Dreger: "Edmonton will be destination of choice"

JR Ewing

“The Edmonton Oilers will be a very attractive organization for many family guys in the future because of everything that has gone on and will go into this new facility and the build that they have there. It is going to be structured to cater to every need of the family. Mrs. Hockey Player drops the kids off at the arena – they are looked after from start to finish. With mini stick rinks and (laughs) all kinds of support help.

And you know what? That’s going to matter. That’s going to matter in the off-season when the player is looking for the right fit for his family and all of the sudden they look at this brand new facility and look at all of the support that there is for the family? You better believe that matters. The money is going to be there anyway, from a contract standpoint.

Edmonton is going to be a destination of choice in the not-too-distant future.”

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/dreger-babcock-and-mclellan-have-raised-the-benchmark-for-salaries-1.291707

Skip ahead to 14 minutes for the part regarding Edmonton specifically.

Podein asks a really good question: will that tax rate stay the same with the NDP in power now? I'm not Carnac the Magnificent, so I don't know for sure, but I can imagine a possibility where it does indeed go up. Business taxes will; we know that.

EDIT - I enjoyed my time in Edmonton, but I have to admit, that I immensely preferred this past "winter" here on Vancouver Island so much more than any I had in Edmonton. Mind you, millions of dollars and great family care helps take the sting. But don't worry: it's a dry cold.   ;)

If I'm coming up for free agency and I'm considering Edmonton, I'd hope my contract wasn't up for a year or two until I could see what the new government will do. If they leave personal tax rates alone, Edmonton stays high on my list. If they raise them significantly, I may rethink it. I wonder if any upcoming free agents will feel the same.

If I am a 25-30 goal scorer and an UFA you can bet your bottom that I am going to list playing on the wing with McDavid as a priority.

James Neal is a case in point, a good player in Dallas, a bump statistically playing alongside Crosby and a significant drop off with Carrie Underwood's hubby feeding him the puck. Edmonton is going to be a prime destination real soon.

@ScottM

@JR Ewing

Re: taxes. The new regime sounds pretty moderate actually, especially it's leader, so I don't think there will be bug surprises. I think they will do what they said they would do - whatever that is. 

People might be shocked - or not - to learn that up until now, Alberta had a flat tax: everybody, regardless of income was taxed 10%. It was the outgoing government that tabled a budget that got rid of the flat tax and introduced progressive taxation. 

@ScottM

@JR Ewing

Re: taxes. The new regime sounds pretty moderate actually, especially it's leader, so I don't think there will be bug surprises. I think they will do what they said they would do - whatever that is. 

People might be shocked - or not - to learn that up until now, Alberta had a flat tax: everybody, regardless of income was taxed 10%. It was the outgoing government that tabled a budget that got rid of the flat tax and introduced progressive taxation. 

Agreed. Even with the freaking out in some circles, I'm not expecting tons of ultra left wing decisions coming from the Alberta NDP. I wouldn't expect a significant personal tax rate increase.

James Neal is a case in point, a good player in Dallas, a bump statistically playing alongside Crosby and a significant drop off with Carrie Underwood's hubby feeding him the puck. Edmonton is going to be a prime destination real soon.

Totally agree, a player like Neal would could potentially go from 30 goals to 50+ playing on McDavid's wing. I still think it will be 3-4 years before the Oil are legit contenders, so the UFA's going there, if they care about winning, they will have to be on their second last deal, not the last. A player who is a UFA at 28 or 29 would be interested in signing on with the Oilers, but somebody who is 34-36 range, they will look elsewhere for the last attempt at the Cup. The Oilers big advantage right now is having the cunning Chicarelli on the pay role as GM. If some moves can be made to speed up the process, but not get taken to the cleaners....Peter will find a way to accomplish that, without sacrificing a big portion of their future.

Archived