Sumo Wrestler as Goalie?

Salvat36

Alright if you couldn't tell by my topic I'm not a hockey guy. However, after a long debate with my buddy I decided to take it to the boards. I believe a sumo wrestler or massive guy wearing massive pads would make for a pretty decent goalie. Also, sumo wrestlers are pretty agile for their size and already used to the goalie stance. He disagrees and told me I would get ripped apart by true hockey fans for even suggesting such craziness. So have at it guys.

They have sumos in Alabama??

Who knew......

:P

Anyways, that is actually a long running joke amongst NHL fans...there are some logistical and gravitational issues with putting a bonafide sumo in net, but don't be surprised if goaltenders a few years from now tend to be of the 'wider' variety....there are ton of over 6'3 goalies in the league NOW, when not so long ago, if you were 6'3  or 6'4, you'd be considered a "monster" in net.

Now that seems average.

Thing is, many of these tall goalies tend to be thin.

But, sure as rain or snow, someone will discover some 6'5 or 6'6 goaltender, who weighs about 250+ pounds, who moves like cat..then EVERYONE and their scout momma will be scrambling to find their own "sumo".

So....while I wouldn't go signing Akebono just yet, don't be surprised if goalies get bigger and wider...while still being agile over the next couple decades or so.

@Salvat36 - I seriously doubt it would work, unless the sumo wrestler in question had been playing competitive hockey for most of his life. In which case he probably wouldn't end up being a sumo wrestler. There are restrictions on the size of much of the gear that goalies can wear (leg pads for example can be no more than 11" in width). The only advantage you might get would be the size of the chest protector, but all goalies already wear chest protectors that are noticeably wider than their own torsos. So you already have big guys wearing big pads playing goal, and these big guys are quick, athletic, flexible, and highly trained. The relatively small increase in size you might get wouldn't come close to offsetting the drawbacks of having someone who can barely skate or handle the puck playing goal.

Think of it this way- sumo wrestlers aren't the only very large people around. There are plenty of big (and fat) kids growing up all over the world (including Canada and other hockey playing nations) and some of them probably even played hockey growing up. If it worked, it would already have happened. Steve Mason is 6'4" and can do this:

steve-mason-hot-in-flyers-victory.jpg

I doubt that a 6'0", 300lb  sumo wrestler (or a 6' 1" 300 lb nose tackle for that matter) would have the agility to do that kind of thing.

Alright if you couldn't tell by my topic I'm not a hockey guy. However, after a long debate with my buddy I decided to take it to the boards. I believe a sumo wrestler or massive guy wearing massive pads would make for a pretty decent goalie. Also, sumo wrestlers are pretty agile for their size and already used to the goalie stance. He disagrees and told me I would get ripped apart by true hockey fans for even suggesting such craziness. So have at it guys.

This has been done and tested after Wang made that dumb comment. George freaking Parros the enforcer who was not too good at hockey, lit the sumo up lol.

Dunno the answer.  But, nowadays we have these huge goaltenders covering most of the goal.  And they are excellent goaltenders.  The only way goals are scored are by screening them.  So, we have setups of 6 or 7 players in a scrum in the slot.  Points are firing into that mess hoping for a redirection of some kind.  

Funny way to play hockey, but that's often the way it's done now.

I've suggested this before many times too in other forums. Believe me it's coming.......  Tall, wide goalies are the present and future of the NHL.    :)

In the posted video they took someone with no training. If you get a big guy and teach him the angles and how to position himself correctly, this becomes more feasible.

This has been done and tested after Wang made that dumb comment. George freaking Parros the enforcer who was not too good at hockey, lit the sumo up lol.

The sumo could've simply been distracted by the 'stache. Just sayin'. Lol

Yes....all this crap came from a Charles Wang comment, not to long after he bought the NYI. Can you imagine what the old guard of owners were saying......LOL, they must have thought he was right off his rocker....no Mr.Wang....that does not make you an outside of the box thinker.....or in this case, outside the big stinky underwear!!

Archived