Old Flames can't hold a candle- Flames year in review

yave1964

m6z-6IO_-rTI1XdpKs7zVpw.jpgPRESEASON OUTLOOK: Bob Hartley has made strides with the team, nobody seriously thought they were going to compete for a playoff spot in the rugged West but the hope was with better netminding they would be competitive nightly.

FINAL RECORD: 45-30-7 97 points 8th place in the West knocking out defending champs the Kings.

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR:

After a hot start (12-6-2) they started losing more than they won, slipping to .500 at 21-18-3 at roughly the halfway point after losing 6-5 to the offensively anemic Panthers on January 9th. Still a nice story but nobody really thought even at that late a date that they were a playoff contender.

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR: Everything else. From then on they went 24-12-4 even af

351396218271_1.jpgter losing their best player Mark Giordano for the year. And then they beat the Canucks in the first round, even winning a home game against the Mighty Ducks before bowing out.

WHAT WENT RIGHT: If you go to bed early and do not watch the Flames, you did not see Sean Monahan develop into aa flat out stud (331-31-62) rewarding Hartley's confidence with amazing play in all zones, all situations. Johnny Gaudreau (4-40-64) is up for the Calder trophy. The Soul of the team though might have been little Happy Hudler who carried the team on his back down the stretch after losing norris candidate Giordano for the year. Hudler (31-45-76) was a monster in the second half. Lance Bouma provided secondary scoring and hard hitting. The forwards were all in sync buying into Hartley's system. The netminding improved dramatically with Hiller, Ramo and a touch of Ortio.

But the play of Wideman, Giordano, Russell and Brodie from the back end carried the team. Frankly the forwards lack some serious umph other than the first line, the big four pinched in providing offense and covering for each other preventing odd man rushes all year.

WHAT WENT WRONG: Setoguchi was given 12 games to prove his skill is gone before being exiled. Ladislav Smid was awful in the bottom pair. Engelland and Bollig who came over as free agents were non factors at best. Stajan, Raymond, Backlund and David Jones who were counted on to provide secondary scoring were at the least minor disappointments.

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR: Go west young man! Believe it or not, the Flames (31-16-3 65 points) had the best record against the Western conference of anyone. They did this by absolutely owning the Pacific Division going 22-6-1.

UFAs:

Ramo

Raphael Diaz

TOP PROSPECTS FOR 2015-16:

Sam Bennett may be the early Calder candidate not named McDavid or Eichel. Markus Granlund got his feet wet and should land a top nine role next year. Jon Gillies may take Ramo's backup tender role if he moves on. Lots of bodies who could take a job if given a chance, like Agostino, Wotherspoon and Ferland. A very deep, dangerous organization.

OFFSEASON QUESTIONS: Do you count on the kids to provide secondary scoring or sign a veteran or two? Is Bennett he next Gaudreau/Monahan? Is Hiller and a kid enough in net or do you sign a vet?

Calgary Flames....

The new Colorado Avalanche from 2013/2014

I respectfully might disagree with this one.

The Avalanche are LOADED with young forwards but the defense is pedestrian at best and the farm system is lacking, and they have a top shelf netminder.

The Flames are loaded on the back end with one top line and a pedestrian bunch of forwards other than that, but have a fantastic farm system.

If you mean it was a fluky year and the Flames will fall back to the pack ala the 'Lanche from this year, well, maybe, but I really like what the Flames are building, I think that after the decision to finally blow up the roster and send Iggie and the rest packing and Kipper retiring that they have done a remarkable job of getting back into the discussion really quick. I cannot say enough about how much respect that I have for Coach Hartley and the job that he has done with these kids to get them NHL ready and taking advantage of the talent that they have to make them competitive. They may slip back next year but I think they are built right for the long haul.

I like what I see with the Flames as well. I'm not really sure what I'd do about the goaltending. I think Hiller and Ramo are capable of playing well enough to help the team compete, but I don't really think they'll steal a lot of games for you. I think I would try to sign a couple of veterans, but Gaudreau and Monahan give a great foundation for an offense that could be together for some time. Gaudreau might as well be the second coming of Martin St. Louis, based on the way this season looked. If I'm a Calgarian, I'm pretty excited about my team. I think they have a coach who's more than capable of developing the youngsters. If I were to guess, they'll have another good year this coming season. I'd dare say they even improve on it a bit. Unless something changes, they're in the weakest division in hockey. As mentioned in the original post, they dominated it this year, and I see no reason to think that they won't do so again.

