Do the Wild thing- Minnesota Wild year in review

yave1964

391142225747_1.jpgPRESEASON EXPECTATIONS: After a nice postseason run, defeating the Avalanche before bwoing to the Hawks for the second straight year, again the Wild made a splash, retaining Pomminville and signing Vanek. Hopes were high.

FINAL RECORD: 46-28-8 100 points 6th in the West.

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR: A wretched start where absolutely nothing went right. Harding was lost at the start of the year, Backstrom was beyond bad, Kuemper showed why most scouts have him rated as a backup/AHL goalie. The low point came on January 13th when Backstrom was torched by the Penguins 7-2 and the team, well out of the race fell to 18-19-5, just five days after coach Mike Yeo had a meltdown on the team over their effort.

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR: The next day they gave up a second rounder for Devan Dubnyk, and the rest, as they say, is history. Dubnyk was just ridiculously good, with a shutout in his first start for the Wild, and carrying the team on his back, the Wild going 28-9-2 from then on.

WHAT WENT RIGHT: Well Start with Dubnyk who went 36-14-4 between the Wild and Coyotes with a .929 save pct. Zach Parisem9BVkxIOxDwqwNb_fiWvNRw.jpg led the way with 33 goals. Ryan Suter played ridiculous minutes in all situations and was very good, Nino Niedereiter had 24 goals. Coyle and Granlund showed flashes. Zucker had 21 goals in 51 games. Marco Scandella showed a heavy shot to go along with being a heavy hitter. Dumba didn't embarrass himself at the top level.

WHAT WENT WRONG: Vanek and Pomminville didn't put up horrible stats but they no way no how put up numbers that justified their contracts. Koivu was horrible early and came on a bit in the second half but was arguably the worst number one center in hockey. Kuemper was at best inconsistent, Backstrom was just bad.

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR: Ryan Suter was 4th on the team with 150 shots but got only a measly 2 goals, having the worst shooting percentage in hockey among goal scorers at 1.3 percent.

UFAs:

Ryan Carter

Prosser

Bergenheim

Chris Stewart

Leopold

Dubnyk

Harding (retired)

TOP PROSPECTS FOR 2015-16:

Dumba played a lot this year but will move into a top four or even top pair role next year and big things are expected. A very weak system, as the final record of the woeful Iowa Wild will testify to.

OFFSEASON QUESTION MARKS: How much is it going to cost to retain Dubnyk, and do you pay the price? Do you believe his magnificent half a year of hockey was the real deal or do you let someone else pay the big bucks and sign a lower priced vet? Can they find a true number one center?

391142225747_1.jpgPRESEASON EXPECTATIONS: After a nice postseason run, defeating the Avalanche before bwoing to the Hawks for the second straight year, again the Wild made a splash, retaining Pomminville and signing Vanek. Hopes were high.

FINAL RECORD: 46-28-8 100 points 6th in the West.

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR: A wretched start where absolutely nothing went right. Harding was lost at the start of the year, Backstrom was beyond bad, Kuemper showed why most scouts have him rated as a backup/AHL goalie. The low point came on January 13th when Backstrom was torched by the Penguins 7-2 and the team, well out of the race fell to 18-19-5, just five days after coach Mike Yeo had a meltdown on the team over their effort.

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR: The next day they gave up a second rounder for Devan Dubnyk, and the rest, as they say, is history. Dubnyk was just ridiculously good, with a shutout in his first start for the Wild, and carrying the team on his back, the Wild going 28-9-2 from then on.

WHAT WENT RIGHT: Well Start with Dubnyk who went 36-14-4 between the Wild and Coyotes with a .929 save pct. Zach Parisem9BVkxIOxDwqwNb_fiWvNRw.jpg led the way with 33 goals. Ryan Suter played ridiculous minutes in all situations and was very good, Nino Niedereiter had 24 goals. Coyle and Granlund showed flashes. Zucker had 21 goals in 51 games. Marco Scandella showed a heavy shot to go along with being a heavy hitter. Dumba didn't embarrass himself at the top level.

WHAT WENT WRONG: Vanek and Pomminville didn't put up horrible stats but they no way no how put up numbers that justified their contracts. Koivu was horrible early and came on a bit in the second half but was arguably the worst number one center in hockey. Kuemper was at best inconsistent, Backstrom was just bad.

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR: Ryan Suter was 4th on the team with 150 shots but got only a measly 2 goals, having the worst shooting percentage in hockey among goal scorers at 1.3 percent.

UFAs:

Ryan Carter

Prosser

Bergenheim

Chris Stewart

Leopold

Dubnyk

Harding (retired)

TOP PROSPECTS FOR 2015-16:

Dumba played a lot this year but will move into a top four or even top pair role next year and big things are expected. A very weak system, as the final record of the woeful Iowa Wild will testify to.

