Friedman: "barring major collapse" in talks, Todd McLellan will be next Oilers head coach

JR Ewing

As per the title:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/friedman-mclellan-to-coach-oilers-barring-major-breakdown/

Or, via online article, in case Americans are geo-blocked:

a Sportsnet phone interview on Brady & Walker with the well-connected Elliotte Friedman on the Edmonton Oilers being almost certain to sign Todd McLellan as their new head coach.

McLellan is currently coaching Team Canada at the World Championships in Prague. Oilers Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall are playing for him there.

Said Friedman: “As far as I know there’s no signature. Until there is a signature anything can happen. Some other team can run in there and say, ‘I’ll pay you 50 grand more than Edmonton, or 100 grand more, whatever.

“The Edmonton Oilers, if Todd McLellan is the coach, and I think he will be, you don’t want to make the announcement while he’s coaching in Prague. You want to do it when he’s back in Edmonton. Look, there are people who are a lot more knowledgeable than I am who think that the deal is going to get done. So that’s kind of what I base it on. I think it’s going to get done barring a major collapse.”

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2015/05/13/todd-mclellan-to-become-new-edmonton-oilers-coach-barring-a-major-collapse-in-negotiations-says-sportsnets-friedman/

If so, this is another off-season upgrade for Edmonton.

Love the signing. The team hasn't made a personnel move yet and they are already 10 points better in the standings. I like it a lot better than the move to bring in Chiarelli in. But overall, the team seems to finally be going the right direction, not even counting McJesus.

Well, let's look at the checklist shall we?

---Top flight young forwards on team......Check

---Rabid fanbase.......... Check

---Built in rivalry with Calgary who is also on the rise........ Check

---New GM that understands the importance of goaltending and defense..... Check

---New head coach who has had success with a dynamic offense and can coach a perennial playoff team.... Check

Did I miss anything, @JR Ewing ?

I didn't bother mentioning things like assistant coaches, special teams coaches, etc, because I assume the head coach will want people he feels comfortable with....and if the FO is comfortable with McClellan, then they should be ok with his preferences for those other positions.

Seems what the Oilers are missing now would be a legit number one goalie, a legit number one defenseman, and a productive grinder or two.

Whaddya say?

Love the signing. The team hasn't made a personnel move yet and they are already 10 points better in the standings. I like it a lot better than the move to bring in Chiarelli in. But overall, the team seems to finally be going the right direction, not even counting McJesus.

Yeah, I think it's very much a quality signing by Chiarelli, and I guess it doesn't hurt that Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle have been gushing over McLellan when asked about their experiences with him at the World Championships. Todd Nelson was an upgrade over Dallas Eakins, but McLellan is (imo) a pretty clear upgrade in terms of experience and track record over Nelson. Also, this goes a long way towards stopping the coaching carousel which has hurt the team.

Well, let's look at the checklist shall we?

---Top flight young forwards on team......Check

---Rabid fanbase.......... Check

---Built in rivalry with Calgary who is also on the rise........ Check

---New GM that understands the importance of goaltending and defense..... Check

---New head coach who has had success with a dynamic offense and can coach a perennial playoff team.... Check

Did I miss anything, @JR Ewing ?

I didn't bother mentioning things like assistant coaches, special teams coaches, etc, because I assume the head coach will want people he feels comfortable with....and if the FO is comfortable with McClellan, then they should be ok with his preferences for those other positions.

Seems what the Oilers are missing now would be a legit number one goalie, a legit number one defenseman, and a productive grinder or two.

Whaddya say?

I'd say that's pretty close, and that it's also a pretty big shopping list left.  In fairness to Craig MacTavish, I think that he has a belief in the importance of goaltending and defense. The problem is that, to judge by the verbal as well as player movement, he doesn't have the best grasp in how to judge talent in those areas. It's too bad, because he can definitely spot a forward to fill a specific role, even back to his coaching days.

The two-way depth that can move up and down the batting order is probably already in-house in the form of Anton Lander, though he may get a chance to play with Taylor Hall and Connor McDavid. Hall is NOT a centre. It's been tried and he was never comfortable with it. McDavid's use in Erie has been as a winger in his zone, and a centre from his blueline and out, so if the Oilers want to use him in this way (and it's NOT a bad idea with such a young player) they'll need a guy with a defensive conscience in his own end but can keep up offensively at the other end. Lander could be perfect in that role.

This far along and I am still surprised nobody made a joke about TMac being used to "Major collapse".

Some Sharks fans are taking it harder than others lol. Some posts I found....

You know, I don't hate Tmac but I probably won't cheer when he returns. I appreciate all the hard work and effort he put in, but this feels like being dumped. Yes, we both knew this was going nowhere anymore and it was time to move on, but no need to immediately get with a girl 10 years younger.

What was he supposed to do? Sit at home eating Haagen-Dasz right out of the container and crying while wondering why Doug Wilson doesn't call to take him back?

:lol:

Archived