I third the Flames nice upcoming season. Like yave said, we all knew the Av's defense was suspect, pretty well making the whole thing a collapsing house of cards. The Flames though....they have no such issues. Their defense is tough, dependable and speedy. These Flames gave the Ducks all they could handle...AND....let's not forget that they accomplished all of that without would have been Norris candidate Giordano's, who was out for the playoffs. I think Wideman was one of the smarter under the radar pick ups last summer, Boston's loss was the Flames gain. Who knows how high of a ceiling Broadie has, but he looked like a star at times last year. Johnny Hockey had a great rookie year.....and Monahan is just a born natural leader.....he is poised to post some SICK numbers next year. Kid as next star written all over him.

I third the Flames nice upcoming season. Like yave said, we all knew the Av's defense was suspect, pretty well making the whole thing a collapsing house of cards. The Flames though....they have no such issues. Their defense is tough, dependable and speedy. These Flames gave the Ducks all they could handle...AND....let's not forget that they accomplished all of that without would have been Norris candidate Giordano's, who was out for the playoffs. I think Wideman was one of the smarter under the radar pick ups last summer, Boston's loss was the Flames gain. Who knows how high of a ceiling Broadie has, but he looked like a star at times last year. Johnny Hockey had a great rookie year.....and Monahan is just a born natural leader.....he is poised to post some SICK numbers next year. Kid as next star written all over him.

Arguably the Flames in 2014-15 had:

The best coach in hockey Hartley

The best rookie: Gaudreau

The Best sophomore: Monahan

The best defenseman: Giordano

Throw in Bennett who looked like a stud, a sick defense and cap room to add another top six forward, I absolutely love this team.

I respectfully might disagree with this one.

The Avalanche are LOADED with young forwards but the defense is pedestrian at best and the farm system is lacking, and they have a top shelf netminder.

The Flames are loaded on the back end with one top line and a pedestrian bunch of forwards other than that, but have a fantastic farm system.

If you mean it was a fluky year and the Flames will fall back to the pack ala the 'Lanche from this year, well, maybe, but I really like what the Flames are building, I think that after the decision to finally blow up the roster and send Iggie and the rest packing and Kipper retiring that they have done a remarkable job of getting back into the discussion really quick. I cannot say enough about how much respect that I have for Coach Hartley and the job that he has done with these kids to get them NHL ready and taking advantage of the talent that they have to make them competitive. They may slip back next year but I think they are built right for the long haul.

Yea, thats kinda what I ment. There are a few reasons why i think Flames wont be as good next year.

Gaudreau could always have a sophomore slump, just look at Nathan Mackinnon and Tomas Hertl this year....not too impressive...

And Jiri Hudler's efforts was one of the main reasons the Flames could still hold it together during the second half of the season. However, he was clearly having a career year, since he has never come close to that kind of production before. Nearly 20 more points than his second best year, it is quite unlikely he comes close to that production again.

most importantly though, will Giordano stay be able to stay healthy throughout the entire year? since 2011, he has not been able to play more than 64 games. And i find that quite unfortunate, since he is losing alot of full season prime years.

Ofc, its not Crosby bad, but its still something to take into consideration. And will he be as good as last year? it was his best year yet and he had similiar stats last year, but the injuries he has sustained could hold him back from being as good next year.

Throw in Bennett who looked like a stud, a sick defense and cap room to add another top six forward, I absolutely love this team.

Let's not forget the kid that carried Providence College to a national title in Jon Gilles....outdueling they much more heralded O'Connor from BU that Ottawa signed...i think this kid is going to be good. A nice find with a 3rd round pick....how come my damn Flyers can't find a kid like this.

Yea, thats kinda what I ment. There are a few reasons why i think Flames wont be as good next year.

Gaudreau could always have a sophomore slump, just look at Nathan Mackinnon and Tomas Hertl this year....not too impressive...

And Jiri Hudler's efforts was one of the main reasons the Flames could still hold it together during the second half of the season. However, he was clearly having a career year, since he has never come close to that kind of production before. Nearly 20 more points than his second best year, it is quite unlikely he comes close to that production again.

most importantly though, will Giordano stay be able to stay healthy throughout the entire year? since 2011, he has not been able to play more than 64 games. And i find that quite unfortunate, since he is losing alot of full season prime years.