OFFSEASON QUESTION MARKS: How much is it going to cost to retain Dubnyk, and do you pay the price? Do you believe his magnificent half a year of hockey was the real deal or do you let someone else pay the big bucks and sign a lower priced vet? Can they find a true number one center?

4.5 to 5 million x 5. Not only did he play well for the Wild. He played well i front of a putrid Arizona team. Well enough for a bigger raise? Maybe. But I think this is where they will land

Dubnyk came in and made the routine stops, as well as some awesome game saving moments on occasion. The team was obviously suffering from Niemi Syndrome. A goalie who cannot make the routine stops makes the team hold their sticks tighter and play not to lose instead of playing to win. Hold a lead instead of increasing it becomes the mentality. Sit back ad protect the goalie because he fails on normal easy stops. That is no way to play

Saw such a dramatic turnaround when they had a goalie who could make the routine stops AND a few great stops instead of Kuemper/Backstrom giving up those backbreakers. The team did not trust their goaltending and it showed. They definitely trusted Dybnyk as soon as he showed they can play in front of him without worrying overmuch and played much more confidently. You could see the better execution from the get go.

4.5 to 5 million x 5. Not only did he play well for the Wild. He played well i front of a putrid Arizona team. Well enough for a bigger raise? Maybe. But I think this is where they will land

Dubnyk came in and made the routine stops, as well as some awesome game saving moments on occasion. The team was obviously suffering from Niemi Syndrome. A goalie who cannot make the routine stops makes the team hold their sticks tighter and play not to lose instead of playing to win. Hold a lead instead of increasing it becomes the mentality. Sit back ad protect the goalie because he fails on normal easy stops. That is no way to play

Saw such a dramatic turnaround when they had a goalie who could make the routine stops AND a few great stops instead of Kuemper/Backstrom giving up those backbreakers. The team did not trust their goaltending and it showed. They definitely trusted Dybnyk as soon as he showed they can play in front of him without worrying overmuch and played much more confidently. You could see the better execution from the get go.

tumblr_mjuz914oiR1r65pkdo1_250.gif

@yave1964

Overall, despite the 4-game sweep ending, I must say I was satisfied with this year's edition of the Minnesota Wild.

I still do believe that they are an improvement over what has been iced the last several years and really, can only go up from here.

The critical thing for them will be which young players they will put their money behind moving forward....as well has how they handle their goaltending situation.

Some interesting RFA choices will need to be made and one or the other, one of Backstrom, Kuemper, or Dubnyk will NOT be returning.

Backstrom is the biggest hit on the cap, but holds the least value as a trade piece, Kuemper still holds potential, but one has to wonder if he will ever have Mike Yeo's full trust again.....yet he MIGHT be an interesting trade piece, if the Wild don't expect a ton in return.

Dubnyk of course, is a UFA, whether he stays or goes will come down to numbers and tenure.

For better or worse, the Wild have Parise, Koivu, Pomminville, Coyle over the long haul on the forward lines...along with two more seasons of Vanek.

On defense, they have Suter, Brodin, and Scandella long term...but you KNOW the Wild are gonna have to fit in Mat Dumba in there somewhere...he will be entering his final year before being an RFA.

I fully expect the team to contend once again next year...but I gotta say, unlike the last couple years, the "future" no longer is on the horizon.

The future is NOW for these guys.

The Wild have an open window to win, with big money guys in their primes and young players coming into their own....they just need to make deep playoff runs and hopefully come up with a Cup sooner than later.

@yave1964

Overall, despite the 4-game sweep ending, I must say I was satisfied with this year's edition of the Minnesota Wild.

I still do believe that they are an improvement over what has been iced the last several years and really, can only go up from here.

The critical thing for them will be which young players they will put their money behind moving forward....as well has how they handle their goaltending situation.

Some interesting RFA choices will need to be made and one or the other, one of Backstrom, Kuemper, or Dubnyk will NOT be returning.

Backstrom is the biggest hit on the cap, but holds the least value as a trade piece, Kuemper still holds potential, but one has to wonder if he will ever have Mike Yeo's full trust again.....yet he MIGHT be an interesting trade piece, if the Wild don't expect a ton in return.

Dubnyk of course, is a UFA, whether he stays or goes will come down to numbers and tenure.

For better or worse, the Wild have Parise, Koivu, Pomminville, Coyle over the long haul on the forward lines...along with two more seasons of Vanek.

On defense, they have Suter, Brodin, and Scandella long term...but you KNOW the Wild are gonna have to fit in Mat Dumba in there somewhere...he will be entering his final year before being an RFA.

I fully expect the team to contend once again next year...but I gotta say, unlike the last couple years, the "future" no longer is on the horizon.

The future is NOW for these guys.

The Wild have an open window to win, with big money guys in their primes and young players coming into their own....they just need to make deep playoff runs and hopefully come up with a Cup sooner than later.

