what the opposition is doing.

There is still time for him to do so.

Let's also not forget, that while Stamkos has seemingly been around for a long time, he JUST turned 25 this past Feb, and really, this playoff season is just his 3rd as a member of the Lightning....last season being very short lived in lieu of the Montreal sweep...and Stamkos BEST (at least to this point), being his 1st foray, when the Bolts made that unbelievable run in 2011 to the Conference Finals before bowing out to the eventual champion, Boston Bruins.

Again, not offering it as an excuse, but merely as an observation of his work so far in the playoffs.

He really isn't THAT experienced in post season play when you look at it as this being just his third run at it, as a guy just turning 25.

That said, yes, I do agree with the people who say that he HAS to be the team's best player.

Fortunately for him and the Lightning, he is part of a deep team that has second liners who can be first liners on other teams, and third liners who can be 2nd liners on other teams.

If the Bolts are to be serious Cup contenders, then Stamkos HAS to find a way to break through the coverage that he most definitely is having to fight through.

I wouldn't call his hesitations 'confidence issues'....but rather, like any human being, more frustrations from the fact that the Red Wings and now the Canadiens, simply will NOT give him the time and space he is accustomed to.

Like @jammer2 said, I too believe that once one goes in, more will follow........just gotta break the ice, so to speak.

And welcome to the forum, @Starsforlife56

:D

Really, Stamkos was covered like a warm winter blanket by the Red Wings.

Whether it was Pavel Datsyuk's line or whomever else.....they had Stamkos locked down.

His whole line in fact (Stamkos-Callahan-Killorn).

Well, that is the beauty of it.....there is no team with 2 elite checking lines, so cover Stammer.....and Johnson gets the match up with the non checkers....they have you either way.

Well, that is the beauty of it.....there is no team with 2 elite checking lines, so cover Stammer.....and Johnson gets the match up with the non checkers....they have you either way.

Not true.

Chicago has Toews as one elite checker, and Kruger's line as another. Kruger's line is a beastly unit defensively. Just does not score like Toews line :)

But in any case, teams without 2 elite checkers tend to match power with power. They will throw out their top offensive line against one of the two, hoping to outscore them.

Home ice advantage in determining matchup's helps a lot if coaches use it right lol.

Well, guys, now that Stamkos deposited one in the 'goals' column, let's see if the gates will truly open for him.

It won't stop the incessant coverage he gets, but perhaps now, he takes a deep breath, and let's his natural ability do its thing.

Lots of bluster about "Montreal is gonna push back strong", etc, etc....I DO expect the Habs to play like division champions, not just next game, but for the balance of the series, but the bottom line is, as long as the Lightning don't beat themselves, take care of the puck, and play with urgency, the Canadiens will be hard pressed to keep up with them.

Steve Stamkos, now that you got your first goal of these playoffs, feel free to continue to take shots at Carey Price....with a more relaxed mindset, I am sure you can NOW see plays you were just missing before!

Chicago has Toews as one elite checker, and Kruger's line as another. Kruger's line is a beastly unit defensively. Just does not score like Toews line :)

Yeah, but such a beast does not exist in the Eastern Conference....so the Bolts would not have to deal with that until a potential SC match up....and a long way to go before that can be even thought of.

• 4 weeks later...

@J0e Th0rnton

Yeah, but such a beast does not exist in the Eastern Conference....so the Bolts would not have to deal with that until a potential SC match up....and a long way to go before that can be even thought of.

Spoke a bit to soon, perhaps??  LOL!

I guess I'd make a bad counselor. I'd probably have to sit and talk to folks and listen to their thoughts and feelings in order to tell if they're having personal problems. If I was any good, I'd be able to tell from watching TV.

• 3 weeks later...

Jon Cooper hasn't utilized Stamkos properly at times. I remember Ben Bishop taking an interference call and Stamkos sat it for him... Maybe against the Red Wings? I don't remember off the top of my head. This was also Stamkos' second time in the playoffs with the weight of the team on his shoulders due to that "C" on his chest. I think given a few years Stamkos will start to play with more confidence in the playoffs than in the regular season but that's just my biased opinion.

Thankfully Cooper moved him to the wing which is probably the best decision I've seen him make in a long time. Give Stamkos room and let him make plays. I'd rather see Stammer on the wing than center. Once again just my opinion.

Archived