Ofc, its not Crosby bad, but its still something to take into consideration. And will he be as good as last year? it was his best year yet and he had similiar stats last year, but the injuries he has sustained could hold him back from being as good next year.

Yeah, but Gaudreau could be even better next year. There's no guarantee of a sophomore slump.

You may be right about Hudler. I'm wait and see on him.

Your Giordano point would be my biggest concern from Calgary's standpoint. They survived his absence this year, but who knows about next year if it happens again. I do have one quibble with your comments on him though. While it is true that he hasn't played more than 64 games in a few seasons, he played 47 out of 48 games in the lockout year, so that should be noted.

Flames should be good to go for next year.

Not only a solid core group of young players, but they do have a system in place and are building the team from the ground up the right way.

No shortcuts....no trying to hit 'home runs' on draft picks, then signing some vet to some crazy salary with hopes that vet will get them to a Cup THAT same year.

These guys look like they are building for long term success.

On the flipside, you take a team like Edmonton that appeared to have wanted to build by amassing a bunch of talent upfront, put little else in other areas, and think that would be enough.

The Oilers, with new management and a new coach, SHOULD see things different now (I hope so)....but Calgary here...well, they have been "getting it" for a while now.

Even when they were bad after Kiprosoff retired and guys like Iginla were traded away, they played within a system and team identity....they just weren't good enough personnel wise to do anything with it.

Now they are sowing the seeds for good success consistently...not just for the odd year here and there.

Flames DO need an upgrade in goal, however.

As decently as Berra and/or Ramo have played, those guys simply aren't steady NHL number one's, much less goalies that will lead the Flames to a championship.

Not sure where that number one will come from just yet...whether they have to grow their own, or acquire him somehow, but that should be the area of most concern for this team.

Other things, experience will take care of.

Also, staying away from stupid contracts that may hinder the franchise long term.

Future looks pretty bright for the foreseeable.

Flames did well this year (finished in the bottom half of the playoff teams in the West record-wise), and that is about right, or maybe even a hair above where they SHOULD have been at this stage of development.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did it again next year....though most likely still not Cup ready next season.

• 1 month later...

Here is a review of a solid draft with not a lot of picks......

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/126531/2015-nhl-draft-calgary-flames-draft-review/

2015 NHL Draft: Calgary Flames draft review

Rasmus Andersson, D, Barrie Colts (OHL)
2nd round, 43th overall
Height: 6-0 Weight: 212 lbs

The Flames had to wait for the second day to make their first selection in 2015 draft and they continued the trend of boosting their defense by selecting Rasmus Andersson from the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League. Andersson, a native of Malmo, Sweden, is a strong two-way defender who made a smooth transition in his first OHL season. Andersson finished the regular season as the top scoring defenseman for Barrie with 64 points in 67 games. The puck moving rearguard made his playmaking skills apparent with the 52 assists he provided during the year.

The 18-year-old is a promising package for the Flames, given his strong defensive game and offensive upside. At 6’0 and 212 pounds, Andersson carries a solid frame with a right-handed shot. He has the time and the ability to continue to develop his game. Most recently he received an invitation to attend Sweden’s World Junior summer camp and will make his first Flames appearance at their upcoming development camp.

Oliver Kylington, D, Färjestad BK Karlstad (SHL)
2nd round, 60th overall
Height: 6-0 Weight: 180 lbs

GM Treliving completed his second trade of the draft by sending two third-round picks (76th and 83rd overall) to the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for the 60th pick overall in order to select Oliver Kylington. The 18-year-old defender entered the draft as the sixth-ranked European skater but at the midseason point held the top ranked spot in the Central Scouting European rankings. Needless to say, Kylington’s skating is the strong point of his game, and when the opportunity was made available for GM Treliving to move up and draft him, the Flames could not pass up the option to add another promising blueline prospect to their system.