Spurgeon up for sale?

Sharks would LOVE to have him

@yave1964

Nice write up as usual.   :)

I think the surprise of the year was not only that Dumba played in the NHL to hold a roster spot, but how well he played.  Dumba played well enough to earn a top line roster spot with Suter next year. imo  Really talented kid.

I do think both Dubnyk and the Wild want a contract for next season and Backstrom can be bought out, but the Wild signed him to an odd contract where he is paid the most in his last year.  Something is up with that? Maybe the NMC drops in his last season??  Probably wishful thinking, but I can see the guy being placed on the LTIR somehow during the preseason.     http://www.generalfanager.com/players/1017

I thought Stewart played well for them and the Vanek signing was a waste.  He has a NMC so the Wild brass will need to lick their wounds.  

It will be interesting to see what Granlund makes as for the most part he centers the 1st line with Parise and Pomminville.    I also think Brodziak is worthwhile to bring back.  

@yave1964

Nice write up as usual.   :)

I think the surprise of the year was not only that Dumba played in the NHL to hold a roster spot, but how well he played.  Dumba played well enough to earn a top line roster spot with Suter next year. imo  Really talented kid.

I do think both Dubnyk and the Wild want a contract for next season and Backstrom can be bought out, but the Wild signed him to an odd contract where he is paid the most in his last year.  Something is up with that? Maybe the NMC drops in his last season??  Probably wishful thinking, but I can see the guy being placed on the LTIR somehow during the preseason.     http://www.generalfanager.com/players/1017

I thought Stewart played well for them and the Vanek signing was a waste.  He has a NMC so the Wild brass will need to lick their wounds.  

It will be interesting to see what Granlund makes as for the most part he centers the 1st line with Parise and Pomminville.    I also think Brodziak is worthwhile to bring back.  

This is why I am wondering is Spurgeon will become available via trade.

Thomas Vanish for worst contract of the season

@J0e Th0rnton@hf101

Like the Thomas Vanish comment, too funny!!

That said, I want to defend him a bit, as well as the other wingers, Pomminville, Parise ect....

This team needs a center badly, as in the worst possible way. The money spent on signing Vanek was wasted because they have zero setup men, as in none as in nobody to set it up for them to knock it down.

Koivu is older, slipping and eroding. Granlund is proving to be a third liner. Coyle is a winger forced to play center.

Koivu could be a solid number two, Granlund a solid number three. They are out of position and killed this team this year.

If Parise and Vanek were joined on the top line by a real first line center they would be a contender for the cup. If they go into next season without addressing one of the absolute most glaring weaknesses in hockey, they are Hawk Bait again.

@J0e Th0rnton@hf101

Like the Thomas Vanish comment, too funny!!

That said, I want to defend him a bit, as well as the other wingers, Pomminville, Parise ect....

This team needs a center badly, as in the worst possible way. The money spent on signing Vanek was wasted because they have zero setup men, as in none as in nobody to set it up for them to knock it down.

Koivu is older, slipping and eroding. Granlund is proving to be a third liner. Coyle is a winger forced to play center.

Koivu could be a solid number two, Granlund a solid number three. They are out of position and killed this team this year.

If Parise and Vanek were joined on the top line by a real first line center they would be a contender for the cup. If they go into next season without addressing one of the absolute most glaring weaknesses in hockey, they are Hawk Bait again.

I should jump in an do the customary Flyer response.

VLC to Minny e4.

Realistically, I don't know who the wild could get a #1 center from except from the blues, who may need to ship someone. Backes for Niederreiter?

The first priority has to be securing Dubnyk long term. This would not have been a playoff team without his stellar last half of the season after he came over from the Yotes. This is an absolute must. He has some great leverage being UFA, but the goalie situation looks bleak without Devin in the picture. The often injured Backstrom and inconsistent Keumper duo would not equal a playoff spot. The need for a scoring #1 center is pretty obvious. Like many have stated, Granlund looks more and more like a nice #2 center in the long run.

Just throwing this out there,  but the Leafs have Nylander coming in this year, and many think Kadri's style will not be a good fit for a Babcock run team. How about a Leafs/Wild trade with the major pieces being Kadri to the Wild and Keumper to the Leafs....might work out well for both teams. The Leafs badly need a goalie upgrade. I'm not sure how much better Darcy would be over Bernier, but at least it gives them more options and Darcy is still young with upside, plus he would be playing under a more responsible version of the Babcock led Leafs. Kadri would benefit from having more complete wingers around him and a Yeo system that would help him grow as a player.

• 2 months later...

Devan Dubnyk was definitely the team MVP and pretty much the savior of this team last year. I really think if they can add a top notch Center into this mix they could go even farther then last year. They really need to set the bar this year all the way to the top and come out of the gates strong. In my opinion they have the team to make it to th Stanley Cup finals.

Archived