Last season, Kylington recorded five points in 18 games with his main club Farjestad of the Swedish Hockey League, while adding another seven points in 17 games for AIK (Swe-1). Kylington recently took closer steps to bringing his game to North America after being drafted by the Brandon Wheat Kings 60th overall in the 2015 CHL Import Draft. Though as a European draft pick, he has several options for next season, Calgary no doubt is eager to see what he can do on the North American ice sheet. The addition of Kylington could prove to be another worthwhile trade the Flames completed in the 2015 draft to bolster their defense for the future.

Pavel Karnaukhov, LW/C, Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
5th round, 136th overall
Height: 6-3 Weight: 194 lbs

Calgary remained with a local player when they drafted Pavel Karnaukhov from the Calgary Hitmen. A native of Minsk, Belarus, Karnaukhov completed his first season in North American action with 42 points in 69 games for the Hitmen. As the season progressed, Karnaukhov gained more confidence with his game and carried over the momentum into the playoffs where he produced 11 points in 17 games, which included three power play goals. During the regular season, Karnaukhov also led the Hitmen with ten power play goals.

Although there are still areas of his game to develop, Karnaukhov holds considerable potential given his size and his ability to play at the wing and at center. Karnaukhov finished tied for seventh in WHL rookie scoring for the regular season and third overall in rookie scoring for the playoffs.

Andrew Mangiapane, LW, Barrie Colts (OHL)
6th round, 166th overall
Height: 5-10 Weight: 170 lbs

Mangiapane entered the 2014-15 campaign as a determined player after going undrafted in the 2014 NHL draft, as a result he more than doubled his point total in the process. The 19-year-old finished 8th in OHL scoring with 104 points in 68 games for the Barrie Colts, which is significantly more than the 51 points he scored in the same amount of games during his rookie season.

Going undrafted in 2014 wasn’t a new experience for Mangiapane who previously went undrafted in the OHL draft and joined the Barrie Colts as a free agent after an impressive 2013 training camp. Despite the disappointments, Mangiapane remained positive and coincidentally shares the same experience with Flames’ captain Mark Giordano, who also went undrafted a decade earlier in the 2004 NHL draft.

As a strong skater for his size and a talented player maker, Mangiapane has the on-ice skills to become another promising forward for the Flames. However his mental strength and determination to achieve his goals could become the difference maker if he is to elevate to the level that Giordano has been able to achieve.

Riley Bruce, D, North Bay Battalion (OHL)
7th round, 196th overall
Height: 6-6 Weight 205 lbs

With their final pick in the 2015 draft, the Calgary Flames finished the same way they started it: by bolstering their blue line with the selection. 17-year-old Riley Bruce is considered a stay-at-home defender and provides another big body for the Flames’ defensive unit with a valuable right-hand shot. At 6’6 and 200-pounds, Bruce is a project to develop physically however he has a keen hockey IQ and plays a smart positional game which will be key to combine as he continues to grow. In two OHL seasons with the North Bay Battalion, Bruce has recorded seven points in 109 games while improving his plus-minus rating during the same period.

I think they did well with not a lot....pair it with Hamilton a good offseason so far....

@OccamsRazorNice write up.Hamilton AND Frolik. Man this team is gonna be tough every night.

I hope you were not saying nice write up like i wrote that.

I posted the link at the top i just copied and pasted from hockeysfuture page.

Just sharing with the fans here who care about Calgary or just like keeping up with a rivalry.

@OccamsRazor

No I knew it was copy and paste just good to see it in here for a team that I have really started enjoying over the past few years. Calgary is one of my Western conference clubs who I enjoy immensely for their style, Hartley deserves props for taking the lemons he has been handed and making lemonade. The team is not built like a normal club but he has taken what he has and ran with it, rejects such as Hudler and Hiller as well as an awesome defense and kids such as Monahan and Gaudreau, well, throw in a solid draft and Hamilton and Frolik, they are building something nice here.

@OccamsRazor

No I knew it was copy and paste just good to see it in here for a team that I have really started enjoying over the past few years. Calgary is one of my Western conference clubs who I enjoy immensely for their style, Hartley deserves props for taking the lemons he has been handed and making lemonade. The team is not built like a normal club but he has taken what he has and ran with it, rejects such as Hudler and Hiller as well as an awesome defense and kids such as Monahan and Gaudreau, well, throw in a solid draft and Hamilton and Frolik, they are building something nice here.

Ok just making sure. Yes Hartley has done well out West. Their blueline will be much better with Hamilton now. He has a good young squad to work with.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived